cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 way transfer? 3 different providers, trying to exit one. very tough situation

reciprocal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I have kinda tried searching for an answer, but this situation is a very rare one and I already am assuming that it is kinda impossible to do because my line with PublicMobile has already been activated and if I transfer away, it'll literally close my account.

Here is my situation.

Currently, I have 2 phones, well one is my relative, the other one is mine.

My own line is currently with Freedom Mobile and I am wanting to switch, but switch to my existing (since it's under my name, email and account) but I want to switch the PM one over to another provider.

Example: I'm with Freedom with phone number #0001 and I have a PublicMobile with phone number #2. I want to change my PM #0002 to the other new provider and keep it's existing # while afterwards, transfer my Freedom #1 to my existing PM #0002, but keep my #0001 number..

If this doesn't make sense.. please try to ask me to clarify because I don't know how else to word this.

Is this even possible? Because my research says no..pm freedom.png

28 REPLIES 28

@reciprocal 

It's up to you if you know their account info....or them. I always say it's worth asking for as I am always amazed at what the CSA's do agree to....2.5gb is still worth $37.50. Yes it was free but if you needed to buy it in an unusual situation then it's cash out of your wallet. What if the glitch reoccurs and another add on is used when plan data should be used or didn't reset correctly upon renewal? It might even be worth having a CSA open a ticket with the tech team to check the account for anomalies.

reciprocal

@darlicious 

And I don't think we'd be able to pursue this case either since we do not have old screenshots and even if we did, I know for a fact my sisters will think it's a hassle to just get about 2.5GB back lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Remember the round of gift data that somehow blew through data at an extreme rate? Good times. 🙂

@Anonymous 

Thanks.

But regardless plan data should always be used before add on data. There was one case where add on data was being used before monthly recurring bonus plan data but the member never bothered to pursue it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I don't have plan data so I can't talk about which gets used first. I still have an old purchased 200mb add-on (with some appended data) on one account. And I still have the original 5gb on another account. So maybe last in first out? Dunno

@reciprocal : The SIM belongs to the account. So keep your original PM SIM that you're porting in to. Keep the Freedom SIM in a phone to confirm the transfer. Then sure, keep it just in case. Then you'll get another text saying it's all done on that SIM. Then put the PM SIM in and you're done.

@reciprocal 

Does your other sisters account still have that gifted 5gb data addon? It couldnt hurt to message customer support and inquire about getting it back saying its only come to your attention now.

How much data do you regularly use monthly? You might want to keep that $20 plan for awhile and enjoy your data add ons at full 4G LTE speeds and save some money before you change your plan unless you are switching to the $15 plan.

Or at least test on day 29 or 30 for us curious regulars as to the features it may or may not have. Just don't run a speed test.

reciprocal

No, we do not login to the PM accounts on the self serve often at all, only times we login is to update it's payment info lol.

We do not have older screenshots, but it's okay, we aren't too concerned about it glitching out and using up the addon gifted data.

__
So yes, I do just pop in the current PM SIM card when I port over Freedom, good to know. No need to order another SIM 🙂

I'm about to run errands (running a bit lateish xd so I'll reply when I can and check your PM)

@reciprocal 

Also....yes you can just put the current pm sim card in your phone and take over the account.

What plan are you changing to? My earlier point is you can have all those same features on the $20 plan as the $10 plan if you test them out before changing plan on renewal and lose the $20 plan forever. You may want to keep it for an extra month to see if that works out with your gifted add ons. You may want that unthrottled 4G LTE data speed.

** Plus my additional comments in the private message I sent you.

@reciprocal 

Ok you might have a problem....do you have older screenshots of the overview page? The 5gb data showing is the 5gb of plan data. The 5gb gifted data add on has been completely consumed. I used a little of the August 2019 gift until the xmas gift 2019 was added then it switched to using it. That is the add on that your sisters account should be currently using.

Perhaps @Anonymous can check his account for current add on data usage to compare.

It's possible a glitch occurred and your sisters 5gb add on gift got consumed one month instead of plan data ( with the plan data and the add on gift data being the same the phone wouldn't know the difference for its tracker and limiter.) However this may be difficult to prove to a CSA without additional screenshot evidence.

I would keep the freedom sim card after replying YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) just because it can be used to edit an APN in certain devices like the Umidigi X when it has greyed out APN settings. Handy to have in case you ever need to help a friend in that situation.

Screenshot_20211109-152513.png

reciprocal

@darlicious 

Yes the one in the screenshot is in question. My sisters are both on the $40/30 day plan since opening in 2018 and I know both use the data limiter on their phones (granted usage tracking on phone is different than service tracking yes) but they usually do not go over 4gb out of their 5gb on their plan and because I actually do ask them to keep track of their usage in case we ever decide to lower their plan cost in the case that they never use close to 5gb

Also I may be stupid here, but since I am porting over my Freedom number to this existing PM account, do I just get new SIM or can I just insert the current SIM card from PM?

So like.. Freedom's SIM card (throw into trash when porting over bc Freedom account will close)
Current PM card - Keep and just swap into my current device?

