cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM now available for new & existing subscribers!

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are excited to announce that starting today, we’re introducing eSIM availability to both new and existing subscribers, along with the rollout of multiple enhancements in My Account. We’ve noticed many of your posts expressing interest about eSIM, and wanted to share how you can easily switch to eSIM. By switching to eSIM, you’ll gain the freedom to be more flexible with your services, whether it’s for travel or efficiently managing both personal and business accounts on a single device!

We made it easy to purchase SIMs at any time, you can purchase an eSIM or SIM Card directly from the app and My Account. 

Before you get started

• If you purchase an eSIM, you must do it with the device you want to install it on.
  • You can only install your new eSIM through the app. 

How to transition from a SIM card to an eSIM

1. Download and install the Public Mobile app on your device
  2. Open the app and select one of the the following locations: 
     - Subscription & add ons
     - Empty cart 
     - Lost/stolen banner
  3. Select ‘Purchase SIM’ and select the SIM type of your choice
  4. Select ‘Pay & Install’ and complete the payment. Your eSIM will be installed and your current SIM card number will be automatically replaced with the eSIM number
  5. Remember, once the eSIM is installed, it cannot be transferred to another device
  6. You can remove your SIM card. It is no longer necessary to access Public Mobile services after the eSIM is activated

How to Purchase an eSIM or Physical SIM

For New Customers:

1. During the activation process, you can choose either an eSIM or a Physical Sim Card 
  2. SIM cards can also be purchased through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

For Existing Customers:

1. Visit the Subscription & Add-ons page in your account to purchase either an eSIM or SIM card.
  2. You can also buy a physical SIM through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

The Public Mobile Team

146 REPLIES 146

Ermina
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So great, my mom just purchased it and used my referral code!!

HI @vtz 

not for existing customers, sorry

but if you need eSIM, download the app and buy eSIM from the app directly

Personally, I would rather hold on to my physical sim.  You can easily switch phone.  With eSIM, you will have to pay another $5 whenever you swtich phone or your phone got Reset

vtz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I just signed up for a new plan last week and purchased a SIM card as I had a older iPhone. I just purchased a newer iPhone that has eSim and I'd like to use it. The eSim was offered for free at the time I activated my account and is still offered for free for new sign ups. Is there any was I can switch to eSim without purchasing it? The plan has been active for less than a week.

Thanks

@Angrybird  

SIM. Card can take up to 3 weeks to arrive .if you need one sooner try calling local Telus Koodo stores for in person pick up or order from Amazon .otherwise reach out to support for a status up date for when it shipped and when you can expect it . Or if you can get a credit for buying a new SIM card .message support directly

while your already here and logged in the community you can send a  private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Angrybird

I purchased a regular SIM two weeks ago and still haven't received it!!!🤔

@golfball  Yep that’s why I prefer physical SIM card and don’t understand the hype for eSIM 

HI @golfball 

yes, not good for Canada.  I think most providers as you to buy new eSIM when you switch phone 😞  

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I actually have purchased a few eSIMs for travel and such but PM's implementation makes no sense for me. eSIM only devices probably shouldn't exist yet (especially in Canada) without some sort of feature for easily transferring eSIMs between devices. eSIMs don't have to be as restrictive as this implementation but right now every carrier has to make up their own rules.

@golfball wrote:

Huh? Why would I pay for my SIM a second time just to lock it to one phone? Doesn't make any sense to me.

HI @golfball 

you don't need to change to an eSIM if physical sim working.  Not everyone likes eSIM because of the trouble to move to another phone.  eSIM choice is there because phone manufactures will soon making eSIM only phones.  

@golfball  Exactly that’s just how eSIM works when you want to upgrade phone . It’s also why me likes physical SIM card best buy once and take out of phone and put into new phone

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Huh? Why would I pay for my SIM a second time just to lock it to one phone? Doesn't make any sense to me.

@KenerV1 wrote:

Thanks! Will my phone number stay the same though? 

@KenerV1 , yes your phone number will stay the same. Changing your SIM doesn’t change your phone number. 🙂

@KenerV1   Yes your number will stay the same . You get to keep it 

KenerV1

Thanks! Will my phone number stay the same though? 

@KenerV1 wrote:

Is it possible to put my current Public Mobile SIM card number onto an eSIM? Or will the new eSIM number automatically replace my old number?

@KenerV1 , the eSIM will automatically replace it. 🙂

KenerV1

Is it possible to put my current Public Mobile SIM card number onto an eSIM? Or will the new eSIM number automatically replace my old number?

hi @georgec 

You cannot reuse the sim card even you copy down the sim card number 

There is really no advantage to change from physical to esim unless you need to free up the physical sim slot for another sim card or you have a new esim only phone

@georgec sorry , sim cards are only one time use.  Once you switched to eSIM, the old sim will be voided and no longer be useful.  You will need to buy a new one of you ever want to switch back to physical sim

@georgec  That won’t work a SIM card can only be activated once . If you go eSIM and what to go back to physical SIM card you need a new SIM card and go to your account profile page and SIM card swap the number 

SIM  SWAPPING  profile tabs

Handy1_0-1692663689377.png

Note only do this on lap top or computer/ not mobile device

georgec

Sorry I got another advise saying that if I make a note of the old sim card serial before I switch to Esim. And if I need to go back to regular sim, I can re-enter the old sim serial number to revive?

Jodes

I am a new customer and tried the e sim route and it worked great. 

HI @georgec 

you can go back, but you will have to buy a new physical sim card and it will cost you around $5 to $10 

Honest, if you are unsure that you need eSIM, keeping it on a physical sim card is better. If you ever need to change phone, just pop the sim card to the new phone.  With eSIM, you will need to buy another eSIM when you change phones

georgec

Thanks. If I moved from old sim to esim and things not work out, can I go back to the old sim card or do I need to buy a new SIM card?

@georgec  No but it won’t hurt if you do 

@georgec wrote:

Hi

Do I need to have the existing SIM card in my phone while downloading the esim card? Thanks

HI @georgec 

no you don't

you can do it with Wifi

georgec

Hi

Do I need to have the existing SIM card in my phone while downloading the esim card? Thanks

jayflyer

or at least just being able to receive sms while abroad.

HI @jayflyer 

PM is tier 3 provider and I don't think they will add roaming destination 😞

jayflyer

This is sick. hopefully the next update will be international roaming.

Need Help? Let's chat.