cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Reasons Public Mobile New Canada-US 40GB Plan OUTDID the Freedom Mobile Canada-US 40GB Plan

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Potential or Existing customer, below 5 reasons you should consider. Both Public and Freedom are my favorite carriers in Canada so I wrote this uses facts, no biased opinions. Public seems to be the best option for the foreseeable future at least for now🙂

•Public on Telus 5G/4G Network vs Freedom 4G Network has annoying Nationwide Network. Freedom's new Seamless Nationwide Roaming feature would not fix Dead Spots within Freedom home zones. (Dead Spots; imagine having full service, you can place phone calls however despite LTE being displayed data does not load).

•Public speeds slowed to 512Kbps vs 256Kbps on Freedom.

•Public has no 25% Usage Cap on Roaming vs Freedom does if it reoccurs on multiple billing cycles, service maybe terminated or suspended with Freedom if you go beyond 10gigs roaming on consequtive months.

•Public awards points.

•Public has a nicer app.

(This is not a Question, hopefully posted this comment in the right section).

18 REPLIES 18

Stonechucker1

Points are worthless to former legacy plan members. But I will agree the $512 make it there throttle is better than others. That is the lonely reason I am on public mobile rather than freedom.

Mkal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I prefer freedom for one reason, because it does Wi-Fi calling ( Vowifi) . You can use as long as Wi-Fi is connected even out of country . 
but public mobile doesn’t have an option for Wi-Fi calling . That’s the only thing which puts me in another career 

ipro31

Hey @kd7iwp ,

Yes, safe to assume a flanker brand has better network then Freedom. Freedom comes close if your in a good area they cover. I'm in a good Freedom zone however I can get annoyed if I go to certain parts of town where there are dead spots.

It keeps getting better but the wait is slow. 

For me, comes down to the plan. I finally switched back to Public because they matched the Freedom Canada-US plan so this was a no brainier. I prefer Public considering finally they almost matched the Freedom plan. Public no Unlimited Data unfortunately yet on the 4G plans so that's a bummer. Another bummer, Freedom customers are getting upgraded to 5G. Public Canada-US plan customers stuck on 4G. However, for the no unlimited data, my usage is 23gigs to 30gigs so the 40gigs should be sufficient. Regarding 5G with Freedom, it's probably very limited and they are just beginning the major work. Freedom has benefits just like Public so whatever right lol. 4G is still way better then 3G. 3G will be gone in year 2025 so 4G totally fine. Use WiFi for streaming and doing updates you should be good. 

Now that I have a decent Public plan that's very comparable to the Freedom plan I'm happy at the moment. No plans to change the plan anytime soon.

I don't care much for WiFi calling within Canada because Public has good Telus Network.

kd7iwp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am normally a Fido user in Abbotsford, BC (really like the fast, reliable network) but go to the US quite frequently. I was delighted to try Freedom's Canada/USA plan and while it was great in the USA, it was quite mediocre in Canada. I tried their eSIM in my iPhone 14 Pro for a month. Now I'm trying Public Mobile's USA/Canada plan for a while and I'm finding the speed/reliability to be much better than Freedom's (but not quite as good as Fido's). 

A few additional things that weren't listed in this original post:

1. Freedom has WiFi calling (which is great when you travel to other parts of the world where Public Mobile may not work
  2. Freedom provides Visual Voicemail on iPhones (I only get 2-3 voicemails a year so I can live without it on Public, but I am disappointed it's not an option).
  3. Freedom could not port over my Aldergrove, BC phone number to their system and it was basically a deal breaker for me to lose the number I've had for 15 years.
  4. Just thought of this one, I think Freedom also supports Apple Watch but I don't hear about that from Public Mobile (sorry if I'm wrong).

ipro31

@Proxima 

Freedom Mobile was important for affordability in mind. Public Mobile is the closest I feel I can get to that level and remain on a flanker brand. 😄

ipro31

Hey @Proxima ,

As for me I now only consider Canada-US plans. I'm so used to the idea of having a 2 country plan this is only what I would consider. Paying $50 + tax is the max. Definitely not more then $60. $50 is much more fair to pay.