@reciprocal 

Screenshots of the data and add on section is helpful. Is the one above the one in question? Not all gifted add ons are used in the sequence that makes sense. Let me check my account for the order and we can compare. Has your sister never ever used all of their plan data?

reciprocal

@darlicious Going a bit off topic now, but replying because you have me intrigued on things.

I have already scheduled a plan change on next renewal and will port over my Freedom number near the end of it's service for PM.

There is currently no more $10 50/50 plan though and no I will not be using that plan, but I didn't have that much upkeep to this account as I did not see any emails regarding all these nice gifted (as I am browsing through only 31 emails received from PM) so all the self serve gifts were lost lol.

I had 3 family members on PublicMobile and of course only the August 2019 free 1GB was added for all, unfortunate. lol

EDIT: so I do have access and can manage all 3 PM accounts I see that
1) All 3 accounts of course received the Aug 2019 gift (since no action required)

2) My sister received 3/4 gifts and didn't do one self serve for one of them

3) My other sister did 2/4 gifts lol.

However, both sisters are asking me now how come they have some of their free gifted data used up when they haven't gone over their data plan (its the $40 plan so 4.5gb + 500mb free) cus they do both use data limits on their phones.

Since the August 2019 free 1GB was the first gift they received, it's currently at 0MB used out of the 1024MB.

but with their free August 2020 (5GB free) that one is being used when they aren't over limits of their actual plan.

How come the Aug 2020 free gift is being used even before the August 2019?

@reciprocal 

Maybe once you take over the pm plan/account before you change plans (schedule a change plan on next renewal) that you may want to test what features you may or may not have with that older $20 provincial unlimited talk only plan. If you need at least 1GB of data per month then it is a no brainer to switch to a $25+ plan but many members why those of us with the $10 50/50 plan keep it when it has such low usage limits. Keep this in mind.... as your plan may have similar benefits.

• $10 plan has no data component as a result when purchasing data add ons or receiving gifted data add ons** the data is unthrottled full speed 4G LTE ( all current plans are 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps) the $20 plan should default to the unthrottled 4G LTE data speed.
  • $10 plan has limited incoming and outgoing calling minutes ( 50 min only) but is very easily supplemented with the $5/500min Canada wide calling add on a bargain at only $0.01/min. The $20 unlimited province wide talk only limits the outgoing calling to province wide. The $20 plan can be supplemented with the $5/500min add on (or gifted calling add ons**)for your calls to the rest of Canada (For most the majority of your calls are within your province you are in.)
  • $10 plan has unlimited incoming SMS texts but only 50 outgoing SMS texts. If mobile data is enabled ( you do not need to have an active data component) MMS texts can also be sent and recieved. Does the $20 plan also have this ability to send/recieve MMS only? There is no SMS or MMS texting add on available but the $20 plan must be able to send and recieve texts from pm's 611, 100, 5129 and 5179 coded texts?**

**Did your family member or yourself if you were helping manage the pm account ever take advantage of the free gifted data and minute add ons pm has given their loyal customers over the last couple of years? These are free gifts pm gave out and the conditions for reciept.

• All customers with an active plan on August 19th 2019 were given a 1GB data add on (value at the time=$30) No action on the part of the customer was necessary to recieve this add on. Once added to the account an SMS text was sent to the customer on or after September 5th 2019.
  • In December 2019 pm launched the first annual "more the merrier" campaign and offered current customers a 1GB data add on (value at the time=$30) and 400 international long distance calling minutes (good for Canada/US+18 international destinations=$16). Customers were required to log into their self serve accounts and "purchase" the $0 add ons.
  • In August 2020 the vast majority of pm customers in BC and Alberta were sent a text from pm (5179 I believe) in response to Shaw entering the mobile providers market offering either 1000 min add on=$10 value ($10/$15/$20 plans) or a 5gb data add on=$75 value ($25+plans). Due to a glitch that sent the either both or the opposite offers to intended plans pm gave both add on offers to all accepting customers. Customers had about a week to text a YES reply to the texted offer to qualify for this market response promotion. The add on freebies were then automatically added to customer's accounts.
  • In December 2020 the second annual "more the merrier" campaign was launched offering a 2GB data add on (value=$30) and a 500min international long distance calling add on (value=$25). As previously customers wete required to log into their self serve accounts and "purchase" the $0 add ons.

All of these free add on gifts really help supplement lower priced plans and for those who do not have a plan with a data component the data add ons default to full speed 4G LTE data. At the very least the pm account should have the August 2019 1GB A PROMO DATA ADD ON listed in the account. You may want to check if your family member recieved the text for 1000min and 5gb data add ons?

reciprocal

@hTideGnow 

Freedom is my own number and I want to take over the PM account because it is my name, I just opened it for my relative who only uses talk (was $20 plan with PM that doesn't exist anymore and is very bad because province wide only) and want to use it because of changes in my life situation (coverage with Freedom lol)

The "new line" is with a current subscription with Shaw for $0 for Canada Wide (no data) since we are with Shaw and yes I know Shaw is Freedom's network and it will be fine because my relative is okay with the network, we have discussed this.

