Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,503 REPLIES 5,503

@RetiredGuy1 I didn't say that at all.  I just said that this thread wasn't the place for it.  A separate thread could be done up for that.  That is all that was meant by my post

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BM61
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I always wondered when this good thing would come to an end....and here we are!! I spent time informing people about how good this program was, encouraged them to sign up and spent time getting them set up. Now I have to tell several of them that the program has changed and they will no longer see the discounts. Moving forward, I will be looking for a better deal and hope people keep posting those good deals. Too bad for everyone.

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Captn001 - You will be paying full price ($34) after May 1st unless they veto the decision.

You will be earning 1.70 points and if you have refer-a-friend rewards will be 1 point per friend.

Also no $2 autopay bonus and loyalty bonus.

If you want to have less data, maybe consider the $29 20GB LTE (100mbps) Canada-wide plan. But the $34 is a deal breaker with unlimited data at the moment or US roaming if you got the plan.

fixin

@Knockali5 - I am staying but it is okay to leave at anytime.

I won't want a service without USA coverage and one that will leave my house with 2 bars and on LTE instead of 5G.

-----------

And also I just found out TELUS just updated their coverage map to include my home for 3500mhz. Haven't seen Standalone yet but 5G+ is displaying in some areas of the neighbourhood!

SeniorCitizen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Knockali5 wrote:

It seems like freedom and pc will be net beneficiaries in this.  Freedom yearly plans are extremely affordable.  PC has got similar plans to PM but little sweeter. I will also wait til may to switch all lines.  

Not  sure if Freedom has good coverage. I would stay if PM eliminates the loyalty program in its entirety. It’s now infamous and has lost its thrill. And if PM would beat, price wise, Freedoms annual plans….I would remain. PM needs to reinvent themselves vs revising the loyalty program, which has made many very angry. 😡 

Knockali5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems like freedom and pc will be net beneficiaries in this.  Freedom yearly plans are extremely affordable.  PC has got similar plans to PM but little sweeter.  
I will also wait til may to switch all lines.  

MandyJS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Wolfcore wrote:

I wouldn't switch just yet though. If you're still on the old rewards system until May anyway, maybe wait it out and see if PM comes to their senses and reverses this horrible decision haha. I highly doubt it, but you never know. Regardless, that PC Mobile deal is still really good.

Yea, I'm not changing for a while, I'm prepaid on the 90 day plan until May 11th, so I have a whole to sort out all this moving stuff lol... Still hoping they come to their senses, but like to shop around to see what's the best. 😊

Captn001

What does this mean? If the plan I have is $34 and with the rewards I am paying $26, what will I be paying in May?

Just so you have further information, @MandyJS : (in the below, 1 point=$1)

• Public Mobile also gives you 10 points per year.
  • For every referral you may bring to Public Mobile, you get 1 point per 30-day cycle, if they stay with Public Mobile.
  • If you like to 'help out' in the Community forum, you can earn 1-15 points per 30-day cycle; granted, to reach 15 requires countless hours of your time.  1 point, about an hour or less a day. 15 points, easily 3+ hours a day.

The 'downside' to points, is one needs to 'earn' 15 before a user can redeem for $15 credit.

So, although the PC Mobile offer is intriguing, just thought you ought to know the above as well.

🙂

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I wouldn't switch just yet though. If you're still on the old rewards system until May anyway, maybe wait it out and see if PM comes to their senses and reverses this horrible decision haha. I highly doubt it, but you never know. Regardless, that PC Mobile deal is still really good.

MandyJS

Yea, PC Mobile shows me in the 5G area, so I'd be fine there 😊

Wolfcore

PC Mobile and Lucky both run on on the Bell network as far as I know, so you should be good with those. Freedom is a bit more tricky, but yeah, if you're only in the "nationwide" coverage, maybe it would be best to stay away from them for now, just in case.

MandyJS

Thanks for that awesome breakdown staticcory! Freedom's coverage map looks a little dubious in my area (not showing 5G or 4G with their network, but "Nationwide"), so I'm not sure about them for me, but that PC Mobile one is looking quite tempting!

fleety15

That's exactly how they replied to my complaint. Good news the CCTS denied their objections. Not sure what happens now. Probably nothing but at least the CCTS is not letting it go easily. 

Wolfcore

I actually wrote a little writeup for someone else, I'll just repost it here for you, in case it helps:

PC Mobile
- 25gb data with autopay (PM is only 20gb)
- 5G speed (PM is only 4G)
- includes US calling (PM's doesn't)
- get 5% back in pc optimum points, or 10% if you use one of their credit cards (PM is only 5% back, period)
- 20k free optimum points after 2 months ($20)

Freedom Mobile 
also has their $29/20GB plan, except theirs includes US roaming for Data and talk. So even Freedom would be better for a lot of people (those who travel once or twice a year).

