cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

519 Numbers...

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the proper topic area for this question, so if not... move it, I guess.

Is there a chance in the future we could get/pick 519 numbers? I'd prefer 519 over 226 as petty as it may seem.

35 REPLIES 35

@Barryere wrote:

Landlines are technically more reliable in contrast to VOIP lines as people think they work when the power goes out and there is no internet, but this is only because there is a battery in the phone itself... once that dies (30 minutes or so) you are without a phone.

Yes, landlines are more reliable, but the reasoning is more basic than that.  

You need to think further back.  Think beyond the time of cordless phones and think beyond the times of fancy Vista phones with call display screens.  These types of phones did require electricity or some type of battery backup.

When there's a power failture, there is no 30 minute-or-so limit to be able to keep using your landline phone.  Even without electricity to rest of the house, you could actually keep using a landline forever (as long as the phone company still has power to maintain service). 

Old style phones that don't require themselves to be plugged into a hydro outlet will keep working indefiinitely without electrictiy service.  Enough power goes through the phone line itself to power a basic corded phone. Your hydro service could be down for days, and in theory, a landline could still work.  The phone company still does need electricity to operate the phone lines, but it is routed differently than the power is routed to your house.  

Another scenario would be if someone forgets to pay or behind on the electricity bill and it gets cut off. The landlline would keep working (as long as the bill has been paid for that service).

Barryere

Any way, going back to my original question, if there are no 519 numbers with PM hopefully they will have some in the future.

Barryere

Eh, I have cable internet and my dad has DSL through TPIA.

Since he is not directly with Bell, he gets the privilege of his internet going out occasionally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

@hairbag1

To avoid any further confusion/misdirection, I do not live with my parents but I do visit them frequently.

My dad will NEVER change his internet plan, he is happy with it and I have tried countless times in the last 10 years he has had it to get him to switch, he won't. He pays about $500/yr for it.

I have told him about QOS on his router and he said he'd look into it but odds are he hasn't.

I don't mind helping people out, but when you try to help out and that help becomes useless because it goes unused I have grown tired of helping. It's exasperating to hear my name followed by "I need help with something [because I haven't taken the time to learn what I bought]".

This thread has already wandered around alot so whatever...choices also depend on what's available in your market. I live in a rural area. There might still be dial-up I'm not sure. There's the satellite service that explores your wallet. Then there's cell-internet like Telus Smart Hub. That's it. No cable. No dsl. No fibre. There is a landline cable though so there's that.

Barryere

@hairbag1

To avoid any further confusion/misdirection, I do not live with my parents but I do visit them frequently.

My dad will NEVER change his internet plan, he is happy with it and I have tried countless times in the last 10 years he has had it to get him to switch, he won't. He pays about $500/yr for it.

I have told him about QOS on his router and he said he'd look into it but odds are he hasn't.

I don't mind helping people out, but when you try to help out and that help becomes useless because it goes unused I have grown tired of helping. It's exasperating to hear my name followed by "I need help with something [because I haven't taken the time to learn what I bought]".

Chipster

For stabliizing your VOIP... have your parents tried configuring QOS on their router?

There's a number of useful online help sites to get you started.

https://www.voip-info.org/qos/

https://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-management/management.bandwidth-management/how-to-prioritize-voip...

@Anonymous, this is what I was attempting to say.  Thanks for clarifying.

Cordless land lines are useless as the base station requires power, the handset requires power.

The old wall mounted phone in the kitchen growing up had power delivered to it over thee POTS system.

Depending on where you live, have a look around for alternative ISP's right now as they may have some deals going on for the Christmas season. IN BC we can subscribe to Cancom for internet that costs much less than Shaw Cable.  Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

Landlines are technically more reliable in contrast to VOIP lines as people think they work when the power goes out and there is no internet, but this is only because there is a battery in the phone itself... once that dies (30 minutes or so) you are without a phone.

I'd rather have both a cell phone and VOIP line, but I rent a room and have enough plugged into my walls. Smiley LOL

Well...unless you have a *corded* landline phone.

cordedphone.jpg

Not shown is the cord to the wall plug of course.

I haven't proven this for obvious reasons but I seem to think I've heard that even if you don't have landline service but you do have a landline connection that the line is alive to do a 911 call.

Barryere

I'd rather have both a cell phone and VOIP line, but I rent a room and have enough plugged into my walls. Smiley LOL

Barryere

I've told my family about Public Mobile several times.

