Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,503 REPLIES 5,503

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@G_Pomzz wrote:

@RetiredGuy1 

Yup, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

PM has probably responded to more CCTS complaints in the last month than in the history of the company. 

It's not the first time - https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/lessons-from-the-public-mobile-price-increase/

Judging by the numbers and types of replies in this thread - and by Public Mobile's edits of their original announcement - and by the conspicuously low number of Bravo upvotes - and by what people are saying about it all at other sites like reddit and RFD (not to mention all the usual media vultures who try to present their opinions about the matter as facts) - Public Mobile's employees will be busy responding to some CCTS inquiries.

But I think the sad truth of the matter is that Public Mobile hasn't in fact done anything wrong. At least not in any technical or legal way. We "agreed" to the terms of service in the Rewards program, and we "agreed" that they could change those terms at any time, and we even "agreed" in advance that we already "agree" to these hypothetical new terms. They gave us (exactly) one billing cycle worth of advance notice, as specified in their own Terms.

The way Public Mobile (Telus) cut out loyalty bonuses quietly, sneakily after dark before making their announcement about Rewards-customers-being-moved-to-Points the very next morning was slimy and unethical (and a bit cowardly) - it feels like a premeditated rip-off to pad somebody's pockets at the cost of devaluing the loyalty of many long time customers - but passing judgement on those qualities is beyond CCTS and CRTC mandates.

I guess losing all the "expenses" attached to the Rewards program, along with many generally money-conscious (low plan cost) subscribers will temporarily boost Telus's ARPU numbers at their next shareholder/investor meetings. Look at how we "increased profit margins" and "raised the average revenue per subscriber". I've seen them gaslight their customers so I would expect them to gaslight everyone else they deal with, too.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@G_Pomzz 

How many existing customers leaving is a tangible measurement. But consider the intangible effect. Namely, potential new customers from the other telecoms (tier 1, tier 2, tier 3) and first-time subscribers. Its a competitive market and many people are undecided which way to go. If the deciding factor is the feeling that Telus(PM) can’t be trusted, that could be the deciding factor to stay away. If the backlash were to grow large and loud enough, Telus(PM) might blink and make, at the very least, some meaningful concessions. One thing is certain, without any negative feedback, we might as well line up outside of Telus’ HQ, drop our pants, bend over and grab our ankles…

@RetiredGuy1 All providers have that image with someone.  You talk with people and hear I will never deal with Rogers or won't deal with Bell and some already were like that with Telus.  You gotta go where it is the best deal for yourself.  PM has had huge amounts of new subscribers see the reward points were introduced so they have been growing without having to discount there plans like they were.  They have obviously reached a point where this growth will offset any loss of Legacy Reward users leaving

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

upandadam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

34 US plan here with $7 in loyalty + auto pay. 

I'm out the minute my card is charged at a different rate than I agreed to. 

Along with disputes to both agencies and through my CC.

fixin

@umnikke8 wrote:

Boo

@umnikke8 - Wow - your the FIRST one to post here... look how far it has gone.

Boo

fixin

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@Soon-ex-PM-user   but they really appreciate your loyalty.. hahaha

Yes, they definitely do...

fixin

@G_Pomzz - The PM community forum can be wonky at times, check here if your posts are unmoderated. CS_Agents don't do anything with the Unmoderated tab and stuff that should get posted.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected

But hopefully try go on PM Reddit OR even go to the lounge - there is less restrictions for what to post.

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RetiredGuy1 

Yup, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

PM has probably responded to more CCTS complaints in the last month than in the history of the company. 

RetiredGuy1

@G_Pomzz 

How many existing customers leaving is a tangible measurement. But consider the intangible effect. Namely, potential new customers from the other telecoms (tier 1, tier 2, tier 3) and first-time subscribers. Its a competitive market and many people are undecided which way to go. If the deciding factor is the feeling that Telus(PM) can’t be trusted, that could be the deciding factor to stay away. If the backlash were to grow large and loud enough, Telus(PM) might blink and make, at the very least, some meaningful concessions. One thing is certain, without any negative feedback, we might as well line up outside of Telus’ HQ, drop our pants, bend over and grab our ankles…

@G_Pomzz I am going to say that the average plan cost is WAY below $30.  I would say that most of the people that will be leaving are the ones on the $15 plan.  I am sure they have calculated the revenue loss from people leaving versus those who stay and pay the additional $7 a cycle.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

G_Pomzz

Based on all the negative comments regarding the rewards/points debacle. Is it possible that there could be several thousand or more defections to other providers. But if they move to Telus or Koodo, it's not really a loss.

But say 3,000 leave outright then 3,000 x $30/mth avg = $90,000/mth or $1,080,000 year loss. Is that really going to hurt the bottom line of a company with $14 billion in revenue? 

