cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40GB Data at 4G Speed - USA data coverage

racheee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello Community,

I went to the USA last year, and I had a 3G plan. I found that Public Mobile doesn't support 3G in the USA. Now I want to upgrade to a 4G plan (40GB Data at 4G Speed) and be sure if I can connect the internet with this upgraded plan and use the data in the USA.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

racheee

Thank you so much for your helpful response!

@racheee Generally you won't see the VoLTE option, as it's in the background. That said, I don't believe the A71 is on the VoLTE whitelist, so you likely won't be able to make phone calls while in the US. The only way might be if you happen to find a T-Mobile 2G connection, but YMMV. Text and data should be fine with a roaming add-on.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

racheee

Thanks for your response, so for data, I can buy a 15-day add-on.

For calls, in Settings/Connections/Mobile Networks, I can't see VoLTE. My phone is Samsung A71.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@racheee  I don't see a $40 Canada/US plan with 40GB at 4G speed, there is a $40 for 75GB Canada US plan at 5G speed and the $34 for 50GB as already mentioned.  There was no 3G speed Canada US plan last year so you must have had a roaming add on because otherwise there would be no service in the USA regardless.  

You mentioned data specifically. While you need a VoLTE phone for voice calls in the US your data should still have worked unless you only bought the $15 talk and text only US add on.  Perhaps telling us what phone you have might help.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

The "3G" your plan states refers to speed, not what network you can connect to. Even on a 3G plan you can connect to the 4G and 5G networks.

But because the US has shuttered their 3G networks, you'll need a VoLTE compatible phone if you plan to make phone calls in the US:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The 40GB plan doesn't include US roaming, if you want that you'll need to subscribe to the $34 CAN/US plan with 50GB or buy a 15 day roaming add-on.

More importantly you will need a phone that is VoLTE enabled on PM for calling to work smoothly in the US. For data you will need a 4G/LTE capable phone.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@racheee 

the US has shut down 3G for their calling..now you must have a volte enabled phone OR a phone that wiill drop to 2G for calls. Your text and data will work regardless 3 G or 4G. Make sure you enable Roaming Data....and Network set to 4G...not 5G. I turn my roaming data ON and just leave it on.

edited wording

Need Help? Let's chat.