Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,355 REPLIES 5,355

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It's exactly what it is, yeah. That's why there are so many disgruntled customers. What's even worse, is that PM is telling us that they're moving us to this new system in order to offer us greater value. They're blatantly lying to us over and over again, they're shameless.

staticcory_0-1711061616274.png

Yatti4201
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Its' even worse then I thought if that is truly what the reward threshold is. I'll be gone by June.

Yatti4201

They are likely extremely oversuscribed and this spreads out people to Koodo and Telus which I am sure are about to launch the best deals around. Then people who truly leave will lessen the network load etc.

ashishg1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This decision by PM has been an amazing marketing for all providers other than PM. Way to go from one of the best providers to the worst. Almost seems like its done on purpose to get rid of subscribers and then close off PM

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Grinch   here's an independent review I found regarding them. It's comparing 5G but should give you an idea about the company.. https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/10/26/testing-freedom-mobile-5g-network-canada/

JDBlue1966

Haven't seen anything bad  about them. Plus, you can always move to another provider, if needed. The saving is well worth it. 

Grinch

@JDBlue1966 wrote:

That is better. IMG_8472.jpeg

Wow. The $149 plan is $12.43 a month. And based on my current use for the past decade ….. is perfect. 
But can Freedom be trusted? 

Wolfcore

Oh yeah, Bell sent me one of these too, pretty great deal if you need a lot of data, but really just that. The plan is very basic outside of that. No US roaming for the data, no US calling, only text is international, etc. So it's really only a good plan if you never leave Canada, and you need 100GB for some odd reason. If you don't need 100GB, you're better off just paying less money, for less data. 

on2wheels

Just got an offer from my internet provider for 100GB a month for $40, shareable data too, whatever that means.

J_PM are you still getting notifications about this thread?

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yep, wasn’t disputing the savings but just wanting to clarify the timing of the application of the anniversary points

Wolfcore

Yeah, give or take. But if you're starting fresh, my math would be correct. Regardless, still $27.40 year (except for the first year I guess, depending how PM handles the anniversary date)

Wolfcore

Depends how much data they need, really. Whether they want 5G speed too, whether they want US calling, etc. I offered up PC mobile because it's an equivalent price ($29), to the plan they were picking.

JDBlue1966

That is better. IMG_8472.jpeg

RetiredGuy1

But if you’ve been a PM subscriber for at least 12 consecutive months, you get the 10 points ($10) on your anniversary date. So, I interpret that as getting those 10 points as early as the day after migration if that happens to be your anniversary date? The FAQ doesn’t specify a PM points subscriber, just a PM subscriber. Some clarity on that from an Oracle would be appreciated.

Wolfcore

Pc Mobile is currently far superior to this PM plan. Their $29 plan includes:

- 25gb data with autopay (PM is only 20gb)
- 5G speed (PM is only 4G)
- includes US calling (PM's doesn't)
- get 5% back in pc optimum points, or 10% if you use one of their credit cards (PM is only 5% back, period)
- 20k free optimum points after 2 months ($20)

So objectively, you'd be getting far more value with PC Mobile

HI @Yatti4201 

for a $29 plan , you will get 1.45 point only , but 10 point on the anniversary. Not as good as before.  but other place's $29 plan won't give you this saving.  

Wolfcore

Little confused by what you're telling me, but regardless, with the new system (and the $29 plan), you'll only be getting 27.4 points per year ($27.40). You'll need to collect points for 11 months before you'll even be able to take a single cent off of your bill (we need to hit 15 points before being able to use any). At 11 months, you'll have 15.95 points ($15.95). After the 12th month, you'll get a 10-point anniversary bonus ($10).

So just compare the $27.40 from the new system, with the amount you're saving with the old system.

