Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,022 REPLIES 5,022

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes of course that's the proper above board of doing things and kudos to you -   Let's face it we the consumers are in charge and everything is negotiated because companies only flourish because of us.  there is no point of negotiating for only a couple of dollars such as what we are now begging PM to please be fair and we are loyal and please please -we'll report you to the CRTC ----  blah blah .....that just won't work because their marketing  team is smart and are counting (bluffing maybe?) that there won't be a major exodus of accounts as I'm certain there won't be. 

@ziggyp31 wrote:

Hi all.

Sorry for what is probably a silly question, but how do I cancel my plan? Do I simply stop paying and it automatically cancels? I do not see the actual option. I am planning to cancel at the end of my billing cycle and am unsure how. I have had Public Mobile forever and have no idea how to simply end my subscription. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

@ziggyp31 

PM changes don't happen in May, so you don't need to make a decision right away. You can do some research to see which options would meet your needs better. 

If you want to keep your phone number, you can port your PM number to another company and that would close your PM account.  Or if you don't want to keep your present number, you can turn off your subscription (turn off preauthorized payments).  Once your account is suspended more than 90 days, you account will be permanently closed and number lost.  

MANAGE SUBSCRIPTION.png

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@eyes wrote:

Forget asking for a price match - just call mobile plan providers and tell them that you may switch to them if they give you a better deal than you presently have with PM.  Most likely you will get a better deal the amount depends an how good a negotiator and bluffer you are.

Why would you need to negotiate or bluff? You can point them towards Public Mobile's plans page. Or they could find the page themselves. Or you could send them screenshots from your Self-Serve.

You don't need to haggle and deceive and sell things which speak for themselves. Anyone can see the numbers on the screen and decide whether or not they're interested in matching or beating the deal you already have.

eyes

Forget asking for a price match - just call mobile plan providers and tell them that you may switch to them if they give you a better deal than you presently have with PM.  Most likely you will get a better deal the amount depends an how good a negotiator and bluffer you are.  Just realize that you're in charge because they want you more than you need them.  

ziggyp31
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all.

Sorry for what is probably a silly question, but how do I cancel my plan? Do I simply stop paying and it automatically cancels? I do not see the actual option. I am planning to cancel at the end of my billing cycle and am unsure how. I have had Public Mobile forever and have no idea how to simply end my subscription. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

eyes

Sorry almost went way off topic.

mc60
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Its disappointing that they hamfisted this through despite the backlash.

It seems that most people I know received far less than the 240GB initially mentioned. I only got 5GB. Oh well, brings the termination date closer for all the accounts under my management. My colleagues will be leaving as well.

Public mobile is not even competitive anymore with all the missing features and phone whitelists and system glitches. We live with it due to the price, but not anymore.

Cheers

fixin

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@IanP 

First, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question throughout a life long journey to learn!

From reading forums on sites such as RedFlagDeals and Reddit, I’ve seen people have success in having new activation fees waived and getting free sim cards. With prices so competitive, I doubt you will get cost adjustments and I’ve never heard of a competitor honouring accumulated data so thats pretty much a no-go.

Don’t feel bad. Many, many years ago when I bought my first laptop, after installing Windows from a floppy disk, I spent a long time staring at the keyboard looking for the “any” key to continue 🤣

@RetiredGuy1 - Usually they will waive the fee if they feel generous or for a Win-Back offer.

But haha! That's funny! 🤣

RetiredGuy1

@IanP 

First, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question throughout a life long journey to learn!

From reading forums on sites such as RedFlagDeals and Reddit, I’ve seen people have success in having new activation fees waived and getting free sim cards. With prices so competitive, I doubt you will get cost adjustments and I’ve never heard of a competitor honouring accumulated data so thats pretty much a no-go.

Don’t feel bad. Many, many years ago when I bought my first laptop, after installing Windows from a floppy disk, I spent a long time staring at the keyboard looking for the “any” key to continue 🤣

HI @IanP 

do you mean if PM price matches other?  No, they don't

if you mean if anyone price match PM, possible.  Or more like they might have similar price or able to give you a one time credit/discount

IanP

I was always told there was no such thing as a stupid question!

But here is one anyway.