My moms on it, don't know how long that'll be since it's not postpaid. Told my brother but he's apparently happy with textNow/textPlus. And my dad just uses his company phone as his personal phone since he barely ever calls anyone - and he showed me that with his phone history, 99% business contacts.

He has a VOIP line but it doesn't work very well and I think this is because his internet is **bleep**ty (6mbps). Speaking of which, I do not recommend anyone try Nettalk, I'm not sure if I'm right about the internet speed but Nettalk is very unreliable; incoming calls don't always ring, outgoing calls don't always call out, and if someone is using too much internet out of that 6mbps your voice and/or the recipient's voice cuts out constantly. And my dad's solution to ask everyone to stop downloading rather than getting a better connection. Smiley Mad We aren't rich by any means but he could definitely afford to get decent internet.

I know VOIP has worked great for me. I used Fongo on my smartphone and as a home phone with my own internet, never had a problem with the home phone but the app may disconnect which I find is solely dependant on your internet gear.

Chipster

Both Cogeco and Bell have offered VOIP for years. In fact Cogeco first partnered with Telus to offer VOIP services.

The only reason I wish I still had a POTS connection, emergency services.

POTS work in power outages.  You must have a non powered direct connection to the service.  For $45 per month, I just can’t afford that safety convienne.

@slash407 wrote:

people still have landlines? and at 40 bucks a pop. Hard to believe

I still have a Bell landline at home.  I don't have the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it comes out to $35/month, tax already added in, but this would be a grandfathered price plan from long ago. 

There actually used to be reason for people to keep landlines.  I'll say that the POTS landline relibility is still miles ahead of any VoIP or cellular line when it comes to reliability.  This is coming from someone who had multiple problems with the landline, but once Bell fixed it (they replaced the NID after complaining of the line constantly going down), it's been rock solid for years.  The other reason was because DSL service costed more on a dry loop, so if you to replace this landline with a $20 Public Mobile unlimited calling plan, the savings would vanish because of that added fee for the internet connection.   I'm aware that dry loop fees are usually waived now.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

A landline from Bell or Cogeco is about $50-60 either way, whether that includes LD or not I have no idea. If I had to guess, they'd likely make you pay even more for LD and $50-60 is criminal as it is.

I just had a look at bell.ca and they're advertising $44.44 for a landlline - local calling only, no features LOL

I feel bad for anyone who does that.... carytel $4.99, teksavvy $9.99 per month

@Barryere wrote:

A landline from Bell or Cogeco is about $50-60 either way, whether that includes LD or not I have no idea. If I had to guess, they'd likely make you pay even more for LD and $50-60 is criminal as it is.

I just had a look at bell.ca and they're advertising $44.44 for a landlline - local calling only, no features LOL

@will13am wrote:

Only people who have very, very legacy plans have local calling feature.  Province wide calling has been the minimum free calling range for some time.  Honestly, we should not have to fret over area code selection in the 21st century. 

I agree with you that the long distance in the 21st century, especially within the same country is a bunch of b.s.

I will say that at least provincial calling being included as the norm, that may be the case for cell phone plans, but sadly, is still not the case for tranditional landline service.  Bell Canada still insists on only including local calling in its residential calling plans.

I am fully aware that less and less people have landlines, but that may not be completely because of the technlology shifts, but because unlimited calling cell phone plans can be had for less expensive that POTS landline services.

@stonechucker wrote:

Brantford is not a local call to either Mount Forest or Windsor Ontario...  lol

@stonechuckerlol. I would be embaressed if I told someone I couldn't call them because I had local calling only.

If someone told me they had local calling only, I would use that opportunity to get a referral and save them a lot of money and be their hero.

Brantford is not a local call to either Mount Forest or Windsor Ontario...  lol

@Barryere wrote:

Everyone I contact uses a Windsor area code.

My brother doesn't even have a real phone plan but he's the only one I know using a Brampton(? / in that area - 519 900 ####) number through textPlus, his textNow number is Windsor though.

@Barryere

NPA-NXX BLOCK Rate Centre Region Switch OCN LATA LIR Eff date Disc date

519-900ABrantfordONBTFDON179MD 154E Iristel Inc.888805107  

That’s actually a Brantford local exchange.  I only know this, because the City Transit bus stops IVR uses a 519-900-xxxx number.

Barryere

Everyone I contact uses a Windsor area code.

My brother doesn't even have a real phone plan but he's the only one I know using a Brampton(? / in that area - 519 900 ####) number through textPlus, his textNow number is Windsor though.

@RobertQc wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Local calling is the issue.  Next door neighbours on a landline, a local employer trying to reach you, the local doctor trying to reach you.

