Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,352 REPLIES 5,352

Sandalwood1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As a 5 year PM customer and using the $15 plan, I would like to thank PM for their 'gift' of 5GB data... As a light user I am often in a wifi zone and don't need a lot of data. Now with the '150 day data "gift" ' I have been trying my best to use it up and not have wifi on just to see what I really need/use in the way of data. 
 What I have discovered is my 'future' provider Freedom and their $119 plan with 15GB will really suit me just fine and cheaper too then what I will pay here after May. Heck, I might even treat myself and buy the 30gb plan for a little more. I am in the freedom native zone 99.8% of the time plus someone to talk with on the phone if I need account help... either way I get unlimited calling ( don't have that now) and lots of data I will likely not use but one never knows. On the bright side the expiring 'gift' to me maybe the gift that keeps on giving by me 'giving' my loyalty and money to someone else and not PM or the Telus family of businesses !! 

@Michael6666 wrote:

I said I wasn't coming back but just noticed the 29$ for 20gb is available in my account. Must be an error by public Mobile (I'm in QC).

If anyone wants a cheaper plan until the may switch, I just downgraded to spend the minimum possible for my needs. 

@Michael6666 Not a mistake, PM has removed the new activations only so this is open to all. Should be interesting to see the comments. A lot of people were calling for this.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.00.32 PM.png

Michael6666
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I said I wasn't coming back but just noticed the 29$ for 20gb is available in my account. Must be an error by public Mobile (I'm in QC).

If anyone wants a cheaper plan until the may switch, I just downgraded to spend the minimum possible for my needs.

To be clear, I'm not monitoring this thread, just wanted to give the info. 

JDBlue1966

Think it would take me 200yrs. Just hope enough leave them and it backfires on them. 

Ben1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Total BULL if you ask me, way to go to screw over your loyal customers! The data is useless would take me 100 years to use up that nevermind 3 months

dariovitale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

IN REFERENCE TO MY COMMENTS POSTED in this wonderful national group chat with fellow Canadians...........please read my comments, they come from knowledge, experience and tip hints as well those from others. Whether on a single service basis or prices being offered for Home alarm, home internet, tv and single / family cell plan bundles and crunching the final numbers make the jump if it financially benefits. 

As I have mentioned in my previous comments I have closed my PM account and moved my cell to the rest of the 5 I have with Telus at $20 a month for each line with 50gb data CAN-US full roaming package. So, that said, my pm account is cancelled and so will be my community page. Was nice chatting with you all. Take care. 

G_Pomzz

@dariovitale said:

And to add that there have been news articles that came out within the last 3yrs saying 3G was being phased out completely in the U.S. by Dec 30th, 2023 and in Canada Dec 30th 2025

Yes, older phones that still work in Canada on the 3G network will no longer work in the USA. That's one of the reasons I upgraded to a 5G phone. I'm in the USA a lot. 

dariovitale

Its always about their wallets, not customers and loyalty to customers. 

dariovitale

And to add that there have been news articles that came out within the last 3yrs saying 3G was being phased out completely in the U.S. by Dec 30th, 2023 and in Canada Dec 30th 2025. Now in the states I believe they went through with it. But here in Canada when I sent messages to PM agents multiple times a year ago about the 3G stories they with mixed answers with "there is no industry 3g phase out planned" and "No phase out that we know of yet". 

dariovitale

I was 7.5yrs with PM on the old legacy rewards program. Was getting, with autopay and loyalty $9 off every month. $9 x 12 = $108. With the new points program, let alone the hassle to login and apply my points, total a year ine would be lucky to get back $20 total. Its a **bleep** over for old and new customers. Customers are much smarters and these pm agents and management foolishingly keep trying to convince us its great. However, still might stick around if PM offers them a plan that is better than the competition is offering. Some will move if they have better bundle deals being thrown at them..............In my case, I am a old and current ADT Alarm customer. Telus bought them years ago. In November '23 Telus offered me a alarm and 5 cell line family bundle package. $20 a month for alarm, $20 a month per cell line with 50gb unlimited data, Can-US calling with free call, text and data roaming in the U.S. per cell line. IT WAS a no brainer. And even though Telus owns PM with their current massive customer piss off decision I made the decision to shut my PM account 2 days ago and transfer my PM cell to my Telus family bundle. Then in 2yrs I will be researching the market again with my experience having worked 20yrs with the telco companies as my corporate client accounts. 

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Given the themes that have emerged in the forum and an observed increase in new posters (perhaps struggling to understand the negative feedback), or potential new customers hearing about this negative feedback elsewhere, the following could serve as an updated FAQ regarding the change in rewards programs:

Q.  If a customer has been with PM for 5 or more years, they had received $60 per year as a loyalty reward. A newer customer (since Jan 2022) has received 10 points or the equivalent $10 per year. Now, regardless of how long one has been a customer, everyone gets the equivalent of $10 per year. Is that a consistent approach to recognize loyalty?

