cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM now available for new & existing subscribers!

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are excited to announce that starting today, we’re introducing eSIM availability to both new and existing subscribers, along with the rollout of multiple enhancements in My Account. We’ve noticed many of your posts expressing interest about eSIM, and wanted to share how you can easily switch to eSIM. By switching to eSIM, you’ll gain the freedom to be more flexible with your services, whether it’s for travel or efficiently managing both personal and business accounts on a single device!

We made it easy to purchase SIMs at any time, you can purchase an eSIM or SIM Card directly from the app and My Account. 

Before you get started

• If you purchase an eSIM, you must do it with the device you want to install it on.
  • You can only install your new eSIM through the app. 

How to transition from a SIM card to an eSIM

1. Download and install the Public Mobile app on your device
  2. Open the app and select one of the the following locations: 
     - Subscription & add ons
     - Empty cart 
     - Lost/stolen banner
  3. Select ‘Purchase SIM’ and select the SIM type of your choice
  4. Select ‘Pay & Install’ and complete the payment. Your eSIM will be installed and your current SIM card number will be automatically replaced with the eSIM number
  5. Remember, once the eSIM is installed, it cannot be transferred to another device
  6. You can remove your SIM card. It is no longer necessary to access Public Mobile services after the eSIM is activated

How to Purchase an eSIM or Physical SIM

For New Customers:

1. During the activation process, you can choose either an eSIM or a Physical Sim Card 
  2. SIM cards can also be purchased through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

For Existing Customers:

1. Visit the Subscription & Add-ons page in your account to purchase either an eSIM or SIM card.
  2. You can also buy a physical SIM through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

The Public Mobile Team

145 REPLIES 145

MichaelHunter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did all of that but the Confirm button behind the warning screen is not live.  It is not possible to pay!  

@MichaelHunter 

To buy new eSIM, first, download the app on your new phone.  Click Account from the bottom, then click Purchase SIM Card and select eSIM.  click Pay $  and Install and following the prompt to complete and purchase and install eSIM on your device

MichaelHunter

Thanks, but I can see the confirmation button by scrolling the warning screen, but only the cancel button is "live" and the pay confirmation is dead as a dodo.  Really confusing and hard to imagine that Telus can construct such a garbage customer service site!

MichaelHunter

Me too. They say an existing customer can get an eSim but the reality is that you can't.  And this is cutting-edge Telus.....

Bresson_8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Make sure you are using the App Version 2.0.2.

When you purchase your eSIM, you will be taken to the warning dialog box. There will be a little edge of the confirmation button, and you need to carefully tap on it. It worked on my iPhone SE 3th gen.

MichaelHunter

I have same issue - did you find to how to fix it and get the warning screen to disappear?

pshpang

Since August, its been 8 months and we are April 2024? Did this ever get on the next feature release branch?  This should not be a in the development backlog as customer needing this capability to move eSIM around to be nimble. Please consider the QR code or at least re-generate eSIM without going through a purchase which really doesn't equate to physical SIM card, totally a step backward.

TAWATI

Sorry, mine is the second edition. Thank you

Bresson_8

Yes. It is the third edition.

TAWATI

Are using iphone SE 2022

Bresson_8

Yes. The new version of the phone APP has fixed my issue. There is a little narrow edge of the button showing up so I can press on it. It is not perfect but it works.

TAWATI

Has your issue been solved

ll9111

If Fido and Koodo can provide replacement sSIM free of charges via their mobile app, why PM charge $5 for eSIM replacement?

LameService

Not to mention having to pay for another eSIM for any number of other reasons, such as if you get a warranty replacement phone. Is this charging for an eSIM a Canadian thing?

Also, I'm hesitant to believe physical SIMs are going away anytime soon. For a long time US carriers held out against dual-SIM phones until in 2022 Verizon finally let Samsung enable it on its fleet of phones on their network. Seems Canada is following suit and North America isn't the outlier that it was vis-a-vis that capability. These companies finally realized that giving customers choice can make them happy customers while in no way harming carriers' interests.

The same goes for phone manufacturers. OnePlus stopped selling dual-SIM phones in North America with the OP9 and had to bring the feature back in the OP12 was because they realized one of the few things that made their brand stand out was dual-SIM. Having dual-SIM is why I switched from Samsung to the OP8 in 2020... and when they dropped dual-SIM and my OP8 took a dive in 2022 I was in time to get a new dual-SIM Samsung on Verizon.

