Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,434 REPLIES 5,434

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@golfball wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

@golfball wrote:

The bait and switch was offering plans like the $34 can-us plan for people to swap to and then surprise announcing that the price you thought you'd be paying will actually be much higher. Just look at my rewards page, next month I'll have to pay over $10 extra after taxes. As someone who was on the $15 plan before this month I would never have signed on for such a drastic jump. 

@golfball That argument is getting old. Their ToS say/said they can change or even cease the rewards program as they see fit. As you no doubt read the ToS when you signed up perhaps you should have taken it into consideration that they could at any time change or get rid of rewards. As for your plan, there is nothing stoping you from changing back to the $15 plan before your next renewal.

Bait and switch? Not even close. You got the plan you signed up for and as i said you can change back to the $15 plan before you are out any more money. Google bait and switch. If you feel that strongly about this whole thing call a lawyer.

Everyone on the old rewards is losing out going forward, myself included. No more available funds deposited into my account monthly. It sucks but it isn't near as traumatic for me as it appears to be for some. 

@kb_mv  Excuse me, I don't appreciate the condescending tone. I did NOT agree to pay $34 for my phone bill, I agreed to $28 max after rewards, simple as that. To say otherwise is just disingenuous. Whether they are allowed to do it or not isn't relevant. 

Yes, I will be weighing my options and adjusting my plan appropriately when the changes take effect.

@golfball,, but you did agree to the $34 plan, and the ToS that goes along with it saying rewards can be changed or ended with appropriate notice.  This plan didn't have a sale tag on it for $28 like you would see an item on sale in a retail store.  

@ShawnC13  Yes, I agreed to the $34 plan on the condition that the rewards existed making it an attractive price to me. I will exercise my right to change plans/providers just as PM is exercising their right to discontinue the rewards. Sale or rewards, doesn't matter to my bank account.

@golfball wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

@golfball wrote:

The bait and switch was offering plans like the $34 can-us plan for people to swap to and then surprise announcing that the price you thought you'd be paying will actually be much higher. Just look at my rewards page, next month I'll have to pay over $10 extra after taxes. As someone who was on the $15 plan before this month I would never have signed on for such a drastic jump. 

@golfball That argument is getting old. Their ToS say/said they can change or even cease the rewards program as they see fit. As you no doubt read the ToS when you signed up perhaps you should have taken it into consideration that they could at any time change or get rid of rewards. As for your plan, there is nothing stoping you from changing back to the $15 plan before your next renewal.

Bait and switch? Not even close. You got the plan you signed up for and as i said you can change back to the $15 plan before you are out any more money. Google bait and switch. If you feel that strongly about this whole thing call a lawyer.

Everyone on the old rewards is losing out going forward, myself included. No more available funds deposited into my account monthly. It sucks but it isn't near as traumatic for me as it appears to be for some. 

@kb_mv  Excuse me, I don't appreciate the condescending tone. I did NOT agree to pay $34 for my phone bill, I agreed to $28 max after rewards, simple as that. To say otherwise is just disingenuous. Whether they are allowed to do it or not isn't relevant. 

Yes, I will be weighing my options and adjusting my plan appropriately when the changes take effect.

@golfball,, but you did agree to the $34 plan, and the ToS that goes along with it saying rewards can be changed or ended with appropriate notice.  This plan didn't have a sale tag on it for $28 like you would see an item on sale in a retail store.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Ha2fly if you needed international roaming them PM was never the place for you and that is ok there are other providers that do offer that service

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Bunnyhop wrote:

Good save! Thank you for sharing those!

So someone can post something from the past like over 2 years ago and anyone that posts the ToS from that time gets called names?  I understand people are upset but we are where if you aren't happy there is NOTHING holding you here.  NO CONTRACT, NO SUBSIDIZED phone to pay for.  You are free to go wherever you can find the best plan just like you have always been.  A lot of people were very supportive of the 30 day contract as it didn't tie them in but now the new 30 day contract ever 30 days doesn't suit their stand and say they have a long standing contract with PM.  You don't you have a long term service relationship.  I know I will get called a SHILL or corporate lap dog but just putting out facts.  How many will stay if PM reverses this decision (I don't think they will) that isn't loyalty to a company that is loyalty to the bottom line of what it is costing you and that is what you SHOULD always do.

@Ha2fly wrote:

I'm honestly a bit tired of this answer whenever I explain my disappointment with the lack of roaming. I know how to use a esim. I am European; I have European esims every time I travel. Have you ever received a notification from the CRA abroad? Have you dealt with the frustration of not being able to receive a verification code because PM doesn't want to offer roaming? PM is not longer cheaper than the competitors; it is no longer an excuse. 

