Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM Compatibility with Public Mobile

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hi Community, 

We're excited about the interest in eSIM and thought it would be helpful to share some easy tips before you begin your new eSIM journey! 

Looking to activate?
Simply download the Public Mobile App to get started. When you purchase your subscription in the app, we actually check your eSIM compatibility for you, ensuring that you get the right SIM for your device.

Checkout our latest eSIM blog post  for more information on the benefits of using eSIM. 

Not sure if your phone is eSIM compatible? 
You can easily use the IMEI checker to confirm if your device is eSIM compatible ahead of time. If you purchase your subscription through our website, the checker will be available within the activation steps. 

J_PM_0-1695061679361.png

If you're unsure how to find your phone’s IMEI visit this help article for instructions. 

Can you find out if your phone us eSIM compatible online?

Absolutely. Most manufacturers have compatible devices noted on their support websites. Third-party sites also offer insight into which devices accept eSIM in Canada. Be sure to check your device’s specific make and model. For example, Canadian models of the Samsung S20 do not support eSIM, while other international models do.

Note: Here’s a list of common device manufacturers, with steps to access your settings to confirm eSIM compatibility. Steps may vary depending on your phone model.   

Spoiler

Samsung Devices:

1.     Open the “Settings” app.
  2.     Tap “Connections.”
  3.     Select “SIM card manager.”
  4.     Look for the “Add Mobile plan” option. If it’s available, it indicates that your device supports eSIMs.

IOS Devices

2.     Tap “Cellular.”
  3.     Select “Add a New Plan.”
  4.     If an option to scan a QR code appears, then your device supports eSIM.

Pixel Devices:

2.     Tap “Network & Internet.”
  3.     Select the “+” sign next to SIMs.
  4.     Check if the “Connect to Mobile network” page includes a “Download a SIM instead?” option. If it does, then your device is eSIM capable.

We’ve heard your questions about eSIM compatibility, and want you to know that we’re using your feedback to make it easier to access these tools before you activate. 

- Public Mobile Team

112 REPLIES 112

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

An eSIM is exactly the same little circuit that you see on a physical SIM card. Except it's not removable, it's soldered in place - "embedded" means it's built into the phone - without any need for the "bulky" mechanism (and gold-plated connectors) which are needed for a physical SIM card slot.

It cannot be transferred to another device.

(Indeed, I've seen some videos where "hackers" attempt to move a dedicated eSIM chip from device they can't unlock to a device they already have unlocked - and the attempts always fail because these cheap, cheap, cheap low-capacity low-density NVRAM parts simply cannot retain their data when subjected to soldering temperatures. It's expected in the not-far-away future that eSIMs will simply be integrated within the main SoC, effectively making this ineffective form of attack impossible.)

Flameotter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Once an esim is installed can it be transferred to another device? Is there a limit? I am new with esims.

thank you

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Momomomomo wrote:

Feels like esim reception is not as good as physical sim

Reception in terms of signal "bars", strength, power, efficiency, performance, reliability, coverage ... are exactly the same regardless which SIM form factor you use. Think of the SIM being equivalent to the ignition key for your car, you need the right key to make the thing work, but different versions of the same key are not going to make it drive any faster.

Reception in terms of consumer response ... seems generally positive. eSIMs were introduced and marketed as a commodity, the providers wanted their subscribers to perceive the new digital form factor as a prestige item, somehow vaguely "better" than the old physical form factor it supplanted. The latest-and-greatest $$$$ flagship iPhones and Galaxies all support fashionable new eSIMs alongside yucky old boring dinosaur SIM cards. So the people wanted eSIMs at Public Mobile, asked for it, begged for it, demanded it, were unhappy when it wasn't available - and were satisfied, pleased, happy, ecstatic when it arrived.

Momomomomo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Feels like esim reception is not as good as physical sim

Rob_
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We requested a second attempt at port. It is working now.

montem

E-Sim is very easy to activate and subscribe a mobile plan, but can it be easy to transfer from one phone to another phone or does a subscribe need to purchase a new E-Sim every time they wants to switch to another phone?

BlaineGibson

In terms of issues with E-Sim one solution is just to purchase a new e-sim from Public Mobile. During my activation (3 Devices) all but one failed e-sim activation. Purchasing a 2nd e-sim (and requesting a credit) actually resolved both issues. 

JaiBee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Samsung Canada disabled SIM Manager by default on some devices. Your device may be eligible but without this feature being active, you cannot use eSims.

