cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Plans Gone, Data plans for existing customers now start at $29?

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The $15 and $25 3G plans are gone. A new $15 voice/text only plan has appeared. Also a new $21/3GB plan for new customers. This is not looking good.

26 REPLIES 26

mitchnet12

I think the $15 plan will compell people to port their land lines over to a cell phone. The land lines are a joke with how they're held together with spit and baling wire for double the price, plus long distance. Even the old $25 plan was a bargain to ditch the land line!

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I have the original $15 plan with the 250 MB.  I rather have data than calls. This plan is for a child, they need the data for school. I Messageed cs to switch in January to the black Friday deal at 4GB for $24.00 and two different agents refused to give me the plan, saying it was for new customers is only. I've been here many years with multiple plans. I find that this move is not good. The one consolidation that I have is that they're constantly removing and adding plans. So hopefully they will go back to the original basic plans in a week or two.

I will stick with the original $15@250 /100 until forced. 

hi @WPLL yes pay every 90 days.  Pay $75 upfront and PM gives you all 60GB to use for 90 days. Just make sure you don't see them up too quickly 😀

WPLL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For $25 for 20 gb of 4G LTE data plan (90 day subscription required),

is that means paying $75 up front for 60G ?

for those on the old $25 3G speed speed, it is almost no brainer to move to $25 20GB (for 90 days subscription), better speed (4G) and more data, just the downside is 3 months contract

for those on $15 plan, it is a too go or not to go debate.  $15 for unlimited calls but no data at all.. or $15 on the old one but with 250Mb on 3G speed. 

@hTideGnow Agreed. But we're likely seeing the start of the shift away from the marketing aspect of the term 3G, in preparation for the eventual decommissioning of the 3G network.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@umnikke8 wrote:

The $15 and $25 3G plans are gone. A new $15 voice/text only plan has appeared. Also a new $21/3GB plan for new customers. This is not looking good.

@umnikke8 , thanks for posting this. I usually check the plans every night & morning but I saw your thread 1st!

I am still on the $15 plan with 100 outgoing calls & unlimited incoming, unlimited text/MMS messages, 250mb at 3g speed. I use TextNow for my outgoing calls when on Wi-Fi which works fine for me. I use the data for emergencies when I am not home & during power outages. So, that plan works just right for me. The new $15 plan is useless to me without emergency data & data add-ons are useless for me due to the 30 day expiration. If I had to change plans then I might as well take the one Rogers offers for low income customers - $25 plan with unlimited calling, unlimited text/MMS messages, 3GB of data at 5G Speeds then reduced speeds thereafter plus I get Wi-Fi calling! I am still here due to the plan I am on works for me & I use my rewards to pay towards it.

@umnikke8 

If you are on the higher plan and downgrade to a lower plan to use up the free bonus data…you will instantly lose the bonus data as others have found out.

The bonus data will remain if you upgrade your plan.

Just a heads up.

Actually 'new' $15 plan is not that bad as it offers Unlimited calls Canada wide in addition to existing unlimited texting.
That might be a good reason to get rid of land lime? What other think...?

250MB of data was a joke anyway...

hi @Chalupa_Batman 

remember 3G plan just 3G speeD?

they don't need to force you to change plan, you can still access 4G or even 5G when you are on 3G plan.  

And with 3G decommissioned, the only "bump' up would be they will move you to VoLTE, just hope they can expand the VoLTE whitelist

@Meow wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Actually, a few other cell providers are now removing 3G off of their plan options now. It's more or less getting ready for next year when 3G will be removed in Canada.

So what is that suppose to mean?

Will my (3 years old) plan $15 stop working?
Will I be forced to 'upgrade' to plan and service I do NOT need?

I just think all Telco's are preparing early for it IMO.  As you know, the US stopped using 3G in 2022 while Canada will stop using 3G sometime in 2025, no exact date known yet. One of two things will happen, your current plan will automatically be bumped up to 4G or they may force you to get a new plan. Only time will tell.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Actually, a few other cell providers are now removing 3G off of their plan options now. It's more or less getting ready for next year when 3G will be removed in Canada.

So what is that suppose to mean?

Will my (3 years old) plan $15 stop working?
Will I be forced to 'upgrade' to plan and service I do NOT need?

umnikke8

Double whammy for some on legacy rewards. If they switched plans already they lost their bonus data, if they waited, now there isn't a $15 data plan to switch to. And any remaining on the $15 plan can no longer switch plans or it's gone permanently. I'm assuming Public will continue allowing people already on the old $15 to remain on it indefinitely.

