Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,501 REPLIES 5,501

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

We all did a lot of wheel spinning that got us nowhere ---And why should  J_PM respond since they stand firm as outlined in the announcement, am I wrong? 
Over the past J_PM has never responded even to my private messages so it’s quite possible that she no longer even works for PM.

"The Commissioner may not direct or require a Participating Service Provider to change any of their policies or practices.  As your complaint pertains to PSP making changes to their reward program, we are unable to proceed with your complaint and are proceeding to accept your provider’s objection."

dudesbot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wow!

Hundreds of thousands of views and 4,300+ replies, and not a word from PM outside the CCTS responses. Hopefully they're prepared for the results starting May 1. I've started to get my referrals and I prepped.

Unbelievably bad corporate communication!!

hi @dabr I actually did an extensive study to Freedom neteork for a client and confirmed that it is not as reliable as any of the Big3

In terms of PM coverage, other than the lack of full VoLTE and Wifi Calling , the network coverage is pretty much same as Telus.  So, the difference here is more the features and services 

Frank123123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Because you may have spent your time to get friends/family to switch and use your referral code to bring down your monthly bill.    And that is what Public Mobile promised and now they are going back on their word.  Those that came first helped to build their customer base.  The least they could do is grandfather them into the old program or offer the same amount in the new points system with a auto-apply option to the $15 add-on.

Geo11

I think you will still be able to log in and post to the PM Community even if you are not a subscriber. Let us know how it goes.

Michael6666

Exciting day!

After so much research and buying a fizz Sim card, I found that the combination of Rogers or Fido and the Rogers credit card is an absolute deal for me. I'm not saying which I choose, but if you're a credit card points person, it's a game-changer option I wanted to leave the community with. 

I've placed my order and this will be my final post here, not waiting for the CCTS outcome. My port should happen today or tomorrow.

With a heavy heart and lots of love, good luck to all. 

@hTideGnow wrote:

@eyes 

i didn't meant Telus/PM is unreliable

I meant the network people wants to go, the one that give them freedom 🙂

@hTideGnow    Are you speaking from personal experience regarding FM having an unreliable network or just going by complaints/reviews on the internet?   If the latter, then you can pretty much find numerous complaints for every single provider around, including the so called first tier service carriers.  After all, we've read more than enough complaints on this forum from customers who found PM's network seriously lacking despite it being on the Telus/Bell grid of networks.

It would certainly be true that FM (for now) doesn't have quite as expansive coverage that Telus (or the big 3) does, however, most customers living in or near the larger centers (majority of Canadians) should have very few problems.  

Also speaking as a former customer (for couple of years) over 6 years ago (actually my number is originally from WIND) when they were still WIND, I rarely experienced any problems with their service.  Of course, at that time their network was much smaller and there was a charge for roaming on partner networks (5 cents/min IIRC) outside their coverage which is no longer the case as calling is nationwide.  There were also some dead spots in apartment buildings/underground subway that others complained about which, according to what I've read, are no longer an issue.

Of course, their service, just like PM's model, will not be suitable for all, but for most, IMO, it should work as well as any other.   Plus they've also always offered roaming options globally, not cheap but definitely reasonably priced if needing roaming for urgent/limited usage of (2FA?) calls/texts. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, weird. Not sure why I only wrote talk, thanks for the correction.

@Wolfcore wrote:

Freedom = $29/20GB + US Talk

This is actually a full on roaming plan, similar to what the now discontinued PM S34 Can/US plan offered. Just cheaper and less data. So arguably it could be better value than the others in the category (for people who don't use a huge amount of data, spend a considerable amount south of the boarder, and live in Freedom native coverage, see below)

For a fair amount of people network coverage and local number portability will be influencing their decision as well...

Examples: While Freedom and Fizz can use Canada wide infrastructure by roaming on the big three, their native network and with that the option to port your PM number are limited to a much smaller foot print.

I have not gone into depth NoName Mobile and it's features and limitations just yet, but from a quick read it seems that it's physical SIM only, which are only available at NoFrills store. 

dariovitale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So this is the email I received today from CCTS where I replied to them "So CCTS is totally useless, thanks." 

""

On March 20, 2024, Public Mobile objected to Sarah xxxxxxxs complaint further to section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code on the basis that, in Public Mobile’s view, the customer’s complaint is related to their operating practices.

Pursuant to Section 6.8 of our Procedural Code, we have considered Public Mobile’s objection. After a full review of the complaint, we are accepting the objection for reasons explained below. 

The Objection

The customer filed their complaint as Public Mobile has provided notice of an upcoming change to the existing rewards program. As per Public Mobile Service Terms, the services offered may be changed at any time with 30 days’ notice provided.

