Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,424 REPLIES 5,424

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile didn't give me 5GB bonus as the email promised. I was on the $15 plan when I received the email and my plan renewed to the Can-US plan as scheduled on Monday. Yesterday I got a text that I had been gifted 240GB by PM. Now I will lose the bonus if I change plans, I was kind of hoping for the 5GB bonus that's compatible with all plans so I could switch freely. I can't believe how elaborately they have programmed this bonus. I miss the no strings attached add-ons of the past.

Alveeto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not yet. My complaint with CCTS was just filed. I'm waiting for Public Mobile to respond. 

@G_Pomzz wrote:

Screenshot_2024-03-20-21-50-23-357_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

 Okay, so same price as Freedom and Public Mobile, so why switch? 

@G_Pomzz 

Lucky mobile does not offer US roaming.  If that is important to your needs.  

mikasik2

Did we get our rewards back yet?

VMTighe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Interesting that PM censors these forums deleting any posts which speak to the utter contempt for this betrayal. People have been loyal to you PM and now you're going to trample on that goodwill.... CCTS has taken my complaint on, PM has made an initial response, and I plan to take it as far as I can. Similar to others, the program transcended one of 'loyalty' to that of compensation or a contract for building a subscriber base with the offer of a lower cost plan.... the years of tenure bonus is included in that consideration with a long term commitment to this company both personally and with the trust and goodwill spent to bring family and friends over to PM. I'm left with no words but 'disgusting' to describe the greed and betrayal. This is effectively a massive increase to the contract cost of a monthly plan to many people. CCTS has taken it on but they are limited in power (effectively none) -- the CRTC needs to hear from us as well. This isn't just the loss or amendment of a loyalty program - a 'business operation' that PM is justified in changing but rather a significantly larger consideration for the effort and costs many incurred to establish themselves with a lower cost plan. 

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Some excerpts from an article on iphoneincanada.com relating to the telecom CEOs appearing before the Standing Committee on Industry and Technology:

Well, the meeting took place with the House of Commons industry committee on Monday. Instead of showing up in person, the CEOs of the ‘Big 3’ attended virtually, to explain what’s happening with wireless and internet prices, including Bell CEO Mirko Bibic and Darren Entwistle from Telus. Tony Staffieri of Rogers had some internet issues and the committee was unable to hear him; this apparently caused some heckles from MPs (Rogers and internet downtime!).

The meeting was held in response to Rogers’ announcement of an impending average $5 price hike for non-contract wireless customers, sparking widespread debate about the cost of telco services in Canada.

Bibic did not confirm whether Bell would implement similar increases, emphasizing instead the company’s commitment to lowering expenses. Entwistle expressed confidence in future price reductions for consumers, though he did not detail how this was going to happen.

Staffieri faced direct questions about Rogers’ decision to raise prices, especially considering the current affordability crisis. He defended the price increase, explaining the hikes were targeted at customers with older plans and aimed to provide them with more valuable alternative plans.

——————

My comment: Rogers increasing the price of non-contract plans and Telus changing the rewards program (which effectively increases their revenue) at around the same time. Oh, there’s no collusion among the Big 3 (nudge, nudge, give a wink, say no more, say no more)…

Mike-B

Yes, only calling. This is not better for people that have roaming. But if you don't use a lot of data 29$ for 25GB is a pretty good deal. Just posting options.

G_Pomzz

In that PC plan is it just calls from Canada to the USA or free roaming in the USA like Public Mobile?

Free USA roaming is important to me. 

Mike-B

PC Mobile

$29.00/mo

5G

20 GBIncluded Data
25 GBTotal data including auto top-up bonus*
Unlimited Calls Canada-wide and to the US

Canada & International text, picture and video messages from Canada

Call Display, 3-Way Calling, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding

Up to 10% of the value of every Top-Up in PC Optimum™ points

Earn 20,000 PC Optimum™ points after 2 months of service

Mike-B

Not everyone jumped onto that plan. You can also go to PC mobile

$34
.00/mo

5G

50 GBIncluded Data
55 GBTotal data including auto top-up bonus*
Unlimited Calls Canada-wide and to the US

Canada & International text, picture and video messages from Canada

Call Display, 3-Way Calling, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding

Up to 10% of the value of every Top-Up in PC Optimum™ points

Earn 20,000 PC Optimum™ points after 2 months of service

fixin

@Mike-B wrote:

Currently public doesn't offer 5GB of bonus data and USA calling.

@Mike-B - Yeah, but the third tier carriers just got into big data plans about a year ago. Plus I got myself a sweet tea plan for US roaming when it was available. $34 for 50GB Canada - US. Calling also works. Been Rick-Rolling myself on it and always getting the LD charges may apply. 🙂

You can quickly abolish 1/3 of that with the points system with 1000 US LD minutes for 10 points.

Mike-B

Currently public doesn't offer 5GB of bonus data and USA calling.

elitelink98

Disappointed to hear this and, unfortunately, a one-time data add on (that will expire) isn't going to make up for it. I've been a loyal customer for several years and was not happy when the data add-ons were given an expiry date. This just keeps going to show me that Public Mobile isn't interested in retaining long term customers like myself.

G_Pomzz

Screenshot_2024-03-20-21-50-23-357_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

 Okay, so same price as Freedom and Public Mobile, so why switch? 

Mike-B

Lucky mobile thru Costco

Unlimited Canada-wide & US Talk Plan + 50GB at 4G Speeds

Bonus
Get 5 GB of bonus data every month with Automatic Top-Up

https://mobility.costco.ca/en/lucky-mobile-rate-plans/plan/16037/unlimited-canada-wide-us-talk-plan-...

