cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 payments??

DeanM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I am new to this and made my first payment the other day. i had $45 in my account which I thought was to be used for payment for my next month. I also signed up for autopay. Well time came and the money was taken out of my account online but then I noticed in my bank statement that there was a charge of $51.70 debited as well. How can I get an explaination of why this happened. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi,
Please create a Community account and send a private message to @CS_Agent since we changed the way we communicate with our customers: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Regards,

@CS_Agent pretty sure they've got a community account already--or else how did they start this thread to begin with?  

Regards,

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
Please create a Community account and send a private message to @CS_Agent since we changed the way we communicate with our customers: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Regards,

srlawren

@DeanM wrote:

They debited my card AND took the money from my mobility account as well...So they took the $45 that was in my mobility account and as well charged me $51.70 too...That is the point I am trying to make. The money that is in there is after the fact and no bearing on the point I am trying to get across...

@DeanM Okay I think you might not be understanding how things work.

To pay for your plan (or any add-ons, etc), funds are removed from your Available Funds balance.  This is always, 100% the case.  Think of it like a pre-paid Visa card that can only be used to pay for Public Mobile fees, if that makes it easier.  It's a bucket, and you put money in it*, and Public Mobile takes it out to pay for your renewal.  Short version.

Now, about that asterisk above:  how does money get into your PM account?  There are basically 4 ways:  1) accruing rewards (such as AutoPay) result in credits that are applied toward your renewal cost.  2) you can purchase voucher(s) and credit them to your account, like it appears you did for your first month upon activation.  3) you can make a manual top-up payment at any time, and those funds go into your Available Funds balance.  4) automatic top-ups, which is called Auto Pay.

With that in mind, you manually topped up on Sept 10, and the $17 (+tax) was charged to your credit card at that time, and your Available Funds balance after that top up was $45.  On the 16th, your received an Auto Pay reward of $2, bringing available funds to $47.  That same day, your plan renewed, costing you $45 out of your available funds balance.  NOTHING was charged to your credit card at this time.  After the renewal, you had $2 left in your available funds.  You made a manual top-up payment the same day for $46.16, and $51.70 was charged to your credit card at that time, and your available balance became $48.16.  All of this is correct.  You were not charged anything extra by the system--you explicitly added those extra $46.16 available funds credits at a cost of you to $51.70 after tax.  This is all correct.

There is literally nothing wrong here, it all worked as designed.

Now, you DID in fact over-pay, you are correct.  And you are also correct, there is no refund for doing so.  Going back to that pre-paid Visa analogy, if you put money onto that card, you can't get it back as cash--all you can do is take that pre-paid visa card to a store and buy something with the balance.  Same concept, except you have no physical card, and the only store you can use it in is Public Mobile's virtual store.  This money will remain in your available funds balance, until some of it is used next month to pay for your renewal. The small amount left will remain on your account until your November renewal and get used up then, at which time you will get an AutoPay top-up charged to your credit card for the remainder of the plan cost (+tax).

Hopefully this is clear now.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DeanM

They debited my card AND took the money from my mobility account as well...So they took the $45 that was in my mobility account and as well charged me $51.70 too...That is the point I am trying to make. The money that is in there is after the fact and no bearing on the point I am trying to get across...

DeanM

Sorry I have to laugh and thank you for your reply...What I have in my account on the mobility site has no bearing on what I am trying to figure out and that seems to be the focal point of the replies. I guess the bottom line is that if ever someone is overcharged or charged incorrectly there is no way for a refund. I will try to explain from the very beginning...

I went to walmart  on Aug 15 and purchased a mobility plan for $45 plus tax...Then with the new account I had recieved a credit on my account for $28.00. Realizing that I needed to top it up to $45 I added the extra $17. Forgetting to include money for taxes. Me bad. So Sept 15 rolls around and the money ($45) was still in my account so the next day (16th) it was still there so I signed up for the autopay for the $2 discount. Finally the money was taken from my mobility account and the balance was $3.16.  So a couple days ago I was going to switch my plan and it said I needed to top up my account first. So I added another $45 which brought my account up to $48.16 but then after doing that I did not switch my plan so that left me with the balance you see there now. So today I was in my bank account online and noticed that for some reason my account was debited $51.70. So there inlies the problem. They already debited my mobility account for next months payment and for some reason they also took money out from my bank account. So by all accounts I payed twice. 