@Ha2fly My apologies for offending you. It wasn't intended. Lot's of people aren't aware of the options when it comes to international roaming and think the pricey add ons from providers is it. I only replied thinking that you are a PM customer and haven't worried about roaming until now.

CRA doesn't send me text message notifications, they email them to me. Never had occasion to receive a verification code or 2FA on any of my accounts when I have been away. The Government (not all departments yet) has started using authenticator apps which is better than using a phone number and SMS. All my social media and email accounts as well as US government accounts are all set up with an authenticator app. My bank sends alerts through my banking app, even when I am not signed in, no phone number needed.

Again, sorry for ruining your day with my useless reply, perhaps someone else reading will find it beneficial.

simon247
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'd upvote this a thousand times if I could. The lack of International Roaming has ruined my vacation and cost me more than all of my savings so far with PM, which I documented on my only thread on this Community. Having our numbers become paperweight (if even that) the moment our flight takes off until we land back in Canada is unacceptable in 2024.

I'm unaware of any other carriers outside of Canada that disable roaming functionality. I use random Polish and Thai pre-paid SIM cards that are receiving text messages for free in Canada and anywhere else in the world, that I don't even have to pay anything monthly for, and I'm not sure there's even a way to *disable* roaming anymore, as in 2024 it's a given that a valid number will work anywhere there's a network signal.

In Canada, even Freedom Mobile (say what you will about their service quality) allows you to make and receive texts and calls through wifi calling abroad, for free. You can also do this with Rogers and Fido.

Currently, beyond the need for a Canadian number to authorize access to plenty of Canadian institutions, Banks, authorize Credit Card purchases, I wouldn't be able to even log in to this community from another country. I'd be unable to even see any important texts or call, as the number is useless and inaccessible for the duration of travel.

The fact we've been waiting for International Roaming for so many years and still haven't gotten it is a huge issue steering me away from PM. And the removal of old rewards seem like the final push, as it won't even be affordable anymore to keep PM as a "backup" number for data in Canada if I get a main number with a non-Telus carrier that doesn't make my number useless and doesn't expose me to unexpected critical risks whenever I leave North America.

Patrick_PM

So I submitted 2 complaints with CCTS - One for each mobile number I have with Public Mobile)

Despite the complaints being nearly identical, one gets accepted and the other hasn't been accepted. I guess it all depends on who picks up your file.

golfball

@kb_mv wrote:

@golfball wrote:

JDBlue1966

So they lied then. 

JDBlue1966

I have the same problem with roaming. It’s so frustrating. 

Ha2fly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm honestly a bit tired of this answer whenever I explain my disappointment with the lack of roaming. I know how to use a esim. I am European; I have European esims every time I travel. Have you ever received a notification from the CRA abroad? Have you dealt with the frustration of not being able to receive a verification code because PM doesn't want to offer roaming? PM is not longer cheaper than the competitors; it is no longer an excuse. 

Bunnyhop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good save! Thank you for sharing those!

Bunnyhop

Some folks dont know what they're doing sadly.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why exactly are you even here then? You've spent the past month telling people that PM did nothing wrong, and for them to just get over it. Why not just let people voice their frustration? Why do you feel the need to constantly defend PM with every message?

@golfball wrote:

Joe_G

@golfball wrote:

I too was on the $15 plan with legacy rewards, and upgraded to the $34 can-us plan. When the points system kicks in for me in May I will actually pay around $30 plus tax, which I think is a pretty good deal for that plan. I have one referral so I will get 1 point for that, plus 5% of my payment, plus 10 points every twelve months =  0.83 points/mo. I pay with vouchers which I buy at a grocery store with a credit card which pays 3% cash back at grocery stores. I know its not as good as the legacy rewards but I think it's still a pretty good deal.

@Ha2fly wrote:

Anywhere outside US

@Ha2fly If you are travelling outside the USA a much cheaper option is a travel sim, data only. I use one all through the Caribbean, central America and Europe with no issues. Add on roaming from providers is usually way more expensive. Rogers roaming outside the US is $15 day. Freedom has a monthly plan, 15GB/$45 per month. Telus Easy Roam is $16/day. There are much better options out there. 

Bunnyhop

It is good to see where you stand on this.

golfball

IMG_3493.jpeg

ashishg1

i think what it comes down is deceptive plans and unethical marketing practices. Here is a 100$ plan with 20 discounts that bring it down to 15$. these discounts are forever but we can take away at anytime and create a loophole of increasing price of grandfathered plans without giving any more benefits.

