Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,434 REPLIES 5,434

jimbobs2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@G_Pomzz wrote:

@Yatti4201 said;   We pay the higest telco costs in the world for a reason. 

More fake news... There are at least 21 countries with higher average cost than Canada.

Splitting hairs? Canada is by far the most expensive country for mobile services among comparable countries.

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@Grinch   here's an independent review I found regarding them. It's comparing 5G but should give you an idea about the company.. https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/10/26/testing-freedom-mobile-5g-network-canada/

Thank you. Looks like the review I was looking at excluded 4G and 3G. I was thinking of using as a land line only. So it would not be accessing different networks. . 

G_Pomzz

@Yatti4201 said;   We pay the higest telco costs in the world for a reason. 

More fake news... There are at least 21 countries with higher average cost than Canada.

Screenshot_2024-04-09-13-20-55-178_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

EdN

$29 plan was 20gb, now 10gb.

SeniorCitizen

Ah,,,,ok makes sense. 
So I guess “some” will have to wait up to 1-3 months for the switch over.  

Yatti4201
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

True the changeover will probably turn off all those discounts. So May.. I'll just leave at the end of the month and cancel PM. 

maurelle

@Yatti4201 wrote:

Is this going to be honoured? Or should I expect a surprise bill? I think they said the switchover is May? Screenshot 2024-04-09 122329.png

I think they are vague on purpose about that May timeline. There is a chance that they are moving accounts in batches.

All bets are off. I personally would count on paying full plan cost (specially if you pay by voucher...) but take the last $$ rewards if they are still applied to available funds on May 3.

maurelle

@SeniorCitizen wrote:

IMG_0312.jpeg
Help me!

Isn’t the max for loyalty $5?
And the max for subscription $2?

looks like that person is switching from a 90day plan?

@SeniorCitizen 

If you are on a 90 day plan, you will see them x3.

SeniorCitizen

IMG_0312.jpeg
Help me!

Isn’t the max for loyalty $5?
And the max for subscription $2?

maurelle

@SeniorCitizen wrote:

I too, over the next period of time, will be looking for alternative plans for my 3 accounts. Calling out PM in some cases is pointless but I remain totally appalled at their unsavoury upcoming change and I have lost any reason to remain loyal. Disrespect me and I will reciprocate and that expands to include Telus services as well. 

But what I don’t understand why any one would go to Freedom Mobile. 
Here is what Whistleout says about coverage. 
The Freedom Mobile coverage map reaches 33% of Canadians, with 31% receiving 5G service. That’s much smaller than their competitors in the Big Three: Bell and Telus’ respective networks reach 99% of the population, while Rogers’ is available to 97%. If you live in a rural area of the country, there’s a good chance Freedom Mobile service isn’t available: the Freedom network is concentrated in urban areas, especially along the southern border.

And I have seen similar postings as well about their coverage. And have seen other prepaid plans showing a $50 upfront charge. I don’t see why anyone that applies online should pay $50….maybe at a storefront, but not online self serve. 

Valid points if you are living in an area that isn't in Freedom's native coverage (rural Canada, Atlantic provinces...)

But the people that I've been moving to Freedom spend 95% of their cell phone usage in native coverage. For most of them Freedom is more reliable than Public Mobile, since the Telus network quality has dropped considerably over the past four years or so in some areas (compared with same phone in exactly the same spot at nearly the same time). When they are traveling, their phones are flawlessly switching to Nationwide = roaming on Rogers or Bell.

Yatti4201

Is this going to be honoured? Or should I expect a surprise bill? I think they said the switchover is May? Screenshot 2024-04-09 122329.png

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@NoseyNick1 wrote:

> New plans out. A $29/10GB and $26/4GB.

With PM, or other?

Anything for the bargain-basement "very few calls, very few texts, very little data, sub-$10/mo" target market?

@NoseyNick1  - I’m in the same boat but its become obvious we’re not PMs target for customers. The 4G 4GB plan not only increased from $24 to $26 but its STILL the only plan for new activations only (the ONLY plan with that restriction)!

maurelle

@kb_mv wrote:

New plans out. A $29/10GB and $26/4GB.

Edit: I don't recall if the $29 plan was/is the same as before.

This is what I see on all the remaining accounts I help manage (in BC):

Screenshot 2024-04-09 09.16.39.png

Gimli007

2 things.

1.  CCTS complaint objection by PM was rejected by CCTS today... the process is working....

2.  Perhaps PM should consider rephrasing the "why chose PM" page on their website given this announcement.

Gimli007_0-1712679242579.png

NoseyNick1

> New plans out. A $29/10GB and $26/4GB.

With PM, or other?

Anything for the bargain-basement "very few calls, very few texts, very little data, sub-$10/mo" target market?

