Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,583 REPLIES 5,583

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@simon247 - Yes, and since carriers have to tell and buy spectrum from the government to place cell towers it is hard to get it in certain locations.

Dimane
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am not happy with Public Mobile's decision to go back on the promise made to their customers. When Public Points was introduced, we were told we could remain on the legacy rewards system as long as we remained with PM. The new points will cause a significant increase on my bill and I am planning to join the host of other customers who have brought this issue to the CCTS.

simon247
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kb_mv wrote:

@NoseyNick1 wrote:

I would also note that $9/mo (well OK, 5GBP) gets 5GB/mo in the UK, so 250MB $9/mo is still orders of magnitude worse than common plans in Europe   😞

@NoseyNick1 The UK has 1.5 ish times the population of Canada (67 million to 40 million) and is about 41 times smaller area than Canada. Economies of scale play a big part.

Yet somehow Canada also has a far smaller network infrastructure than the UK.

For context, Canada has fewer than 15 thousand wireless cell towers. For context, China has got 2.1 million, South Korea has 1.5 million, Japan has got 800 thousand. England alone has got nearly twice as long of a telecom infrastructure, and nearly twice as many towers as Canada. The idea that Canada is big was a convenient white lie by our telecom companies. It is more expensive and bureaucratically challenging to build new infrastructure here, but our infrastructure is tiny in comparison to other countries.

If you leave population centres in Canada, you're highly likely to be stuck outside of service very quickly. We've even got active farmlands with no cell reception. We've got whole communities not far from major population centres that have no cell reception. This isn't the case in most of the world, where "white" areas are isolated to remote forest sections and the like. Our telecoms simply are some of the worst and most expensive in the world, as they aren't threatened by real competitors operating at modern international standards.

simon247

I posted here before, see no answers from Public Mobile (except actions indicating that it is clearly doubling down on the change still) and have submitted my complaint.

I guess now it's time for Public Mobile to change its name, as they have killed off among the final big things that made them stand out as a brand that follows what people have been asking for.

I've been on the fence for a while, as it's been years of waiting for international roaming or wifi calling that could allow me to at least receive texts abroad. With my number becoming useless while I travel, with no access to 2FA texts/calls, it's been a huge challenge. This change is the last straw and a good push to shop around outside of Telus brands.

FrankHowdy

I do not agree with this I prefer immediate discount vs having to purchase an amount later.

This is not a fair trade 

Ewolf

In the terms and conditions, I understand PM can change the value of the points anytime to 1point is 1 cent if they wanted to.

Ewolf

I'm sorry it was a rhetoric question!

jumphightosee8

I suspect most of them are the recently enrolled customers who receive points instead of $$:)

fixin

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Ewolf 

you shouldn't single out those who gave bravos.  Everyone has it view.  Just that you don't agree doesn't mean everyone thinks the same

There is always two sides to one post. One "Oh, no" type (Which the majority is) and the "Thanks for letting us know!" (Which is the minority.)

HI @Ewolf 

you shouldn't single out those who gave bravos.  Everyone has it view.  Just that you don't agree doesn't mean everyone thinks the same

@Ewolf wrote:

Just a stupid question. Who gave here a bravo?

@Ewolf , that’s easy to check… on any post just click on the word “Bravos” and it will show you who Bravoed it.

Ewolf

Just a stupid question. Who gave here a bravo?

Davbergh1

Very disappointing, and the bonus data is meaningless to me

fixin

@LitlLdy - 🤣 Haha! I almost forgot that it was Easter Monday!

jtos14mb14

This is garbage. My family and I have been with PM for years and should be able to choose which program we keep. Extra data when we're don't even use all the data in our plans is useless and a weak attempt to silence unhappy, loyal customers. 

jumphightosee8

Me and family have been with Public Mobile almost 8 years, now it is time for changing. Shame for Public Mobile to be greedy to loyal customers. Forcing them to move to points reward, also creating the drama of 240GB bonus data!  

Brat-71

Been with public mobile for almost 7 years, and recommended to may others-I don't agree with the forced change to public points am looking around for a new provider, sadly- but the Customers should have the choice- points or rewards- I like my rewards! and the bonus data is really nothing to me , I don't use half of my paid data in a month so the Bonus truly is just a smoke and mirror show.. 

upandadam

My posts regarding the official reply to my CCTS complaint by Telus are being automatically removed. 

What a joke.

mobileuser454

I'm pretty sure you can't legally do this

I do not consent to have my reward program changed, put it back

woodwroughtiron

I joined Public Mobile for the reasonable rates and the reward structure really made the difference in retaining my business. The new rewards program drastically reduces my discount and the offered data perk for customers like me is not appealing. The original rewards structure was what other people  responded to whenever I would recommend Public Mobile. 

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Screenshot_2024-04-01-19-35-37-491_com.google.android.apps.magazines-edit.jpg

 Don't jump ship yet. Damage control may be coming soon with a possible offer to appease Legacy Rewards customers! 

Hello1225Hello

I don't want to miss my discount. You need to keep the old rewards. If you remove it, I don't need to stay with Public Mobile. 

Larsh

Classic bate and switch. Always felt like I was a valued customer of Public Mobile but this changes things. The bonus data I recieved for being a "loyal customer" is useless and has no value as I can't go through all the data in a month that I already pay for. I have always recommended Public Mobile to people looking for a fair service provider but at this point I can no longer do that and I will start doing something I haven't done in years, start shopping around for a new provider. 

FormosaWest1

Im very dissapointed to lose 120$ per year in discounts, for 10 points per year and 5%.

I can do math. This new program is worse.

Packaging this as a better deal is insulting to our intellegence. The least they could do is deliver the news with sincere condolences, and justify it. It feels disresepctful.

I had never thought about changing providers. Now, FIZZ mobile looks like a a deal to keep an eye on.

I would rather keep my rewards than receive points.. 5% as points is signicantly less that the discount id earned through referrals, loyalty and

Crazyray79

The "reward" I got is a joke.  Been with public mobile for years, I have 50gb a month data that I never use.  My "reward?" bonus data ill never use

Cova

Same here

kiu92

I have been with Public Mobile for 6+ years, it has always been the reward program that kept me as a customer. When Public Mobile first launched and tried to switch me over to their "new" reward program which is much less rewarding, they quickly backtracked and on January 24, 2022; they sent out an email to me, like many others, that "You may have received an earlier email about being switched to
Public Points. Please disregard this email - we apologize for any
confusion this may have caused.
We want to emphasize that joining Public Points
is optional for all existing customers.
If you decide not to join, your current Rewards will remain the same.
You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount."

This clearly is in breach of that promise. Obviously the only reason this change is that Public Mobile wants to eliminate the discounts we have always gotten under the original program, which amounts to $7 per month for a lot of people, myself included. This is unfair and obviously false advertising as one of the main reasons when we first joined Public Mobile it is because of the rewards we are promised by the carrier.

TaylorG

As a Loyal public mobile customer for the last, nearly a decade, I think this is the first time I've even looked at other offerings. If this change goes through as planned I will absolutely be taking my business elsewhere. Sad times.

Need Help? Let's chat.