@Getzeby wrote:

Okay thanks for clarifying...I currently have the $25/month plan and get $3 off per month for friend refferals so would I still get the $3off then starting in May but just not the other ones you mentioned?

@Getzeby  after the rewards system change, you will  be paying the full price first, $25, every renewal , then get 1.25 points (5% of $25) plus 3 points (friend referrals) every renewal.   On the anniversary, you will get an extra 10 points

Every time you accumulated 15 points, you can redeem for $15 bill credit

Getzeby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay thanks for clarifying...I currently have the $25/month plan and get $3 off per month for friend refferals so would I still get the $3off then starting in May but just not the other ones you mentioned?

JACJAC

And there's the foundation of my future CCTS complaint. Thanks.

Oakestester

I've tried to post my rebuttal to their CCTS objection three times and it's not posting.... very strange..

Will it be April? (genuinely asking)

Is the change not starting in May, thus many will see it after that?

Have you put in just one support ticket (not that you should have to);  perhaps place a 2nd one.

EDIT:  Respective post since updated, above comments no longer relevant to edited post. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Exactly this. Come May, once people get their first credit card statement, PM is going to be flooded with people seeking customer service, and as we know, PM isn't really prepared for that as of now (I've been waiting since last Wednesday for a CS Agent to answer me). This is when PM's customer service will really be put to the test. They better be prepping for this, because if not, they're going to have even more angry customers on their hands (and more people leaving).

Edit: Typo, wrote April by mistake.

Public_Cust_17

@Soon-ex-PM-user   but they really appreciate your loyalty.. hahaha

Public_Cust_17

@Wolfcore   they'll only fool them until they get the bill unless their bill is huge or they're really bad at math! LOL

Soon-ex-PM-user
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

based on your post, I am assuming that you have only 1 referral - so this translates to 1 point but only if your friend stays.

The $8 monthly reward will translate to very small points.  Assuming that you are on a $34 plan then the reward points of 2.53  ($34*0.05 + $10/12) 

So you will pay the full amount of $34 plus taxes for many months.  And only when you've accumulated 15 points then you can use it - lol assuming if you remember to login to your PM account to use the 15 points or $15 discount in the next bill. 

Is this fun with the new Public Mobile points rewards system? 😂

Public_Cust_17

@Soon-ex-PM-user   weasel words.. I would like an explanation though on what "even more" I can earn on.. so far it's once a year 10 points and 5% of my bill in the future... and that's more how???? It sure isn't more discount and it's not even more ways to earn since the auto-pay aka subscription is being removed.  My future loyalty will very much mimic theirs.. after my April bill auto-pay is a thing of the past as PM themselves may well be unless they change their planned rip-off.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hahah, I know, they're shameless. Even funnier than that, is in their FAQ, where they mention that this change is in order to give us the best possible value (when the reality is that it's objectively giving us less value lmao). Sad thing is, they'll dupe a few people with it, and I guess that's all they care about.

staticcory_0-1711061616274.png

Soon-ex-PM-user
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

1000031605.png

lol how can Public Mobile mentions this with a straight face 'Public Points lets you earn on even more, and gives you the flexibility to spend on what you want'

100 false 

upandadam

Cheers!

I'm saving the CRTC email for the minute they change my bill amount without my consent. 

Public_Cust_17

@upandadam   The CRTC and CCTS but I'm sure you've read that on here many times..  the committee info I found was a little more unknown so that's why I shared my find.  Cheers

upandadam

Thank you for this.  I have emailed.  Anywhere else we can email?

upandadam

That means they are not honouring a thing as they promised they would. 

English. 

upandadam

Yes. It will go up because PM is screwing over customers.

upandadam

Bud...We know, and PM lied that they would never take away the loyalty and grandfathered discount.  They built their community on Loyalty discounts and a brand on that community.

So take a lap and reflect.

@Getzeby 

you won't be losing all $9, you will only loss some depends on how many friends referrals are there in the $9 

PM is retiring the old reward system, and everyone will be migrated on the new Public Points system.  With the new points system, the points will be added to your account every month and the discount will be be applied monthly

Basically the loyalty rewards (maybe $1 to $5 depends on your account) and autopay rewards ($2) will be gone.  You will instead be paying full plan price first and earn points for bill credit.     You will earn 5% back in point of the amount you pay ( you will pay in full first and earn  points), as well as the referral rewards will be pay in point.  Every year on your anniversary, you will earn another 10 points.  Whenever you accumulated 15 points, you can redeem for $15 bill credit and will be used towards the next renewal

Public_Cust_17

You'll lose the $2 autopay and the $1 for each year reward (max $5). With the new rewards system you get 5% of your monthly bill and $10 worth of points once a year. When you've saved up $15 worth you can apply that to $15 off a bill.  So it'll most likely cost you more unless you're paying one big bill.  😕

Friend referral points remain the same... until your friends leave or PM decides to change that too.

Need Help? Let's chat.