Does anyone know if any competitor price matches like stores do? Cost and accumulated data bonuses?

Have 270 gb , wife has 290gb.

I know know, I am an idiot for asking but maybe you got a chuckle out of it. A bit of light hearted humor to a depressing subject 😉

Public_Cust_17

@JohnDoe3  the price I've paid since last March on my 5 year anniversary has been exactly that, $8 +tax (I have no referrals because most people want someone to talk to if they're having issues). 

As for that package being being shown to be sustained package.. I'm sure PM will just say they were losing money on it when rewards were applied.

Public_Cust_17

@Robbwell  I switched down to that plan a long time ago and when I did I paid an extra $5 for 500 minutes to use as a backup in case my outgoing minutes did exceed 100 minutes in a month. Incoming minutes are free on that plan so as long as you're good for accumulated data.. this plan can work quite easily for someone.  Cheers

PCIrish

I would agree with that thought, as well.  To me, that's the only rationale that makes sense of what they've done to "honour" their loyal subjects.

@Stelawrat wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Stelawrat wrote:

@PrettyFly wrote:

That's what I thought as well. I imagine that VoLTE whitelist isn't current & @PrettyFly's phone might actually be VoLTE accessible with PM. Highlighting for the powers that be at PM. 

Re: phones not listed on whitelists in general: this is a grey area for me, so I'm not advocating either way. I tend to follow the rules, 😐 so trying to bypass the norm, isn't something I'd be comfortable messing around with, not to mention, I'm not tech savvy enough to be messing around anyway! 😛 But I realize that there are lots of people, who are more than capable & @PrettyFly might be one of them, if they decide to remain with PM. 

Thank you @wetcoaster!  & a nod to @fixin   

"Follow the rules"?? "Bypassing the norm"?? Wowza! So limiting your choice to 5 manufacturers and something like less than 3 dozen acceptable devices spanning three years or so, is great and should be the rule? Incidentially all whitelisted devices are/were upper mid-range pricing and up. So lets all follow the norm and make sure that nobody spends less than a four figure amount on their next phone? Preferably planned obsolatism is bricking those devices in 14-18 months too? 

PM is pure BYOD these days. Whitelisting is designed to keep afffordable phones from other manufacturers, or, heaven forbid, someone using an international version, away. It is anti-competitive behavior that IMHO is not ok at any provider but is outright ridiculous for a BYOD-only provider.

It should be really simple: If the phone has the proper technology (ie it's VoLTE capable) let it use it on the network (ie connect to VoLTE). Put a disclaimer on the compatibility list indicating that PM is not able to help troubleshoot problems on non-mainstream devices. 

RetiredGuy1

@JohnDoe3 

From my research online, the sustainabilty of the current PM business model is difficult to determine (if not impossible unless you’re a Telus insider) because Telus annual reports don’t breakdown financial data at the flanker brand levels. They’re all rolled up into Telus-level financial statements.

It is quite possible (or likely) that, at Telus’ level - PM was a loss leader strategy which has now served its purpose. Otherwise, why change the rewards model and force legacy subscribers to either pay more for the plan they already have or leave to a competitor? For the latter its quite apparent - they don’t care. 

Please understand - I’m not defending Telus whatsoever but just expressing what I believe may be their motive behind the changes. Given PM is a 3rd-tier, no-frills telecom, their clientele likely consists of a fair portion of those “working hard to join the middle class”. Unfortunately, today that group is usually the most to suffer when things change.

4mpersand

I submitted a ticket. I still don’t understand why Public can’t make the contents of an email a public post on their website for ease of access given so many others are also missing key details regarding this transition. Whether or not people are in favour of the change, this is terrible customer service.

G_Pomzz

I received a response from CCTS with regards to my complaint against PM over losing my rewards and being forced to adopt the points system. The attached screenshot is actually PM's rebuttal to my complaint. Now I just wait & see if CCTS agrees with me or PM. I do not expect it to go in my favor. It's more about formally showing a disdain for their arbitrary changes. If PM has to answer to thousands of these complaints, they may "possibly" (but unlikely) as good corporate citizen, relent and let long term customers choose the rewards program they want. 