Lucky 
is technically better (at least for the first year). If you have referrals, it wouldn't even be a question. Lucky is $29/25GB (PM is only 20GB), but they give you 1 month free, which is more rewarding than PM's 5% + $10 anniversary bonus. If you even have a single referral, Lucky pays you $50 (and your referral). With PM, a single referral would take over 4 years to give you that $50.

MandyJS

@Wolfcore wrote:

Yeah, but it's a pretty bad plan in comparison to the $29 plans that freedom, lucky, and PC mobile have

ooh, I'll have to check them too then

Wolfcore

Yeah, but it's a pretty bad plan in comparison to the $29 plans that freedom, lucky, and PC mobile have

MandyJS

The bonus data was listed as an incompatible add-on last I checked anyway, and I haven't even used my free Christmas data, so I think I'd rather lose my (useless) data if it means I can save $5 a month 😄 Thanks for the info @colleeno , I'll look into changing my scheduled plan on my account later tonight!

colleeno

@MandyJS wrote:

I just noticed the one 4G plan for $29 doesn't say it's for new users anymore on the main page, anyone tried scheduling that change? I'm not on my computer right now so I'm not sure if it shows in our accounts or not.

Yes, existing subscribers can schedule the $29 plan change. If you received the Bonus data and this plan costs less than your current plan, the Bonus Data will be removed.

MandyJS

I just noticed the one 4G plan for $29 doesn't say it's for new users anymore on the main page, anyone tried scheduling that change? I'm not on my computer right now so I'm not sure if it shows in our accounts or not.

Screenshot_20240327-185957543.png

NoseyNick1

Pfffft. In short, "We can do what we want, because we said so, ner ner ner-ner ner"?   🙄

AngTsang

So PM responded to the CCTS complaint that I filed with this:

Screenshot_20240327_152135_Email.jpg

 So lame!!!

eyes

We’re on 30day prepaid plans. We’re on a short term 30 day contract . Wonder if at the end of April one were to initiate a 90 day contract on the old rewards system,i if then they would have to honour a further 90 days on the reward system.

colleeno

@Knockali5 wrote:

Everybody in my family has received data but me.  240 GB was promised but only 5 to 30 GB was added to their accounts.  

It depends what plan you are on. It is 5gb for the $15 plan, 30gb for $25 plan and 240gb for higher priced plans. If you downgrade to a lower priced plan, you will lose the Bonus data.

golfball

@Knockali5  Have any of you downgraded plans? If you do the data bonus may be smaller than 240GB or removed from your account. 240GB bonus is only offered to the highest priced plans.

Knockali5

Everybody in my family has received data but me.  240 GB was promised but only 5 to 30 GB was added to their accounts.  

I don’t consider this off-topic at all.

I believe there have been some off-topic comments on this thread, but I also know there’s been flexibility exercised on this thread, so why not continue it?

RetiredGuy1

@HALIMACS wrote:

Wouldn’t it be great if all companies sought advice and guidance from their customer base before making changes?

It wouldn’t surprise me if some companies may have tried this, and when they received vast differences/scales of replies, and realized they would not please the majority of them, they found the exercise to be less than helpful.

And to be honest, I’m not sure what’s worse. Asking for feedback and getting lots of it, and then not accepting most of it -OR- just doing it without any prior knowledge. Sure, some would feel they’ve had the chance to express their opinions, but many likely others would feel that their opinions were not listened to or heard.

It likely wouldn’t have made a hill of beans of a difference in their actions.

Still… It’s a good thought.

@HALIMACS  Thanks for taking the time to compose a well thought out response that considers different aspects of a subject. I agree with what you’re saying and I was just trying to suggest a means for PM to avoid future fiascos. Also, the proverb “nothing ventured, nothing gained” came to mind. But, enough already - these ideas are off-topic 😉

Wolfcore

To be honest, sounds like it was most likely just an issue with your APN settings, and it not being configured correctly. I don't know your location or anything else, but even if you weren't in an area with 3G access, the Galaxy Note 9 has VoLTE, so it should have worked regardless. It could have been a mixture of your apn settings, or VoLTE not being enabled, etc. But yeah, that particular phone (and most phones made within the last 5 years or so), should have no issue. As long as they support the proper frequencies of course.

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13 

Unless my posts are the exception out of almost 3,600 now, I don’t appreciate being singled out based on your opinion. You have stated in previous posts that what you post is just your opinion after all. If you feel there are others, perhaps you could be so kind as to enlighten us all with the specific parameters which you consider on-topic and off-topic. Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.