Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,450 REPLIES 5,450

Climatecrisis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you lower the plan to get value out of the bonus data They knew this would happen and blocked it 

Climatecrisis

Data that expires is guess as useless bringing sand to the beach 

Climatecrisis

Lets do some rough math Lets say 500,000 subscribers use autopay 2$ savings per month We are going to lose instantly 500,000 x 2$ per month Instant millions for them Now they need you to stay 12 month to receive 10$ discount 10/12 is 0.83 cents a month They believe we are fools, Staying a few pennies below fido rogers and others 

jhhead

I do agree that the biggest slap in the face was how they removed the 'benefit' of getting 1 point per month being with them and then forcing the change.

If I had known this was the route they would take then of course I would have proactively made the switch. But without notification of the changes we are stuck with nothing. 

It's like let's make this change the worst possible outcome for our long time customers because we can.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I appreciate you bolded “at least” and will add, as many have pointed out, removing the 150-day time restriction would actually make the bonus meaningful. Of course, replacing the bonus data altogether with the 1 point for each month a customer has been with PM (which was pulled the day before the announcement) would have been the most appropriate means to recognize loyalty from their customers in a proportionate manner. But then again, PM seems to have some difficulty understanding the whole concept of loyalty.

Mtn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I do not wish to have my rewards program changed.  My previous rewards were applied automatically, but the new changes will result in a more costly phone bill.  I do not need a gift of more data that will expire, I want a low cost phone plan.  With these new changes, I cannot recommend Public Mobile to anyone. 

@Haiggy1 

They are assigning data promotions in buckets according to plan values, so as long as you’re within the plan value that is eligible for one bucket of data, you’ll still get it.

However, if you move to a lower plan bucket, you’ll forfeit the entire bonus.

It’s really dumb – they must reconsider this and at least give folks the bonus associated with that lower data bucket if folks downgrade their plan.

But, alas, Public Mobile really wants to screw it to its members. 

Haiggy1

If that's true, then I was not informed. I already was in touch with a moderator to complain, and they said that you need $29+. Their response is as follows:

I would like to help you but those are the terms of the new system, actually there is a disclaimer shown when you try to change your plan:  "The bonus data will remain active, unless your account becomes inactive, or you switch to a plan of lower value, or to an incompatible plan."

hi @Haiggy1 

actually, different plan will get different bonus data, not everyone getting 240GB.  Those with $15 or $25 plan will get much less the data.

if you lowered your plan, there is a slight chance agent will give you another set of bonus data that they give to other subscribers on the same plan.  try and ask them

Haiggy1

I've learned (the hard way?) that this 'special' one-time 'thank-you' applies to plans of $29+/mo. ONLY. Switching your plan to a lesser one that will actually allow you to make use of this 240GB in 150 days, actually winds up removing it entirely... somehow it's supposed to make sense that someone who currently uses 10GB/mo. will be grateful to be able to use 58GB/mo. (10GB plan+240GB/5 months) and at the same time, won't let you drop your plan for those 5 months (150 days) or you lose it all.

JaceM

I do not want to be moved to Public Points. My previous rewards were applied to my payment automatically without me needing to complete any actions. With the new system, I will need to manage my account every month to "apply points" to my bill. The way the new system is being explained suggests that it also slashes the savings, instead of saving 5$ per month for loyalty, I will only get 10$ per year? Public Mobile stated in 2022 that the move to the points system was optional and that previous customers could remain on the old rewards program. The old rewards program was what made Public Mobile an ideal service, particularly since rewards were applied automatically to my bill each month. The amount of extra time and energy that will now need to be used just to manage my account that didn't previously need to be managed is diminishing the value of the service. The extra data as a "loyalty gift" is useless to me as I am already on a unlimited data plan. Will Public Mobile change the points application so that points can be applied automatically? Needing to do it manually is drastically going to reduce accessibility which they are touting as a major priority. If accessibility is so important to Public Mobile that they have a tab dedicated to it, why are they diminishing it with these types of changes.

RetiredGuy1

@dudesbot 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/move-to-public-points

That page was updated yesterday:

[Update April 15, 2024: All subscribers on the old rewards program will be moved to Public Points. Notice will be given in advance of the move to Public Points by text message or email, or otherwise in accordance with our Service Terms.

We’re sending notices in batches. Some customers were notified in March, by text message or email. Others will be notified via text message by April 18, 2024.]

Y4J259
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I received PM text notifying me of the change to pints today. My May renewal date is May 26. So I guess they're messaging as we approach last cycle before May plan renewals. 

Y4J259

Timeline with CCTS: 

I filed complaint April 4. PM rejected complaint April 7. CCTS rejected the rejection April 16. Here's why:

We examined the customer's complaint and Public Mobile's objection to the complaint.

Section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code states that The Commissioner may not direct or require a Participating Service Provider to change any of their policies or practices. Additionally, pricing of products or services fall outside the Commissioner’s scope. As your complaint pertains to an increase to your billed charges and a change to your contract, the CCTS confirms that your complaint falls within the scope of the CCTS. 

The CCTS cannot accept objections that are based on the merits of the complaint, and such objections will be rejected. A “merit-based objection” is an objection in which the PSP asserts that the complaint should not be accepted by the CCTS because the PSP is allowed to do the action that the customer complained about.

Additionally, The CCTS does not consider the following matters as “pricing of products and service”: billing disputes, contract disputes or changes, price changes, additional charges, and removal of promotional discounts.  For this reason, we are rejecting the objection as your complaint meets the requirement set out by the procedural code.