ElegantTomato

Yes, or you can pick up a SIM from various locations:
https://publicmobile.ca/en/qc/pick-up-SIM

KokoMagnificul

My Samsung 21Ultra5G works perfect with eSIM. 

Jerome1958

Can't you ask them to send you a physical SIM instead?

Rob_

Currently we are experiencing a similar issue with e-sim.

I've been a customer for many years along with another family member using physical sim. We didn't have any issues setting those phones up and system service has been outstanding.

Something has changed. The latest family member has gone without service for four consecutive days to this point. She needs the phone for work and being stuck without a resolution is causing some distress

JaiBee

Device cleared the compatibility check for esim. Phone then throws esim compatibility error on activation. I messaged Customer Service over 3 days ago with 0 correspondence. Unable to alter or cancel my transaction for a basic sim purchase.   Forced to contact my bank to dispute the charges as well. Absolutely horrible experience from Public Mobile as a provider.

Katzengatos

That's really great news. I just wish my phone were compatible with e-sim cards!

mgb123

My device was compatible with an eSIM. The IMEI number verified compatibility. However, the eSIM will not work no matter what I do due to a 6 digit code that is unattainable. Customer service is no longer responding to my ticket after providing useless suggestions. Public mobile has committed fraud by charging my credit card and not providing service. Now I am left trying to dispute the charges with the credit card company. I do not recommend public mobile to anyone. 

Kate_1234

I am having the exact same experience. Good luck!

Anne1102

Just adding another comment here because unfortunately we cannot edit our original comments. There is no option on their shop page to purchase just a sim card either. So now I am forced to dispute this charge with my credit card company. This is hands down the absolute worst experience I've ever had. Literally a 0/10 experience.

Anne1102

I checked device compatibility prior to subscribing and got ALL GREEN check marks for eSim compatibility. Paid the subscription fee and downloaded the app to continue activation. Logged in about 3 times and then was prompted that the device I am registering is in fact NOT eSim compatible. Attempted to contact support, was prompted again to log in, and then unable to connect to their support chat. Tried on firefox and on chrome. The support chat page just does not load, ever. So my options are now to either dispute the charge with my credit card company and hopefully cancel my subscription, or purchase and wait for a physical sim card. Very unfortunate and a very poor experience with their online services page.

KL10408

Thank you, no sim in iPhone 15. Only eSIM option. 
I am happy to report I just heard from service, they are looking into it. My fingers are crossed it will be resolved shortly.

Joshua57

I have the iPhone 12promax. Suggest getting the physical sim

KL10408

Curious to know, what phone do you have? I am having issues with iphone15. I freaking out with no phone communication this morning. No reply yet from support team.

arbbie

First time with eSIM when switching over from another carrier to PM. So easy/quick to activate; not sure why I was hesitant at all. The PM app also made it easy to check compatibility and add/activate the eSIM 

theseventenspli

love the esim was nice to not have to pay for a new sim card!

for those having issues I agree,something needs to be done about the ticket system, once i got through went well and fixed my setup problem but was not easy and i freaked out for a bit. cs_agent pm didn’t work either but esim is so nice once set up

Joshua57

So far though, I’ve had no service problems and everything seems good with public, so I’m happy about that. Just wasn’t happy going into a physical store was added with urgency to things I had to do. 

Joshua57

Hey Lorraine, 

I went into a Telus store to fix my problem as I couldn’t be without communication for the day. Really not great that they don’t tell you the eSim transfer can go wrong, as it leaves you stranded.

lit was fixed within 10-15 once I inserted a physical sim. I couldn’t get through to the chat ticket support or whatever, and it’s ridiculous to think that I can sit with the uncertainty of not knowing when my ticket will be addressed when I don’t have my phone available for work or family matters.

HI @Lorraine_hi 

don't cancel it yet, this is something that can be resolved, just need to work with CS agent

But whether you want to cancel or work with agent to get the eSIM working, please submit ticket with CS agent by messaging here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Lorraine_hi

I can’t activate my account as well! iPhone 12 should be compatible with eSim. How can I cancel the account, as I am sure that they have charged me the first bill already. 

hi @Joshua57 for SOS problem, it means the esim not setup properly on the system 

Please submit ticket with CS agent by messaging here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

georgec

Not easily!

Joshua57

eSim doesn’t work. My phone is on SOS mode, unable to be used at the moment. I have a iPhone 12 Pro Max, can def use eSim. 

Need Help? Let's chat.