Hope this makes sense.

@reciprocal   Yes, unfortunately that is the only want to do

So, you are also opening a new line with another provider ?  You don't put both in PM? which provider are you going with for the new line?

reciprocal

Thank you everyone for your answers as it does confirm what I do know.

I've decided to port over my Freedom (as my Freedom # is more important) into the existing PM, because I no longer want to be part of Freedom (thus losing PM's number, which is fine) and then opening up the new line/provider as the original PM number was not really known by many.

@reciprocal 

You still haven't answered the question of who the new provider is? And is your current pm number originally a telus family number? Answering those two questions will determine if you will be able to retrieve the pm phone number from the holding pool for the new provider.

If the more important number is the freedom number then porting it in thru the change number feature in your self serve account will ensure you keep the freedom number and all of your accumulated rewards.

If your pm number is from the same family as the new provider then it is possible with diligence and a little luck to retrieve your pm number when activating and/or working with the new providers customer service agents at activation to make that arrangement.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Addition 

if your new provider is TELUS family, you might be able to get your PM number back after 90 days since it will be suspended after you move your number from freedom to PM. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reciprocal wrote:

So the best idea is to port over my Freedom to the existing PM and then just open up a new line with the new provider (from the PM one)? that way I can keep my loyalty of 4 years and referral bonuses yes?

@reciprocal : With the above edit....yes. That's how you keep your Freedom number and keep your current PM account. But you lose the current number on the PM account...as mentioned by everybody.

1. port-out = account closure

2. port-in = kill original number

@reciprocal wrote:

So the best idea is to port over my Freedom to the existing PM and then just open up a new line with the new provider (from the PM one)? that way I can keep my loyalty of 4 years and referral bonuses yes?

This only works if you're okay with losing the Public Mobile phone number.  Sorry, but Public Mobile cannot/won't help you with this type of request of swaping the number around between accounts.

reciprocal

@esjliv wrote:

@reciprocal wrote:

Hi. I have kinda tried searching for an answer, but this situation is a very rare one and I already am assuming that it is kinda impossible to do because my line with PublicMobile has already been activated and if I transfer away, it'll literally close my account.

Here is my situation.

My own line is currently with Freedom Mobile and I am wanting to switch, but switch to my existing (since it's under my name, email and account) but I want to switch the PM one over to another provider.

Example: I'm with Freedom with phone number #0001 and I have a PublicMobile with phone number #2. I want to change my PM #0002 to the other new provider and keep it's existing # while afterwards, transfer my Freedom #1 to my existing PM #0002, but keep my #0001 number..

If this doesn't make sense.. please try to ask me to clarify because I don't know how else to word this.

@reciprocal  - I love a visual!

You are right - if you transfer/port your current Public Mobile over to another provider that Public Mobile account will automatically close and you will lose any funds in your account or rewards.

Have you had this account for some time? If not,  just port away.

You CAN port the Freedom number over to the active Public Mobile account, but than that existing Public Mobile number...goes away.

I think it is clear what you are wanting to do. Did I cover it? 

reciprocal

@dabr wrote:

@reciprocal    As you've noted once you port out your number from PM your account will close.  You can of course, port any number into your PM account then, again, you lose the PM number after porting in a new number.

Sorry don't see a way around what you're trying to do there.

Edit: Of course all accounts need to be active at time of porting which I'm sure you know as well.

But so then my loyalty (of 4 years) won't close? but others below your solution says that it would.

@reciprocal 

Who is the new provider? Is your pm number originally from the telus/koodo/pm family? Is your freedom number from the telus family?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reciprocal : None of that huge long post is relevant to your question.

Nope. Porting in on an existing account kills the original number. Porting out closes the account.

Where did the original number come from? If it came from outside the Telus family then maybe you could re-acquire it after a few months by going to the provider.

If you would like to share the first 6 digits we can tell you which provider it came from. Or you can try the link.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal   nice diagram  🙂

But sorry, short answer is NO.  You can NOT transfer your number out and keep your existing plan  😞

of course, if you are willing to sacrifice your current PM account, giving up all the loyalty discount and friends referral you currently have , you can transfer your PM number out, then current PM account will be closed.  

Then created a new PM account (using 2GBBonus  for new plan $35 and over) and then request to port Freedom # in.   

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal wrote:

Here is my situation.

@reciprocal  - I love a visual!

You are right - if you transfer/port your current Public Mobile over to another provider that Public Mobile account will automatically close and you will lose any funds in your account or rewards.

Have you had this account for some time? If not,  just port away.

You CAN port the Freedom number over to the active Public Mobile account, but than that existing Public Mobile number...goes away.

I think it is clear what you are wanting to do. Did I cover it? 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal    As you've noted once you port out your number from PM your account will close.  You can of course, port any number into your PM account then, again, you lose the PM number after porting in a new number.

Sorry don't see a way around what you're trying to do there.

Edit: Of course all accounts need to be active at time of porting which I'm sure you know as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.