The only companies I like for this type of plan are just Public and Freedom. I do prefer to stick to Public going forward for obvious reasons. Public is just much more predictable for Canada based coverage and if I move elsewhere in the city Freedom is risky if I moved to a dead spot. It's a nightmare to think about lol. 

At least I feel good that I more less supported Freedom between years 2015-2023. Now Freedom is big enough where they don't need me anymore haha 😂

Who knows how much longer Freedom will be the black sheep considering the company keeps getting sold off.

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I actually I may take the $50 plan because it is quite good actually,  in Canada we are  conditioned to using so little data, at one point I had an unlimited plan with Telus EPP it did come in handy for those times where the power went out.. but when I have a power outage in the evening it’s nice just to turn off the phone and relax lol.. some nights I mimic a power outage and then I just turn on some relaxing thunderstorm type videos on YouTube, or I watch macaque monkeys groom each other because it’s so relaxing

Proxima

The other day for a brief moment I saw a $55 plan which included 50GB of data and unlimited throttling for 30 days, They  also had a 90 day option for 150$ included 150GB of data and unlimited throttling afterwards, Canada only plan.. i’m from BC.. but I didn’t take it because I don’t wanna pay $55 a month. 50 would’ve been great but I didn’t want to be locked in a 90 day contract

ipro31

Hey @Proxima 

For sure depends on your needs to justify the extra expense. Everyone in my family just has a Canada plan, except for me. I need every excuse to get out of Canada, even just for a day 😂 so I like having this plan it's just convenient. 

I also typical use between 23gigs to 30gigs each month on average. 40gigs is perfect considering Public Mobile still doesn't do unlimited data yet on 4G plans. I don't like any possibility of having to deal with emergency data bucket purchases unless it's a freak accident.

I really hope Public will make unlimited data on all plans just like Freedom and flanker brand Lucky. But again we live in Canada where the people can't decide...😂

Proxima

I’m sure it’s a great deal if you travel to the US frequently enough to justify it. But I only go there may be  Once every 2 to 3 years. So I don’t see the point on my part for paying an extra $12 a month for more gigabytes that I’m not going to use. i only use between 5 and 10gigs per month at the most. 

ipro31

@computergeek541 

"It's a Lounge topic.  Not sure why Oracle hasn't moved it yet." 

ipro31

@computergeek541  

There was a solution based on learning no Unlimited Reduced Speeds on 4G plans. You can believe was you like. However, I disagree with your choice on this 😂😂😂

self soultion removed (and there is no solution to a thread that isn't asking a question)

Hi @HALIMACS I am not sure if it is a Lounge material, but certainly should be be a self solution 😉 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @ipro31 

not sure Freedom   But this plan does not have unlimited data, so the slow down comparison does not apply with this plan 

ipro31

@XionBunny  @HALIMACS 

So benefits over Freedom is still a better network, no usage caps using roaming services multiple consecutive months beyond the 25% allotment, and there's points so that adds up at least.

The points which add up can be used toward credits off the bill or can be used toward emergency data buckets. So no more unlimited data I think I can manage and still be sticking with Public Mobile.

Based on my Freedom usage details it looks like I only would of utilized their 256kbps speeds only the month of March. (Back then I actually had 56gigs of data which explains how I used 50.8).
But assuming I had 40gb in March only would've used 256kbps speeds once in an 8 month period. I remember I probably downloaded something. Now with good wifi that wouldn't happen typically. So, simple terms based on both plans from the 2 carriers I benefit more out of the Public Mobile plan. (That's just me personally).

June 20-July 19: Used 22.3GB
May 20-June 19: Used 26.3GB
April 20-May 19: Used 26.4GB
March 20-April 19: Used 50.8GB
Feb 20-March 19: Used 29.7GB
Jan 20-Feb 19: Used 21.5GB
Dec 20-Jan 19: Used 14.4GB

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@ipro31 

It's a Lounge topic.  Not sure why Oracle hasn't moved it yet. 

Indeed, the flanker brands and such are taking turns at being better with little tidbits here and there.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The slow speed data would not apply to this plan, the slow overage speed only applies to 5G data tier plans. All other plans are hard cut after your data is used up, so you can not really count that as a reason when considering this plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.