A cell phone always calls 'local' without charge in the area they are in.  A landline ONLY calls free of charge to the local calling area.  

I refuse to make someone local to me, call me long distance.

@stonechuckerInteresting- so you are saying someone with a landline that calls a 519 number from a 519 number may still incurr long distance if its in a different city? It's not all about the area code?

Learn something new every day (today two things!)

Local calling areas are not based on area codes.  They are based on where the call originates and where the call is going.  Each originating citiy for an outgoing call has a unique local calling area.  The 519 area code covers many different cities, many of which are long distance calls from each other.  For example, if someone who has a 519 Ktichener phone number and uses a landline to make an outgoing call to a 519 area code number in Windsor, that is a long distance call.

I would say that many (if not most people) using a landline are still on basic calling plans that do not any type of long distance outside of that city's local calling area.

By taking a phone number from a different city, even a nearby one, you may be forcing others  to pay long distance charges to call you (even if they are calling from a place with the same area code).

Barryere

@stonechucker wrote:

The last landline service I paid for was an 'access line' from Bell for $19 a month.  It was simply to receive the call from the box on the wall outside the apartment main door, so I could answer and turn away, or buzz in a visitor.

I do not know what a local calling landline plane costs these days, as I only use my cellular phone at home, including the apartment door buzzer now.  Note... the property manager will not allow a non-local number be set-up as the call box is designed for local calls only.

I'm at a cross-roads for phone service and I have been since I've had my own phone (4-5 years). I absolutely despise pricing of services be it for the phone or internet, but that's what's there and they know they have you in the corner.

There will come a point I think where once VOIP becomes popular enough because a landline is so outrageously priced that companies like Bell and Cogeco will take new measures to create wealth by going into the VOIP business or by upping the cost of internet/tv services.

As for Bell, they have already been working on a project for the last 5-10 years to reduce costs on their end. Soon we'll have fiber optics everywhere and the boxes to control it will reside in our own houses so we'll be paying the electricity for it while Bell gets to charge us the same or more for internet so we'll be paying for both the electricity and our internet. What a world...

The last landline service I paid for was an 'access line' from Bell for $19 a month.  It was simply to receive the call from the box on the wall outside the apartment main door, so I could answer and turn away, or buzz in a visitor.

I do not know what a local calling landline plane costs these days, as I only use my cellular phone at home, including the apartment door buzzer now.  Note... the property manager will not allow a non-local number be set-up as the call box is designed for local calls only.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Only people who have very, very legacy plans have local calling feature.  Province wide calling has been the minimum free calling range for some time.  Honestly, we should not have to fret over area code selection in the 21st century.  I long for the day when I can select an AB area code to save on PST and not have my contacts yell at me for costing them long distance charges.  With Public Mobile, it seems like the number selection is rather limited.  Being a third tier service, they probably get the dregs from Telus/Koodo. 

Barryere

I'm not overly burdened by having a LD number. Everyone I contact has Canada wide features, however, as mentioned... for doctors and such, it may be unfair to them to have to call me if my number is LD to them.

I've actually thought about cutting out the middle man (PM) and going straight to Telus, as I have had service with them before I know they have (519) but their prices are criminal; as are Bell and Rogers. Quite frankly, Koodo, Fido and Virgin are all one in the same. Prices in Ontario (I can't speak for other provinces) are criminally preposterous. If it wasn't for PM I'd likely stick to VOIP. And if PM goes up in price or I need money for more important things... VOIP it is, again.

A phone is needed and a huge asset to life, businesses know that and like anything they take advantage of it, it's a sick world but here we are.

Oh yes!  519 covers from the Michigan border in the West of Southern Ontario, to areas just west of Hamilton (at Lake Ontario), from Lake Erie north to at least Owen Sound, possibly further.  519, 226, and 548 are all area codes for the entire area.

Brantford to Cambridge is about a 40-minute drive, but it's a long distance call.  Brantford to Simcoe is a much long drive (distance), but it's a local call.

@stonechucker wrote:

Local calling is the issue.  Next door neighbours on a landline, a local employer trying to reach you, the local doctor trying to reach you.

A cell phone always calls 'local' without charge in the area they are in.  A landline ONLY calls free of charge to the local calling area.  

@stonechuckerInteresting- so you are saying someone with a landline that calls a 519 number from a 519 number may still incurr long distance if its in a different city? It's not all about the area code?

Learn something new every day (today two things!)

Need Help? Let's chat.