cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G plans

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm a little confused by the introduction of 4G plans and can only think this is a marketing gimmick. Given that 3G networks are supposed to shut down across the country sometime soon (I seem to remember end 2022 but that was pre-pandemic plan), and, after that, all data will be on 4G networks, is the "3G service" just going to be throttled back 4G?

4 REPLIES 4

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs 

3G will be shutoff in 2025 so there are 3 more years to go. 
Please note the the lower tiers of the big 3 are on 3G and some mid-tiers.

I think 5G is more of a gimmick than 4G since 4G test proves that it is faster than 5G so far. Advancements on 5G frequency will be faster once they figure on how it will go through walls.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs 

3G network shut down in canada 2025

not this year,

Plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, and plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds up to 100 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network.

@computergeek541 wrote:

These plans aren't abou tthe network type but rather about the speed of data. Both types of plans use the same networks.  Also, the HSPA/3g network will not be shutting down this year, and this won't be happening at least for another few years.

Just to better understand all this about 3G/4G and shutting down of 3G sometimes in the future:

If and when 3G gets turned off, what is going to happen with old phones (Samsung S7 for example) and service from PM?

Will we be forced to get new phone? New SIM? Forced to change Plans?

I do not care for data speed. I use data in extreme situations (SMS/calls through voip app where no WiFi is close by) thus would care less if I have no data at all.

@jimbobs wrote:

I'm a little confused by the introduction of 4G plans and can only think this is a marketing gimmick. Given that 3G networks are supposed to shut down across the country sometime soon (I seem to remember end 2022 but that was pre-pandemic plan), and, after that, all data will be on 4G networks, is the "3G service" just going to be throttled back 4G?

These plans aren't abou tthe network type but rather about the speed of data. Both types of plans use the same networks.  Also, the HSPA/3g network will not be shutting down this year, and this won't be happening at least for another few years.

Need Help? Let's chat.