RetiredGuy1

@kb_mv and @Michael6666 

Thanks for the heads up! I had stopped looking at the plans currently available as I didn’t expect any changes until after May (if then even). Great timing as my cycle date is tomorrow. I moved off the $34 5G plan which is an over-subscription for my needs and just now moved to the $29 plan. Of course, I’d prefer the $24 plan which is still not available to me. I guess opening up the $29 plan could be viewed as “one small step for PM subscribers, one giant leap for PM bean-counters”. However, another view could be this is PM’s equivalent of dipping their toes in the water to check the temperature. Namely, if there is a big shift away from 5G plans to the $29 plan, then existing customers can kiss the chance of snagging the $24 plan goodbye. I hope I’m wrong and will post here admitting it if PM does allow the $24 plan.

Yatti4201
  • PAP $6 (Im currently on quarterly) 
  • $9.00 Loyalty 
    No referral. 
  • I thought my loyalty was due to increase or was a little higher. 
102 cost. 
87 was indicated amount. 

Moving to the same data/speed now $29 per month from the $34 on my may renewal date. 

Public_Cust_17

@SeniorCitizen   They also have postpaid plans on their 4G LTE network that could save you even more money.  I'd suggest you look at their coverage map and see if you'd even have 5G available as well as consider the actual amount of data that you would typically use.  Do you stream movies or game on your phone, listen to music or are you just using it to check the weather, text/email and maybe connect to your car for driving directions?  Just some thoughts for you to consider as their $29 plan with 20GB/month of data might work for you or maybe even the $24 plan with 4GB/month would suffice.   Cheers  🙂

Wolfcore

If you can tell me exactly how many referrals you have, and what number your loyalty reward is currently at ($5 off per month?), I can tell you exactly how much you'll be paying compared to the old system.

Wolfcore

If you don't mind paying in lump-sums, the Freedom yearly plans are much better and cheaper than that $15 plan. 

Yatti4201

I migrated to the $29/20GB per month. I was getting $34/20GB per month on that quarterly cycle. So they are letting people take that base rate it looks like. I am going to laugh if my bill without cash rebate is more then before. I suspect It will be very close lol. Exodus incoming. April May June is going to be a blood bath. I suspect they will have Koodo and Telus dominant offers.. 

Michael6666

Thanks, I know. I don't care, I use 2-3 Gb per month but like the security of extra and was willing to pay 34$ for the 50gb US that I go once a year on vacation. But now, I'm gone. fizz is cheaper and better for me than the points system. The only reason I'm holding on is a decision reversal in may, we'll see. 

Otherwise, as I've stated, 2/3 of my plans are leaving, only the 15$ is staying until something better comes along. 

Wolfcore

This is on their home page, it's their more heavily advertised plan right now. It's available to all as far as I know. If you look at their plans, it's the $39 plan, and then they apply a $5 digital discount to it.

JDBlue1966

Same with me. When I started with PM, it was because it was the cheapest, plus got rewards. Never even looked anywhere else. Now in surprised that there are better plans out there. 

SeniorCitizen

Is this a good deal. I had one pop up yesterday for Kelowna residents only and can’t find again. 

IMG_0280.jpeg

Public_Cust_17

@JDBlue1966   I'd definitely say they've done me a favour... I've learned a LOT in the last couple of weeks and was not even remotely considering jumping ship.  For 6 years I haven't even looked at anyone else and would've just continued on without searching out any new information.. so thanks for that PM!

@Michael6666 

@Michael6666 wrote:

I said I wasn't coming back but just noticed the 29$ for 20gb is available in my account. Must be an error by public Mobile (I'm in QC).

If anyone wants a cheaper plan until the may switch, I just downgraded to spend the minimum possible for my needs.

To be clear, I'm not monitoring this thread, just wanted to give the info. 

FYI, if you downgrade your plan, you will lose the data add on bonus that Public mobile offered for the migration.  

$29 plan may keep some legacy customers on the $35+ plans with Public mobile.

Public_Cust_17

@sa7375   I'd be fine staying with PM as well but I don't see them coming close to matching the deal or even caring to try for that matter. As a light user on the $15 with 6 years of PM loyalty it's only going to be a bit more per month than what I'm currently paying to switch to the yearly $119 plan that I'm looking at .. Starting in May, PM will be charging me $47.46 more a year (including "bonuses" and taxes) for a significantly inferior plan.. I'm not an accountant but this seems like a no-brainer... 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.