A. No, but we don’t care

Q. Previously, a customer could have their rewards applied directly to their monthly bill. Now, a customer needs to accumulate 15 points ($15) to apply against their bill and must remember to do so and log into their account themselves to make it happen? Is that an improvement in client service?

A. No, but we don’t care. We’re hoping customers will accumulate 15 points ($15) and perhaps forget to log into their account to apply it themselves. Then, if they decide to leave to one of our competitors, we save money. 

Q. Customers on the 3G plans could be described as light data users interested in a very basic plan. Customers on a 4G plan want a moderate amount of data and may not have a 5G-enabled phone. Customers on a 5G plan, for whatever their individual reasons are, are paying the most to PM. However, currently your 4G plans are for new customers only. Could you explain your rationale behind this?

A. By removing the previous loyalty rewards offered, those on a 3G plan will be paying more and are not likely to move up to 4G (or 5G) as they’re light data users. Those on a 4G plan will be paying more and are not likely to move down to 3G because they’re moderate data users or to move up to 5G as those plans cost even more. Those on a 5G plan will be paying more and the temptation to move down to a 4G plan will not realize the actual savings by comparing costs since the removal of loyalty rewards effectively removed the “discounting” of plan prices. So, our rationale is we make more money regardless of our customers profile.

Q. There was a previously-offered bonus for joining the new points system which provided 1 point for every month a customer has been with PM. That has since been rescinded. A new bonus has been given which offers additional data (amount dependent on subscribed plan) that expires in 150 days and is only available if a customer doesn’t move to a lower-priced plan. For those who don’t use their plan-allotted data or wish to optimize the use of the bonus data by moving to a plan that offers less data, is there really any benefit to this “gift”?

A. No, but we don’t care

dariovitale

In Canada thats been around for years......its their way of saying "you'll be throttled down to 512kbps". There has to come a day these companies need to stop there current data practices and come up with FULL SPEED unlimited data plans just like home internet plans cause there is no valide excuse. They do it in other parts of the world. 

dariovitale

For example, if your unlimited plan has 100gb its 100gb at full speed. Then after that they throttle the speed down to 512kbps slower than turtle speed. BUT the data bonus they are giving is added to the 100gb at full speed. 

sa7375

@Public_Cust_17  That is exactly where I stand, though I haven't moved yet along with my three family accounts. I would like to continue with PM so long as they offered something similar in pricing to the Freedom Mobile's Annual Plan of $119.

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@sa7375   I hadn't really thought of that as I rarely check my rear-view mirror once I've decided to move on but since you asked, yes if I'm able to still sign on here and post an update I will.  🙂

sa7375

@fixin   At one time, and that is about 5 years back, Freedom did not enjoy a good reputation for the quality of their calls, though it must have improved over the years. Also, because their $119 plan offers VoLTE, the quality of their calls within the GTA should compare favorably with other established providers. Any comments?
@fixin wrote:

@sa7375 - Probably to not entice customers because the $15/month plan is $180 annually.

Freedom does seem like the #1 provider for annual plans, despite that they don't have the ability for all Canadians to have it yet for their MVNO service.

$99/year talk & text = $8.25/month.

$119/year talk, text, 15GB = $9.92/month.

$149/year talk, text, 30GB = $12.42/month.

Those plans are crazy cheap (If you live in the Freedom Coverage.)

JohnDoe3

True. My perception of Bell is they gouge. My perception of Rogers is that they're relatively incompetent. Imagine if enough know-how came together to enable ad-hoc participation of wireless towers to enroll as part of the freedom mobile network? If you could de-couple the role of provisioning the tower from the role of administering the network, then people with a baseline level of supporting services (power, internet above a certain bandwidth, maybe battery backup, etc), could check with CRTC on allowance of placement for certain categories of wave bands, and just stick up a small off-the-shelf tower. Then suddenly you have an organic distribution of 5G availability as diverse as the populace because we let ourselves sort out the bridge from the tower to the rest of the networking, and the hardware deals with all the cryptography. Then it becomes really easy to go to Freedom and say "ya, I'm within home network coverage", and the cost you pay vs the cost you make for the usage of the tower is sandwiched by the wholesale rates for roaming. If the costs don't work out, then your tower disconnects if it can't enlist within the cost structure required. And all of a sudden you have a ton of places where Freedom doesn't need to pay other telcos to roam on their networks.

Chauakas

Why you guys offer data to customers who are on unlimited data plan, if it meant to disappear when they change the subscription plan?. How in the world anyone can use the promotional data if they are on unlimited data plan.

bs everywhere 

fixin

Woah, Unlimited Data back in 2013? Just was looking up something on Google and a MobileSyrup article about the Unlimited Data Plan changing to 1GB in May of 2013 / 2014 caught my eye.