Yatti4201

Not giving your money to the big 3 is a good thing. We pay the higest telco costs in the world for a reason. If you just need 4G and base data then I can likely make do with the pre-paid Freedom Mobile yearly plans. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, PM is going to have trouble competing with the loss of the legacy rewards. Just no reason to stay anymore when you can get better features for an identical cost, if not cheaper. Also, just to note, that $29/28GB plan drops down to $29/25GB after 6 months. Even still, after 6 months, it's still better than PM's 🤣

SeniorCitizen

I too, over the next period of time, will be looking for alternative plans for my 3 accounts. Calling out PM in some cases is pointless but I remain totally appalled at their unsavoury upcoming change and I have lost any reason to remain loyal. Disrespect me and I will reciprocate and that expands to include Telus services as well. 

But what I don’t understand why any one would go to Freedom Mobile. 
Here is what Whistleout says about coverage. 
The Freedom Mobile coverage map reaches 33% of Canadians, with 31% receiving 5G service. That’s much smaller than their competitors in the Big Three: Bell and Telus’ respective networks reach 99% of the population, while Rogers’ is available to 97%. If you live in a rural area of the country, there’s a good chance Freedom Mobile service isn’t available: the Freedom network is concentrated in urban areas, especially along the southern border.

And I have seen similar postings as well about their coverage. And have seen other prepaid plans showing a $50 upfront charge. I don’t see why anyone that applies online should pay $50….maybe at a storefront, but not online self serve. 

@Sandalwood1 wrote:

lol The 4gb plan WAS $24 ,now $26. $29 Plan Was with 20gb. PC Mobile has a sale right now for $29 28gb. What a joke PM has become. Goes from bad ( rewards mess) to worse with uncompetitive price increases and data drop. Sad what PM has become. It really is time to abandon ship.

@Sandalwood1 Where PM can't be beat is the higher end US-Can plans. I have $34/50GB. There is not another provider in the Maritimes that can meet or beat that.

Edit: What does the PC plan go up to after 6 months?

Found this, price the same lose 8Gb of data so $29/20GB (which I believe is what PM used to offer?)

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.41.19 PM.png

Sandalwood1

lol The 4gb plan WAS $24 ,now $26. $29 Plan Was with 20gb. PC Mobile has a sale right now for $29 28gb. What a joke PM has become. Goes from bad ( rewards mess) to worse with uncompetitive price increases and data drop. Sad what PM has become. It really is time to abandon ship.

Yatti4201

Is there a problem moving to Freedom if you don't have voice over LTE? The phone supports VOLTE just not the voice aspect for raoming? I don't plan on roaming in the states. I think I am good to go. 

HI @kb_mv 

i just found out and made a post too

I thought $29 was new too

Tav2

I'd take that as a plan if I wasn't already paying the same for 20gb. 20gb is too much data and 4gb isn't enough. 10gb is the same price as 20gb was. Gross. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

New plans out. A $29/10GB and $26/4GB.

Edit: I don't recall if the $29 plan was/is the same as before.

Sandalwood1

Not far behind you... my Billing Date is May 3. Soon to be waving bye bye and closely watching posts here and RFD for the best deals currently offered. Leaning to Freedoms prepaid yearly with 30gb data. be cheaper and better data then here at PM. I will be also mentioning and recommending my 5 referrals consider the same. Thanks PM for opening up my eyes and having me look at what the other companies are offering. See ya later, it was a nice 5 years.

Sandalwood1

Check out PC mobile (BELL), I see they have a flash sale on. 28gb data/talk/text for $29/month. On RFD in one of the freedom mobile posts a member said he got a bonus 25gb data and a free sim at Walmart when he ported from PM. Bought the yearly prepaid $149 plan with 30gb plus a 25gb bonus, total yearly for him was 55gb. Not a bad deal. I will be porting sooner then later when I can get over to Walmart to see if this is legit. So sick of Telus/PM and a total lack of response from 1000's of users here. Sad for such a large company. Worst Customer service ever.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HALIMACS wrote:

Indeed @eyes  - folks shouldn’t EXPECT a miracle, however i do hold the belief (contrary to naysayers) there’s valid reason to be upset and make that displeasure formally known.

@HALIMACS - agreed 100%, I would just add if one chooses to express displeasure in the form of a parody, one can apparently expect to have that moved to the Lounge

Indeed @eyes  - folks shouldn’t EXPECT a miracle, however i do hold the belief (contrary to naysayers) there’s valid reason to be upset and make that displeasure formally known.

eyes

By the way good people — PM has in the past raised existing plan pricing.  At the time there was also an uproar and CCTS. reporting to absolutely no avail. 

Need Help? Let's chat.