@DeanM I have to agree with @srlawren and like I said earlier, you made a payment and they debited your credit card, The system took what it needed for your plan and the rest is sitting there as a credit in your account and will be used for your next 30 day plan. Leave autopay on, DON"T make any other payments and it will not need to debit your credit card on your next payment. The payment after that, your credit card will be debited for the outstanding balance at that time ...of course minus any extra credits you may receive...ie AUTOPAY!

srlawren

@DeanM sorry somehow I missed that message.  I see it now.

I don't get it.  You made a manual top up for $46.16 and $51.70 was debited from your credit card.  $51.70 / $46.16 = 1.12, which means you paid 12% sales tax (guessing you're in a province with a combined 12% tax, right?). 

You made the extra payment when you didn't need to.  You can safely leave Auto Pay on if you like.  On your next renewal date, the system will use $(45 - $2) = $43 of your $48.16 avaialble funds balance, leaving you $5.16.  The following month, the system will use that $3.16 and then do an Auto Pay top up of $($45 - $2 autopay - $5.16 available funds) = $37.84, and your credit card will be charged $42.38.  There's no reason to turn off Auto Pay.

EDIT: correct starting balance sorry

DeanM

the screen shot is above...thanks..

srlawren

@DeanM wrote:

Yes there is money in the account as I had put it in there after the original money($45) was taken out for my new months payment. 

@DeanM okay I'm confused.  Could you please take a screen shot of your transaction history (and black out any personal info like your name, phone number, account number) and post it here so we can help decipher what has happened?

DeanM

Yes there is money in the account as I had put it in there after the original money($45) was taken out for my new months payment. So what I believe happened was they debited my card then took the money out of my public mobility account as well... So I am out $51.70 and no way of talking to a public mobility rep to get this actually straightened out. I cancelled my autopay since I have money in my mobility account again so I dont get double billed.  

DeanM

Yes thank you for that. Even with taxes it does not come out to $51.70. Nothing should have come out of my bank account as I had money in my account on public mobility. So to me it looks like I was double charged. 

@DeanM

With autopay enabled there is no need to be putting extra credit into your account unless you intend to purchase add-ons. The system applies all your credits first then charges your credit card for the difference. 

I don't believe you have double payed. According to your screenshot you still have a credit. 

DeanM

Screenshot 2018-09-17 12.06.56.png

So yes there was $45 in my online account. With tax would have been $50.40. So the $45 was taken out of the account. Then 2 days ago I believe I topped up the account with another $45.00. And today I noticed a withdrawl from my account for $51.70 which doesn't add up from anything. If anything there should have been a couple dollars taken from the account to make up for the taxes. It appears also that I have doubled payed. There is the autopay amount of $2 I have not taken into account. That should have reduced the amount for the new month to $43 plus tax which would have been $48.16. Either way nothing adds up to $51.70. The only thing I can think of is should I not be putting money into my account. That may be why this $51.70 was taken out but like I mentioned even with taxes it doesn't come out to that amount. Thanks

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DeanM wrote:

So I am new to this and made my first payment the other day. i had $45 in my account which I thought was to be used for payment for my next month. I also signed up for autopay. Well time came and the money was taken out of my account online but then I noticed in my bank statement that there was a charge of $51.70 debited as well. How can I get an explaination of why this happened. Thanks

So here's how I understand your situation:

• Before payment, you had $45 in your account.
  • You were charged $51.70.

Go to your Self Serve then click Payment History. Screenshot it with with personal info edited out.

Also, is the $51.70 for the $45 you recharged in your account???

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@DeanM, all plan costs on the Public Mobile website are listed without taxes.  Your credit card statement will reflect the price + taxes charged in your province.

Need Help? Let's chat.