@umnikke8 wrote:

@softechAh sorry, I missed they added those plans. Still misses the intention. And doesn't mean Public shouldn't have similar plans also.

@umnikke8 

I guess it is a give or take.

the new $15 plan now have unlimited calls included, better than the minimum requirement of 100 mins.  It does not have data inlcuded at all, but go back to the guildeline, the low cost plans requirement does not apply to PM  🙂

@Chalupa_Batman again, the low cost requirement does not apply to PM.  It is a requirement for Telus

and remember PM was giving out the 250Mb for free even no autopay was setup??  The words said required but the truth is it was included regardless.  I assume Telus is doing the same and that is how Telus fulfills the CRTC requirement on the $15 plans

umnikke8

@softech Ah sorry, I missed they added those plans. Still misses the intention. And doesn't mean Public shouldn't have similar plans also.

@umnikke8 wrote:

@softechExcept the big providers never offered the plans and are relying on their Tier 2 and 3 brands to supply them. Koodo still has one, but they really shunned the government's goals.

@umnikke8 

check Telus site first, 

if you check Telus site, they do have the plan

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/prepaid/plans

And Telus and PM are using different licenses, Telus cannot relies on PM to fulfill the CRTC requirements

@softech wrote:

They only included the 250Mb data with autopay setup

You remember the day @softech when we got 250mb of data with autopay set up? Oh those good ol days.

Maybe that joke is too soon?? 🙂 

umnikke8

@softech Except the big providers never offered the plans and are relying on their Tier 2 and 3 brands to supply them. Koodo still has one, but they really shunned the government's goals.

@umnikke8 wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman Removing "3G" class service is fine, jacking up prices is not. They don't even have a plan that fulfills the government requirement for low costs plans at $15 now.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

I think you may be correct here. The $15 should have the 250mb of data as the Gov requirement. 

@umnikke8 

the low cost plans requirement does not apply to Public mobile or other Tier 2 and 3 providers.  

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

We are therefore expecting Bell, Rogers, Telus and SaskTel to offer and promote low-cost and occasional-use plans. 

and technically, both Chatr and Lucky do not offer $15 with data.  They only included the 250Mb data with autopay setup

@Halfdome1838 wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out.  I was planning on switching to the 15.00 plan due to the 7.00 loss on my account this coming month but i didn't notice that the plan now was 4 g without data.  This seals it for me and I will be picking up some new sim cards today for my wife and myself for another carrier.  I cannot believe that after almost 10 yrs with public that they reward our loyalty this way.  For some strange reason a new customer has more value than a old one.  For us seniors this is a major slap in the face.  Shame on you Public mobile I will never be back.

I have to admit, I do like the $15 unlimited Canada wide talk/text. It should have been like that from the start. But not to include any data? This plan should have at least 1GB of data. Any plan that has no data shouldn't be more than $10. 

umnikke8

@Chalupa_Batman Removing "3G" class service is fine, jacking up prices is not. They don't even have a plan that fulfills the government requirement for low costs plans at $15 now.

Halfdome1838
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for pointing this out.  I was planning on switching to the 15.00 plan due to the 7.00 loss on my account this coming month but i didn't notice that the plan now was 4 g without data.  This seals it for me and I will be picking up some new sim cards today for my wife and myself for another carrier.  I cannot believe that after almost 10 yrs with public that they reward our loyalty this way.  For some strange reason a new customer has more value than a old one.  For us seniors this is a major slap in the face.  Shame on you Public mobile I will never be back.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

@umnikke8 wrote:

Hello @umnikke8 

Actually, a few other cell providers are now removing 3G off of their plan options now. It's more or less getting ready for next year when 3G will be removed in Canada. I just looked at the plans. In my opinion, the $15 plan should be unlimited with 1GB of data. The $21 plan ($19 x3 months) should be $20 5GB. They are moving in the right direction with these plans.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Here are the newer lower priced plans

$25 for 20 gb of 4G LTE data (90 day subscription required)
$19 for 3 gb of 4G LTE data (90 day subscription required)(New subscribers only)
$15 for unlimited talk and text Canada-wide (no data included)

If you are willing to pay upfront for 90 days, then $25 for 20 GB is a decent deal.  $75 for 60 GB over 90 days.  Planning to switch some of my plans to this deal.  

Need Help? Let's chat.