Our Assessment

The Commissioner may not direct or require a Participating Service Provider to change any of their policies or practices.  As your complaint pertains to PSP making changes to their reward program, we are unable to proceed with your complaint and are proceeding to accept your provider’s objection.

Conclusion

In light of our assessment of the complaint and Public Mobile’s objection, we have concluded that the complaint does not meet the requirements of the Procedural Code; falls outside of the scope of our mandate.

Therefore, we have proceeded to close the complaint further to section 4.3 of our Procedural Code. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the anything contained in this correspondence, please do not hesitate to contact us.""

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just adding NN to my previous list of providers that have a better $29 plan than PM:

Freedom = $29/20GB + US Talk/Data/Text
Lucky = $29/25GB 
Fizz = $29/40GB
PC Mobile = $29/25GB
Chatr = $29/30GB
No Name Mobile = $29/30GB

Then we have PM, basically all the way at the bottom of the budget brands:

Public Mobile = $29/10GB

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

Not sure who first mentioned the no frills mobility . But thanks for that . Just been checking it out and it seems like a great contender especially for the $29 plans and down 

eyes

No worries- no need to visit the store it’s all on line and , I would imagine you could setup with eSIM if your phone is capable. But hold on until this issue comes to a close. You never know PM may be forced to reverse their decision. 

@eyes 

i didn't meant Telus/PM is unreliable

I meant the network people wants to go, the one that give them freedom 🙂

eyes

I would disagree with you that TELUS/PM has unreliable network. 

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kb_mv - Yes, it is managed by PC Mobile but I don't go to any No Frills stores - most are 30km away out of my city.

RetiredGuy1

@eyes With respect - this is an interesting turn of events. Today, you’re embracing the “advertising competitors to PM on PM forums”. Yesterday (in large red font no less) you stated “it didn’t seem right”.  What a difference 24 hours can make.

@eyes wrote:

But in fairness the following PM. plan at 5G is hard to beat——>

HI @eyes I would have to agree with that.  But some members here are so mad at the legacy rewards decision and they just want to leave even they might be paying more, getting less service and they even consider unreliable network.  

eyes

But in fairness the following PM. plan at 5G is hard to beat——>

HI @kb_mv 

yes, basically PC Mobile in disguise  🤣

@eyes @fixin1 This is just PC Mobile by another name which unfortunately means no US (or anywhere else) roaming.

eyes

It gets even better if one uses their black PC credit card - not entirely sure but I think another 7% discount in points. 
BUT. I’m not going to be hasty and as the saying goes “cut my nose to spite my face”  — and sticking with PM until the dust settles. 
Even if to the point switch happens, PM PLANS still have good features above the bargain basement competitive plans. 

fixin1

@eyes - No Name mobile was just introduced yesterday:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/04/10/no-frills-data-plans-no-name-mobile/

fixin1

@EQMO88 - Bell & TELUS share towers - so

Bell = Bell, Virgin, Lucky, PC Mobile, No Name Mobile

TELUS = TELUS, Koodo, Public, DCI Wireless.

Rogers can roam on TELUS / Bell towers but only when there is no Rogers Service.

EQMO88

Thanks for the point. I felt the pricing was good, even though I don't need much data. Fwiw, I have found that Telus network (PM's network) has been the most complete in Canada

fixin1

@G_Pomzz - I was about to port one of my numbers to Freedom in February until I saw this great deal, while I was in Banff. I was super excited to finally match Freedom until I saw it was new activations - but then it was lifted later on.

My cell service is 4 bars and crystal clear voice and max data speeds.

EQMO88

I see. Will you be leaving to a new provider? Any suggestions?

G_Pomzz

@zaku     Good Point

Aside from Freedom, (with less coverage than PM) I haven't found any other providers that can match the $34.00, 50GB, Canada wide + free USA roaming plan I currently have. 

For those who do not need that much data, live in a major metropolitan area, never travel to the USA, and just want a bare bones plan, yes there may be better offerings than PM currently has. For myself, although I'm not happy with the reduction in the rewards, it's not a deal breaker for me. 

JimThorne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been a loyal customer for almost a decade. I was assured when I started that my benefits were guaranteed as long as I remained a customer. I understand changing the plans, not adding any more benefits, and not extending the old benefits to new customers. But the promise I had was that I would not lose those benefits. If that promise is broken, I will be gone. There are other deals out there now. Let me add that giving me temporary data, while I'm not even using the data I pay for, is not helpful. It is insulting.

zaku

No name offers $34 for 60GB but no MMS or US roaming. 

Fizz offers $33 for 40GB. 

So for us PM people on $34 50GB plan. Neither are a good replacement?  I guess that's why PM isn't worried. 

Need Help? Let's chat.