@dudesbot wrote:

Hi everyone,

I haven't been following this thread the best. I've seen someone say that they've gotten recent notifications via text about this transition in 30 days. I haven't received one. Does anyone know if it depends on user? Also, maybe an Oracle could chime in, does this transition have a set date in May?

Once again, the corporate communication via PM is terrible.

@dudesbot, some people received emails and some recently got texts.  We haven't been given and actual date or anything like that.  I do think it could be different for everyone based on either renewal or date of notification.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NoseyNick1

> I haven't received one

Usual disclaimers apply, not an oracle, sample size of 1, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", etc etc...

... but in my case, they coincidentally(?) happen to have texted me approx 1 day before my April renewal, and my GUESS is they are going to make the switch immediately before/during/after my May renewal?  [Shrug]  It might make the maths easier if they don't have to pro-rata Rewards vs Points?  😐

dudesbot

Hi everyone,

I haven't been following this thread the best. I've seen someone say that they've gotten recent notifications via text about this transition in 30 days. I haven't received one. Does anyone know if it depends on user? Also, maybe an Oracle could chime in, does this transition have a set date in May?

Once again, the corporate communication via PM is terrible.

Matty1234

Well that's an obvious one, if Public can change the terms and existence of the old legacy program, they can certainly change and cancel the new points program. Customers can actually win against corporations if there is solidarity. 

NoseyNick1

Not sure why new customers are relevant on a thread about "Legacy" Rewards?   😕

RetiredGuy1

@Krayzah1 

Well put and I suspect you may just be over the target with this. As many other posters have expressed, the forced changes disproportionately affect those on the lowest cost plans.

Krayzah1

I'm just one of many who would like to register my objection to the change in rewards system.  Considering this contradicts the public statements that Public has made previously about no forced migrations, this move is being done in bad faith.  Ironically Public is showing disloyalty to its core base of subscribers and supporters.

If the big brains think they can churn their lower revenue users out to boost their shareholder metrics like ARPU and then win them back, they better think again.  I want to tell you this is a market segment you will never recapture.  In fact, the move is so illogical to me that I believe it warrants investigation as an anti-competitive act which may be in coordination with other parties to force customers onto more expensive plans, even those held by competitors.

fixin1

@Frank_M - Some new customers cannot receive or send SMS or MMS as there is an activation issue with activating those services - along with activating iMessage and FaceTime.

Frank_M

I can text pictures, what's happening with your texts?

RNk6xib2

Question for anyone who knows. In March I got:

On March 15, 2024 Public Mobile objected to RNk6xib2 complaint because Public Mobile believes that we did not have the authority to accept the complaint under our Procedural Code. After reviewing the complaint and objection, we are rejecting the objection. The complaint remains open for the reasons explained below.

Over a week ago I got

Complaint (zzzzzzz) is being moved to the next stage of our process. A Complaints Resolution Officer will be in contact with both parties to explain the next steps in our process.  

I understand that I need to wait but yesterday I got a proper notification via SMS from PM letting me know I'm going to be moved.

Public Mobile here. In accordance with our Service Terms, we are reaching out to inform you that we are making changes to our rewards program and these changes impact you. No sooner than 30 days from this notice, we will be moving you to our new Public Points program as we are retiring our old Rewards program. To learn more about this change, how it impacts you and how the new Public Points program works, please visit https://msg.publicmobile.ca/bhzv

So I opened a new ticket to suggest that I dont agree to the change.

Finally, my question. I'm not staying with PM once the change happens, or at least I REALLY don't want to without the old rewards. Is this going to  impact anything with the ccts/cprst guys and do I need to stay with PM for my complain to remain valid?

Edit: I wanted to add I opened a chat with the CCTS and they more or less didn't answer any of my questions directly and It SEEMS from reading between the lines that I'll need to remain a customer for my complaint to be valid. Anyone have options or know for a fact?

Moved:

Creating a post for the specific reason of asking for bravos is considered gaming and is not allowed.

RetiredGuy1

@fixin1 

Yes, I saw that in the Mobile Klinik thread and I gave a bravo to @will13am who succinctly described that as “The total addressable market for this offer is off the chart low.  Nothing to see here.”

p.s. If anyone feels motivated enough to bravo that reaction, please head over to that thread and give it to @will13am as it is his original input, I’m just echoing it here. Thanks.

no_thanks

So the main distinguisher of PM's product benefit compared to other providers– discounts for continued loyalty– is being removed and it's being framed as being beneficial to me? No thanks, time to look for a new provider.

fixin1

@RetiredGuy1 - Right now us points users get $130 rebate on 4 CPO phones with mobile klinik (Though you should be cautious) and a $30 repair rebate on all except Apple official parts.

RetiredGuy1

Within the Points Program Terms and Conditions is the following statement:

”From time to time, Public Mobile may add possible ways to earn Points, offer additional Points, Points-earning accelerators, bonuses or promotional offers (collectively “Offer”).”

I realize the use of the word “may” rather than “will” is significant from a legal perspective. However, notwithstanding that, it is reasonable to believe that PM has researched/brainstormed/discussed or even drafted proposals to this end. Given the fiasco they’ve created and the fact we’re now just 2 weeks from May, I believe there is a golden opportunity for PM to at least try to regain trust and demonstrate that what they say can be taken in good faith - provide an update that articulates how they will make enhancements to the Points Program. If they’re truly serious about it, whats the harm? 

JollyOwl

I'm not only pleased, I'm honored to be provided that! 

Need Help? Let's chat.