cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15gb for $40 - price increase expectations?

de3pbhogal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I get the 15gb for 40, can Public Mobile increase the price in the future?

9 REPLIES 9

@porcupine wrote:

3 years with PM no increase

Other than the outrageous 30% increase on $10 plan. 

de3pbhogal

I am on the fall 2016 plan, and they did attempt to increase the price but got denied so grand fathered in with the Plan. But if they have the ability to increase, I don't know if I'd want to. With the current market, I can see them increase the prices 

Sony77

Actually, I observe a decrease on all my 4 accounts during last 5 years. 

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

3 years with PM no increase

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@de3pbhogal   $40/15GB might be a limited time offer (in terms of you able to select it and change to), but it is just like other plans, the price and feature on the plan are pretty  much set.  Of course, PM can increase the price for any plan (not just this one) with a 30 days notice.  But overall, PM did not have too many price increases on exiting plans.  I don't recall any price increase on existing (old) plans other than the $10 plan increased to $13

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Mobile data is being commoditized day by day.  I would not expect price increase to be the going concern, but rather obsolescence.  I am on the 2016 fall promo and will be switching over to the $40/15GB plan on renewal.  The pandemic has meant lots of time at home on WiFi shielding me from how much mobile usage has changed in the past 3 years.  I went on a couple of trips this summer, wow I cannot believe the data usage.  The next price increase will likely come from getting more data because 15GB could be obsoleted.   

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@de3pbhogal wrote:

If I get the 15gb for 40, can Public Mobile increase the price in the future?

I would not expect this particular plan to increase price. Usually once you sign up with particular plan it stays 'forever' and become 'grandfathered' plan meaning it is not touched in terms of cost nor features.

Most recent break of this rule was old $10 plan (50/50 plan) which increased cost to $13 for whatever reason.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@de3pbhogal 

Traditionally public mobile will keep a grandfathered or legacy plan price untouched as long as you don't change plans but there are no guarantees with prepaid services as pm simply needs to give customers 30 days notice of any changes in their terms of service if they so chose to do so by any method they deem acceptable. There has been two rate plan hikes....once in 2018 when pm notified customers on the Fall 2016 promo that their 90 day plans would rise by $10 per month from $120/90 days to $150/90 days. After a huge outcry and poor wording of the promotion that indicated the rate plan was "forever" the rate hike was subsequently canceled 24 hours later.

More recently this spring pm haphazardly informed customers with the low use/emergency $10 50/50 plan that they intended to impose a 30% rate hike. Despite not following their terms of service and squashing any real attempt by motivated customers to protest this grossly unjustified and unreasonable rate hike to vulnerable customers the CCTS allowed pm to further strip away prepaid customers few rights under WCC by allowing the 30% rate hike to be imposed contrary to the terms of service.

That said the $40/15gb plan will likely remain untouched as it's been very effective in migrating lower cost plan users to a more expensive plan and Fall 2016 promo customers off of their price protected 90 day plans. It's been a win-win plan from public mobile.

chrisle695

You should be locked in. I've been with Public Mobile for almost 2 years and I have had the same price ever since I signed up.

Need Help? Let's chat.