While there were additional reasons OP lost ground in North America, one was the elimination of dual-SIM. They wisely brought it back this year, and with a unique SIM feature. I understand you can configure the OP21 to use one nano-SIM + one eSIM OR nano + nano... I'm unsure if this feature will get my business back, but it's why they were leading innovators for many years.

Rklest

Hello.  I have an iPhone 14 with a physical SIM that I use for my primary carrier, and an eSIM that I use for traveling internationally.  If I install a Public Mobile eSIM, will that appear as a third SIM on my phone?  The reason for my question is that I am concerned that your statement "Your eSIM will be installed and your current SIM card number will be automatically replaced with the eSIM number" will result in the permanent de-activation of my physical SIM.  I would like the Public Mobile eSIM to appear as a third SIM on my phone, and I need the ability to switch between the SIMs whenever I desire.  Thanks.

Bresson_8

Can PublicMobile APP development team modify the APP UI otherwise I am not able to order esim for my iPhone SE?

Watch this video and feel how frustrated I am:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V9pnHmB9OchgJBoub3HtWkVwDhaNeajK/view?usp=sharing

Casperr0426

Only Freedom Mobile allows you to generate a new QR code for any reason (lost phone, upgraded phone) for free. I dont think they allow esim transfer but that is okay as you can generate a new one for free on self serve.

Boyer

Yeah, I do not want to change numbers I want to keep my number when I get my new phone.  Thank you for the response.  I will stick with the ol fashioned physical sim.

@Boyer  No SIM card can only be activated the once . You would need a new SIM card to create a new account. You can change to eSIM thou in your  existing account but I don’t recommend it as I prefer physical sim over eSIM . But you can change the number in your account profile page click the pencil next to your number to change 

Change # on profile tabs

Handy1_0-1704901161950.jpeg

Boyer

Hello all, looking for some guidance.

I am a current subscriber with a regular simcard.  I am looking at purchasing a new phone soon, and will be continuing my services on that phone.  I also want to set up a new number for my current phone for my son to use.

My question is, if I were to active esim on my new phone, and take out that sim card could I then use that physical sim card for activation for a new account/number on my old phone?  would this work?  Or would I just be better off buying a whole new simcard?

Any input appreciated.  Thank you.

RoyBatty

I have existing PM sub with eSIM.  I just got new phone and want to buy new eSIM on new phone. 

However, my PM mobile app Subscription & Add-Ons does not show the buy new eSim option. It just has two options for US call add-ons.

Do you have to have specific subscription for the buy new eSim option?

Can only certain customer buy new eSim?

Why have instructions for something that is not available to everyone?

What am I missing?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Sal2- edit the whole thing

What you need
An iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later
Ah...just from Apple

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Sal2 only iPhone XR and newer are compatible with e-SIM.

If you have two IMEI Numbers in the Settings > General > About Section than your iPhone Is e-SIM ready.

@Sal2 only iPhone XS and after have eSIM support

Sal2

Are all iPhones compatible with ESim??

Flyrrad

ESim is a very nice option for newer phones (I'm using Samsung S23 Ultra).  My understanding is you can have multiple eSims from various carriers for various purposes and switch between by just clicking in the settings vs having to open your phone for a physical sim card. For instance, with the proliferation of carriers offering "travel packages" for a ton less $$$ than our big 3 carriers and their subsidiaries, when out of your own country,  there's definitely a benefit to be seen IMHO

Flyrrad

Ported to PM from Telus using the eSim option via App, keeping my current phone number, and it couldn't be easier or make me happier! Before doing so, I chatted with online Customer Service who quickly answered all my questions! Now that PM is offering 5G (up to 250mbps) connections and unlimited data (beyond high speed allotment), I'm telling all my friends how easy it is to switch!!!

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

'Buy a Physical SIM Card or Activate e-SIM' https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/purchase-sim

@vtz 

Ermina

Under subscriptions and add-ons I believe there is an option to do so. Otherwise might have to cancel plan and get a new one using e-sim. 

Ermina

So great, my mom just purchased it and used my referral code!!

Need Help? Let's chat.