Public_Cust_17

@dariovitale Dirt cheap and I'd say pretty good value for the money with the 4G LTE speeds, 15 GB data and unlimited Canada wide calling and International text..  This pre-paid yearly plan is my personal exit plan after I spend a month on their $19/month plan to see if it's even half decent for me. 

Something else that I found very interesting in their terms and conditions "Once your full-speed allotment is depleted, you will continue to have access to data services, with no data overage fees, but at a slower speed".  That's the first time I've ever seen that offered by a mobile carrier!

JohnDoe3

They're effectively doubling the cost of the lowest plans, so as long as they don't lose more than 50% of that category, the ones who remain are paying the losses of the ones that left. Obviously the math is different at different tiers, but that's the gist of the logic. Besides which, it doesn't matter if it's $1M loss or $10M loss, money is money, and a decision that loses money in the long-term is a bad decision.

stormy13

@Cheefster wrote:

Dear Public Mobile. Please just call the forced switch of the legacy rewards to the new Public Points system what it is: Devaluing loyalty and reducing rewards. I've been with PM for 4 years on the $25/month plan, referred 6 people, so here's how the legacy Rewards system compares with the new points system:

Legacy Rewards New Points
Autopay$2/month5% ($1.25)/month
Loyalty$4/month (4 years)$0.83/month (10 points/12 months)
Refer-a-friend$6/monthsame
Helping otherssamesame
Total$12 off$8.08 off

Worst of all, I now have to go in every month to spend my points, rather than having the money automatically taken off my bill. 

Really wish people would stop posting things like this as there is zero monthly deductions with the points system unless you manage to earn at least 15 points per month. The part about having to remember to log in once you have the 15 points I fully agree with though.

Croatian_Cowboy

Thank you.  I will start shopping for another provider before may.  That's exactly what I needed to know. 

Yatti4201

Forcing me to use stupid reward points? Nahh. Ill leave if my bill goes up. 

Gruumine

Time to move to a different provider. I got 4 lines and I am going to move all of them….

@Croatian_Cowboy wrote:

So what I'm wondering is I've been with PM for 5 years so I have a dollar off for every year I have been with PM.  Plus 2 dollars for auto pay, so with this new rewards program does that mean I lose everything and go back to being treated like someone who just signed up ?  Because if that's the case I will be looking Elsewhere. The entire reason I even joined PM was because of the loyalty rewards and now I'm thinking my 5 years of service means nothing?  Can someone answer this for me?  I can't find anything on it.  Please help. 

@Croatian_Cowboy 

You will be paying full original monthly fee starting in May 2024.  There is no monthly autopay or loyalty rewards.  

You will get 5% back in your plan payment in points.  Once a year on your anniversary date (sign up), you will get 10 loyalty points.  If you referred any friends, you will still get 1 point for each friend referred as long as friend stays with Public mobile.  You will also need to manually convert 15 points to $15 bill credit.  

Here is some more info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/public-points

dariovitale

AND THERE ARE FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER AND LOOK AT..............Without any service from a single provider and without a sim card inserted people can still make 911 calls. Its a old federal gov't law that was passed since the early days of mobile phones just like some free to air antenna tv channels. Also some people are using apps like WHATSAPP, MESSENGER, IG AND SNAPCHAT  to make audio and video calls. Companies like Fonus are getting popular as well people purchasing dirt cheap prepaid plans based in other countries that work here in Canada. 

hncfreyja2

Yeah, PM, we're not buying what you're selling.  You tout "more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility" and "enhancing our Points program" yet fail to provide examples as to what that might be.  I'm sorry, but nothing trumps extra dollars in our wallets.   I've always sang the praises of PM to everyone I know, but now you're just like everyone else.  And now every time I have to sign in to apply these stupid points (when discounts were auto-applied previously, let's not forget) I have to put in that ridiculous Eversafe code that drives me crazy from this forced two-factor crap that I neither need nor want yet are forced to use -- yippee!!!  Yep, not impressed. 

If you were looking to anger your existing and loyal customer base, you've done a fine job in accomplishing just that.  Give yourself a raise!  You can use the money taken from us to pay for it! 

dariovitale

"If you just compare in Canada, 2019 to 2024 alone, we're offering in some cases 10 times more data for $40 less a month," said Bibic..............I have a relative who worked 40yrs for Videotron as a linesman and infrastructure foreman. They told me 100mb to 1,000,000 gb of allowed data does not cost any telco company higher prices, hardly if any. Its bull. 

Croatian_Cowboy

So what I'm wondering is I've been with PM for 5 years so I have a dollar off for every year I have been with PM.  Plus 2 dollars for auto pay, so with this new rewards program does that mean I lose everything and go back to being treated like someone who just signed up ?  Because if that's the case I will be looking Elsewhere. The entire reason I even joined PM was because of the loyalty rewards and now I'm thinking my 5 years of service means nothing?  Can someone answer this for me?  I can't find anything on it.  Please help. 

Need Help? Let's chat.