4mpersand

Thanks, but that doesn’t answer most of my questions about the transition itself. It appears that users are being moved to the new system without any of the preexisting transition bonuses. It is also unclear regarding what happens to already consumed bonus data if we downgrade plans during the 150 days: ie if we use 20gb in the first month and downgrade our plan for the remaining 120 days, will we be on the hook for paying for that data we are no longer eligible for, or will it be considered a wash and simply be cut off as of the date of the cheaper plan taking effect?

Korth_

@eyes wrote:

The following is way off topic ...

PS- To Oracles -----Shouldn't this thread be moved to the lounge?

I don't understand. You're asking for your own posts to get moved off-topic?

If we stick with the topic then the fact of the matter is that there are alternatives to Public Mobile. Which already have CRTC-mandated bottom-end plans and prices exactly the same as Public Mobile's. They don't have to bribe us to join them and they don't particularly value those of us who aren't helping to drag their ARPU numbers up. I don't think anyone would gain anything by attempting to negotiate, haggle, bluff, and deceive them. They sell certain things at certain prices, we can choose to buy or not to buy at those prices, we have to take it or leave it and they don't have any reason to lower their prices. There is nothing to gain from trying to grease them because they aren't actually "competing" for anything.

eyes

@J_PM wrote:

Update made to FAQs - 

I still have leftover rewards from the old program that I want to use - do I lose these  rewards?

No, you won’t lose any leftover rewards from the old program. Any credits earned up to May 2024 will remain on your account and be applied to your future bills.

Good to know - thank you.

eyes

Yes of course that's the proper above board of doing things and kudos to you -   Let's face it we the consumers are in charge and everything is negotiated because companies only flourish because of us.  there is no point of negotiating for only a couple of dollars such as what we are now begging PM to please be fair and we are loyal and please please -we'll report you to the CRTC ----  blah blah .....that just won't work because their marketing  team is smart and are counting (bluffing maybe?) that there won't be a major exodus of accounts as I'm certain there won't be. 

@ziggyp31 wrote:

Hi all.

Sorry for what is probably a silly question, but how do I cancel my plan? Do I simply stop paying and it automatically cancels? I do not see the actual option. I am planning to cancel at the end of my billing cycle and am unsure how. I have had Public Mobile forever and have no idea how to simply end my subscription. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

@ziggyp31 

PM changes don't happen in May, so you don't need to make a decision right away. You can do some research to see which options would meet your needs better. 

If you want to keep your phone number, you can port your PM number to another company and that would close your PM account.  Or if you don't want to keep your present number, you can turn off your subscription (turn off preauthorized payments).  Once your account is suspended more than 90 days, you account will be permanently closed and number lost.  

MANAGE SUBSCRIPTION.png

Korth_

@eyes wrote:

Forget asking for a price match - just call mobile plan providers and tell them that you may switch to them if they give you a better deal than you presently have with PM.  Most likely you will get a better deal the amount depends an how good a negotiator and bluffer you are.

Why would you need to negotiate or bluff? You can point them towards Public Mobile's plans page. Or they could find the page themselves. Or you could send them screenshots from your Self-Serve.

You don't need to haggle and deceive and sell things which speak for themselves. Anyone can see the numbers on the screen and decide whether or not they're interested in matching or beating the deal you already have.

eyes

Forget asking for a price match - just call mobile plan providers and tell them that you may switch to them if they give you a better deal than you presently have with PM.  Most likely you will get a better deal the amount depends an how good a negotiator and bluffer you are.  Just realize that you're in charge because they want you more than you need them.  

ziggyp31

Hi all.

Sorry for what is probably a silly question, but how do I cancel my plan? Do I simply stop paying and it automatically cancels? I do not see the actual option. I am planning to cancel at the end of my billing cycle and am unsure how. I have had Public Mobile forever and have no idea how to simply end my subscription. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

eyes

Sorry almost went way off topic.

mc60

Its disappointing that they hamfisted this through despite the backlash.

It seems that most people I know received far less than the 240GB initially mentioned. I only got 5GB. Oh well, brings the termination date closer for all the accounts under my management. My colleagues will be leaving as well.

Public mobile is not even competitive anymore with all the missing features and phone whitelists and system glitches. We live with it due to the price, but not anymore.

Cheers

fixin

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@IanP 

First, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question throughout a life long journey to learn!

From reading forums on sites such as RedFlagDeals and Reddit, I’ve seen people have success in having new activation fees waived and getting free sim cards. With prices so competitive, I doubt you will get cost adjustments and I’ve never heard of a competitor honouring accumulated data so thats pretty much a no-go.

Don’t feel bad. Many, many years ago when I bought my first laptop, after installing Windows from a floppy disk, I spent a long time staring at the keyboard looking for the “any” key to continue 🤣

@RetiredGuy1 - Usually they will waive the fee if they feel generous or for a Win-Back offer.

But haha! That's funny! 🤣

RetiredGuy1

@IanP 

First, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question throughout a life long journey to learn!

From reading forums on sites such as RedFlagDeals and Reddit, I’ve seen people have success in having new activation fees waived and getting free sim cards. With prices so competitive, I doubt you will get cost adjustments and I’ve never heard of a competitor honouring accumulated data so thats pretty much a no-go.

Don’t feel bad. Many, many years ago when I bought my first laptop, after installing Windows from a floppy disk, I spent a long time staring at the keyboard looking for the “any” key to continue 🤣

HI @IanP 

do you mean if PM price matches other?  No, they don't

if you mean if anyone price match PM, possible.  Or more like they might have similar price or able to give you a one time credit/discount

Need Help? Let's chat.