cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1-888 no service question

pomlady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi I was trying to get in touch with a 1-888 number using my Public Mobile.  Now I am not sure if the 1-888 number was in the US or Mexico as I am in conversations with a business in Mexico but they did call me using a Florida exchange too.   I just figured I would use the 1-888 since it was free.   When I tried to phone the 1-888 using Public Mobile it said that it could not go through, "the service in unavailable in my area at this time".  So then I used my cell phone through Bell using the 1-888 number and my phone call went through!  How is this possible? I thought I could call where ever I wanted to call, as long as I pay for it!  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

pomlady

Thank you, good to know.  I guess in future I will use their Miami phone number then.  The 1-888 number said it was toll free from the US, so figured same for here.  If I go in the Fall I now know to take the Bell phone service provider with me.

Public will not work in Mexico. You might have been able to find a non-toll-free number on their website and called them. That Xmas giveaway add-on included Mexico.

I agree it's weird. I think it should be corrected. Maybe we could inform the company through private message to them or a ticket. If they see a couple requests then maybe they'll think about it. And then in 5 years they might fix it.

pomlady

Hi I do have some International minutes including CDA and US it says that was a giveaway at Christmas must be two years ago and still on my account, so thought that would be fine to use.  Yes I was calling Cancun, now whether that 1-888 was from there or Miami, Florida  I have no idea; guess I can always get in touch with the guy I am speaking to and ask.  But figured it was strange that with Bell it went right through, right away.  If it wasn't for Bell's cell service I would have had to email the person and say that I could not phone him.  He did phone me from his phone, that one was the Miami, Florida phone number.  I am planning a trip to Cancun in early Fall and staying at the place this call was from and  wondering if my PM phone will work there, or do I take the Bell cell phone to call home?  Just too weird IMO.  Just want to figure out what to do in the future regarding this situation.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I looked up something like a Riu in Cancun. They have a bunch of international calling numbers. I tried the Canadian 1 866 with the Public line. Didn't work. Tried it with the landline and it was fine. I wonder if it's a virtualized toll free and it doesn't work here.

Maybe that needs to be looked at and fixed. There's no reason it shouldn't work here regardless of it maybe being virtual.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pomlady   Not all 1800/1888 are set for Canada

But, there is a workaround, download VoIP app TextNow and you can call those number for free.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Some of the 800 and 888 numbers aren't dialable from Canada. If that business isn't interested in Cdn customer...they can block Cdn callers.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Toll free numbers should go through but maybe PM considers only Canadian toll free numbers as 'Canada wide' calls?

It will be interesting to know if you would need International or US long distance add-on to call foreign toll free numbers.

I would like to hear others' experience to learn how it actually works.

Need Help? Let's chat.