Screenshot_2024-03-20-13-19-52-663_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg

eyes

@JohnDoe3 wrote:

Just a thought... PM basically set the case for saying "it's viable to sustain a customer (no net loss) under the circumstances established through auto-pay and loyalty, ignoring potential for referral discounts".

Basically, under the old plan, as a customer, if I did absolutely nothing but set up auto-pay on the $15 plan (matched specs from CRTC) (also explains why every big-3 flanker had almost identical deals at the same time), then the defacto actual monthly price would settle at $15-2-5 = $8/month.

Given that it's demonstrably shown via the prior existence of the offer that such was a sustained package. Then why not have a ton of people petition the CRTC to drop the maximum on the same terms to $8/m, and cite the automatic terms provided by PM as the proof of concept that it's a sustainable model for the type of consumer categorized by the post-paid occasional user.

Makes sense but how did you get the additional $5 discount?  Was this an assumption of having the account for 5 years? If yes then if one had an account for 2 years the formula would be $15-($2+$2)=$11 

ACTUALLY .... maybe we don't even need a mobile plan.    I had disabled auto pay on my wife's PM account that is on the point system. I did forget about this and didn't make payments for 2 months and just this morning  made a payment. She was and still is completely oblivious that by my neglect that I almost lost her PM account.  She uses her phone daily sending texts, banking, etc. ..... but all by the iPhones auto switching to WIFI at home and when she visits friends etc. I now also realize that we don't even need our landline because we routinely make wifi phone calls using GOOGLE home by for example just saying "hey Google call mom".  As far as having a cell phone for security if on the road - we don't even need a mobile account for that because as far as I've been told 911 calls are free.  Free WIFI is now just about everywhere -at malls -- restaurants etc.   Sooooooo just maybe that has been realized by the rest of the world and that is why outside North America plans are much less expensive. 

JohnDoe3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just a thought... PM basically set the case for saying "it's viable to sustain a customer (no net loss) under the circumstances established through auto-pay and loyalty, ignoring potential for referral discounts".

Basically, under the old plan, as a customer, if I did absolutely nothing but set up auto-pay on the $15 plan (matched specs from CRTC) (also explains why every big-3 flanker had almost identical deals at the same time), then the defacto actual monthly price would settle at $15-2-5 = $8/month.

Given that it's demonstrably shown via the prior existence of the offer that such was a sustained package. Then why not have a ton of people petition the CRTC to drop the maximum on the same terms to $8/m, and cite the automatic terms provided by PM as the proof of concept that it's a sustainable model for the type of consumer categorized by the post-paid occasional user.

eyes

Thank you for doing a good job moderating this and other posts. Are removed posts completely deleted or can they be still accessed somehow in order to perhaps revise them and re-post them?

eyes

In response to PM free data gift — 

eyes_1-1710953976474.png

With appreciation I would like to reciprocate with a gift of all the air they can breathe completely free.

Soon-ex-PM-user
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

lol gift of free tap water storing in your own bucket. 

eyes

@IanP wrote:

I have an accumulated data of bonus , plan and bonus totaling 270gb.

I use 1 gb approx a month.

What to do with it?

So it seems that about after 5 months PM will delete 265 GB of your data.  So much for the free thank you gift.

eyes_0-1710953847872.png

@4mpersand wrote:

Your linked FAQ says that everyone impacted by the change will have received an email by March 12th. I am on the old rewards program and have not received an email as of March 20th. When should I expect this to be resolved?

HI @4mpersand 

you got any text instead?

but anyway, ask agent.  Please submit a ticket with CS Agent using this Chatbot link:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type the question "Submit ticket", Then click the following in order: "Contact Us" ,  "Other",  "Log In".  
If any issue with ticket submission, you can  submit by direct message:  
      https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437        

eyes

@4mpersand wrote:

Your linked FAQ says that everyone impacted by the change will have received an email by March 12th. I am on the old rewards program and have not received an email as of March 20th. When should I expect this to be resolved?

Just got mine 

Matty1234

It's on the Freedom network so it doesn't work for everyone, if you live in a city then you're fine (I'm in Victoria so I'm covered), hopefully their 6 month beta pricing goes for another couple of months. 

4mpersand

Need Help? Let's chat.