The best way to deal with companies that do this is to switch. Plain and simple. Our governments are too inept to have any laws that prevent these companies from doing such things so its all legal

Ha2fly

Anywhere outside US

colleeno

Name calling just because someone disagrees with your opinion??? And the fact that some people are losing their sanity and politeness towards others over a phone plan?

I am a nobody at Public Mobile (so don’t call me a shill) and have been a customer for 5 years. Yes, I am disappointed that my rewards will be changed because who wants to pay more for anything BUT it was written in the Rewards Terms and Conditions since the beginning of the program that Public Mobile could change or cancel it at any time.

By the way, I agree 100% with the sentiment expressed in the 3 comments you pulled from Reddit.

@Ha2fly wrote:

The only reason to stay with a provider that doesn’t offer roaming in 2024 was the price thanks to the legacy rewards plan. 

@Ha2fly Roaming to where?

Ha2fly

I will move to a different provider as soon as the change is effective. The only reason to stay with a provider that doesn’t offer roaming in 2024 was the price thanks to the legacy rewards plan. 

NoseyNick1

> A good marketing team may conclude to leave the “old timer” accounts be and just focus on gaining new accounts

I dunno, there's also a certain expense in keeping 2 systems active, not just running 2 sets of servers and 2 sets of software, but the support hassle of "oh wait, you're a legacy rewards customer, let me check the other system", training staff for 2 different systems, and so on. Take this to its illogical extreme, they could be maintaining 5 (dis)loyalty systems in a few years and training staff to understand all 5 of them? From time to time, you just gotta obsolete the old stuff and force people onto the new stuff... I get it.

HOWEVER, we were promised that "in 5 years, you'll be saving $5/mo" - that was a pretty long-term commitment, part of the reason I signed up, part of the reason I acted as uncontracted PM marketting with my referrals too. It SHOULD have been trivial to offer 2 points/mo for autopay, 1pt/mo for a year of loyalty up to 5pts/mo for 5 yrs loyalty, and so on - keep 1pt=$1, ideally make it so I can automagically spend X pts to take $X off every bill, but in any case continue to reward our loyalty as promised, just on the new system.

That, they haven't done. I signed up for "up to $5/mo discount after 5yrs, $2/mo for autopay", knowing that even if it started out overpriced, like the rest of the Canadian mobile providers, it would eventually approach more reasonable EU/UK/rest-of-world pricing (even if MUCH less data).

It might not be an immediate bait-n-switch, it might have been a bit of a long-con bait-n-switch, but I was still sold on a 5+yr loyalty plan commitment, only to later find it rug-pulled before i ever had a chance to claim that $5/mo back.

G_Pomzz

@Ohnewone  said;

This is bait and switch and bad business practices we were told this was supposed to be for new users only and old users were supposed to be kept with the old rewards program

You are pretty misinformed. It's absolutely not a case of "bait and switch" advertising. 

A vendor that advertises an item to get you into the store, then doesn't have that item but pressures you into buying a similar higher priced item is the classic bait and switch technique. 

@Bunnyhop So everyone who disagrees with you is a corporate shill?

Edit: Shilla person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with said person or organization.

The four posts that you showed are from people that you believe have an undisclosed close relationship with PM?

Bunnyhop

Here are three examples of what these corporate shills on reddit think about about us

1. The sense of entitlement is pretty strong. I would just shut down PM and let those entitled brats choose between Telus and Koodo.
Anyhow, even without any rewards system, Public already has the most competitive plan in the market with great coverage.

2. Agreed, even with the new points system (I typically cash in for the $15 off my bill) PM is still the best price I have found. Most phone companies don't have any rewards program at all. I have been a part of many rewards programs for different businesses/ stores that have changed over the years (or just flat out ended).I understand that people are mad about the changes, really I do. But i just don't think there is much of a claim here... "this company was giving me free stuff and now they decided to stop (give less)". I am sure in the fine print than no one ever reads it says something like “we reserve the right to modify the rewards program”.

3. So what? My PM plan is five years old. You are entitled and paranoid. Imagine protesting over a BONUS.  Just move to another provider. Pretty sad when you're in here criticizing the age of my Reddit account. Laughable. $34 for 50GB!!!!

Edit: I had to take one example off because it is duplicate.

Public_Cust_17

@Bunnyhop  I'm also encouraging everyone to read over the email I drafted up and sent to The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) and to use it as a starting point (or to create a new one themselves) and include all of their points in an email to the committee. The committee is currently reviewing the pricing policies of the mobile operators and I'd like them to have every complaint and bit of information that they can regarding PM's tactics.. the more they hear from might not help but it won't hurt.   Cheers

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-our-Old-Rewards-Pro...

Bunnyhop

Yikes guys the astroturfers on r/publicmobile are so balatant and disrepectful.

Need Help? Let's chat.