cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G data is being used although my data is turned off?

abbigalececcato
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone, I have data turned off on my phone constantly, I only use my wifi at home.  However, on my account I  notice that somehow 3G data is being used?  It is a very small amount (0.001 MB).  Here is a line from my usage:

09/01/2021 1:45Web     0.001 MBMB$0.00

I have several of these showing, and I am wondering why is this happening, am I doing something or using something on my phone that is accessing data, even thought I think I am not?
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

@abbigalececcato 

As mentioned all incoming/outgoing texts (SMS/MMS) are unlimited as is all incoming calling. The only thing metered is your outgoing calling (100 min) which also counts your calls to voicemail from your device against your limit. Calls from another phone to your voicemail do not. Just press star (*) when you connect and enter your pin#. Known outgoing minutes that currently do not count against your minutes include:

1.  Call forwarding
  2. 1 "800" numbers (toll free)
  3. 611

If you recieved the holiday 500 international long distance calling min add on then these minutes will be used if you exceed your 100 minutes alottment per 30 days. You will recieve a text message from pm informing you have 10 minutes remaining on your plan minutes.To supplement the $15/100 min plan most customers purchase (add funds then buy) the $5/500min canada wide calling add on. This one time purchase will remain on your account rolling over each 30 days until completely used. Could take months could take years but its there to supplement your plan if needed.

@abbigalececcato wrote:

So does this mean I can send MMS messages and not worry about on the 15/100 min plan?

On a plan that includes unlimtied text messaging, MMS is also unlimited, so yes.

abbigalececcato

So does this mean I can send MMS messages and not worry about on the 15/100 min plan?

abbigalececcato

Hi, I do think I am sending an MMS message or receiving one.  How would I know if I am sending an MMS vs an SMS message?  I always thought a reply was just a reply when texting?  

I am very new to this, so sorry if the question seems trivial, I am trying to learn.  The last thing I want to do is send a bunch of messages and find out that I blow through my plan, which is 15/100 per month.
Thanks

@stevenanto 

In the daily usage the  as the OP has shown MMS will show a small amount of data being used but as mentioned by @will13am this does not count against your mobile data as it goes thru a separate server. You can completely use up all your data and these small amounts of usage will still appear in the usage section..

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is most likely picture and video messaging. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

MMS never consumes mobile data.  MMS goes through a proxy server and is a separate stream from all other mobile data.  

@will13am 

I know that. But I seem to recall reading some reports matching MMS to these little 1KB hits.

@Anonymous wrote:

@abbigalececcato : Do you send MMS picture texts? I seem to think I've seen a few of these .001MB hits. If you're on the $15 plan then you'd have to send 250,000 picture texts to use your data at that rate. What does your front page counter say for data consumption? That's the one that really matters.

MMS never consumes mobile data.  MMS goes through a proxy server and is a separate stream from all other mobile data.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Small amounts of leakage like this can be expected.  On some of my phones, I have noticed that the WiFi connection is made quite late in a reboot sequence and so a mobile connection is made first.  There could be a bit of data usage in the boot sequence between mobile connection made and WiFi connection made.  There are probably other circumstances where mobile data could be operational over WiFi.  

@abbigalececcato 

There is an approximately 5mb buffer when the phone or an app connects to mobile data. You can reset this by toggling airplane mode on/off. Then you can get a more accurate reading of data usage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abbigalececcato : Do you send MMS picture texts? I seem to think I've seen a few of these .001MB hits. If you're on the $15 plan then you'd have to send 250,000 picture texts to use your data at that rate. What does your front page counter say for data consumption? That's the one that really matters.

Need Help? Let's chat.