Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,017 REPLIES 5,017

maurelle
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@eyes wrote:

@Robbwell wrote:

If you now have too much data accumulated, consider downgrading your plan until you run out. There is a nice plan for $15 if you don't need many outgoing minutes.

Be careful ..........if you downgrade your plan after receiving the free data you will lose it all. I haven't received my free data yet so  I have downgraded my plan realizing that I would not get the full data. Now I wonder if my free data would remain if at a later date I again upgrade my plan.

Can't recall seeing real life reports, but the T&C only mentions "switching to a lower value plan", so if they do take it away upon upgrading, you'd have a solid base to ask for it back, I assume.

We have one account which will switch laterally ($34/40GB unlimited to $34/50GB unlimited) on renewal next week. We'll see if the 240GB drop off. Mind you, can't use it on these plans anyway, so what's the point, really?

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Robbwell wrote:

If you now have too much data accumulated, consider downgrading your plan until you run out. There is a nice plan for $15 if you don't need many outgoing minutes.

Be careful ..........if you downgrade your plan after receiving the free data you will lose it all. I haven't received my free data yet so  I have downgraded my plan realizing that I would not get the full data. Now I wonder if my free data would remain if at a later date I again upgrade my plan.

Just putting this out there for consideration.

240GB on $30 + plans

30GB on $20 to $29 plans.

5GB on $15  plans,

maurelle

@Robbwell wrote:

Careful. As per T&C for the loyalty bonus data, and backed up by reports in the community, you'll lose the expiring data add-on (240GB on plans >$30, 30GB on >$20, 5GB on $15/$13 plans, I think?), if you downgrade after the add-on has been added to your account.

HI @Robbwell 

it said on the FAQ, downgrading the plan will loss the migration bonus data 

Robbwell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Cybershot

I remember when I first got with PM there were people saying they had just gotten dropped out of the then rewards program due to some changes. Here we go again. Seems like a game they play. You are correct tho.  Lots of providers out there will gladly take my money. 

HI @Slady 

but you won't loss your referrals, you will still get that

Slady
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Paying less per moth for loyalty and referrals was the only reason I stayed with PM. I don't care about points nor I care how now I will have to login into my account and apply those to have some lesser rebate. Will def look elsewhere if PM cuts my current rebate.

marcnoel

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't be bothered.  My plan will re-new shortly to the 50 GB again.  I can wait.

It is unfortunate that it seems, with some individuals working for the company, they forget that we are all human beings first.  How would they like to be on the receiving end of all this?  It has been said before that rules are made by men, and rules can be changed by men.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Korth_ 

let's hope PM has some very good deals coming up

So, you have some friend referrals that still give you give discount  (Points) every month?

I can't imagine Public Mobile (Telus) offering any new deals which will be compelling enough to keep me interested. Since the reason I'd leave would be their quiet treachery, their way of pulling the rug out before forcing the final shove towards their new business model. I'm interested in a reliable, predictable, trustworthy provider - and Public Mobile (Telus) now has enough ugly dirt on its face that it'll take a lot for them to impress me, to keep me around. I'm not interested in a provider which has a history of walking loyal customers into trap doors after dark.

My referrals all drifted away in recent years. The simple truth is that they could (and did) get better deals at other places, Public Mobile's referral system just wasn't good enough to keep them around. While Public Mobile's Rewards were enough to keep me around even without any Referral components - but the Rewards are going so I'll be going, too. It's likely I'll get referred somewhere else by one of my ex-referrals, lol, and it's equally likely that I'll get a better deal out of it there than I would get by sticking around here.

I'm interested in seeing where this is all going to go. It looks foregone, oh well ... but it's not utterly impossible that things'll get better since Public Mobile has surprised us with pleasant news before.

RetiredGuy1

@eyes I agree with you. I’ve posted more than once I’m not interested in the 3G plans and the example I used was comparing 5G to 4G plans. If your phone is not 5G enabled then switching from a 5G to a 4G is not a downgrade for that person

RetiredGuy1

@Korth_ 

From what I’ve read over the last 2 weeks, I wouldn’t necessarily describe the overall sentiment here as “angry” as thats a strong word. Venting “frustration” is more like it. The thread has gone off the rails at times but I attribute that to a handful of posters who I suspect have some history and are sniping at each other (I’m speculating as although I’m not a new subscriber, I am a new poster). The majority of the posts appear to me to be made with the intent to voice frustration, illustrate the heavy-handed approach being taken by PM, offering suggested compromises, and sharing info (ie pros and cons of competitor telecoms) for those considering leaving. I wish you all the best in whatever action you do decide to take. Cheers

HI @marcnoel 

ask agent to apply a 5GB bonus for you, $15 plan will get 5GB.  We saw people supposed to get 240GB as well, and he downgraded to $15 before the bonus came and then he saw a 5GB added instead

marcnoel

As previously stated, when I was notified about the 240 GB loyalty bonus, I downgraded both my wife's and my plans to $ 15.00 each, as we had both been on 50 GB/unlimited throttled, and wouldn't be able to use the bonus.  The fine print said you would lose the bonus if you downgraded, but it sounded like it would happen AFTER you got the data, so I did it beforehand.  I got my bonus shortly after, but then it was removed the next day.  I had to switch my wife back to a 50 GB plan because she was going out of town, so I just left her on it.  Sure enough, she got the 240 today, and can't use it.  I'm still on the $ 15.00 until next renewal, don't have the bonus, and am gradually using up my previously received data bonuses.  What a nightmare.

eyes

Yes of course if one downgrades their plan , the cost would be less. ——- However the key word here is DOWNGRADE not taking into account the data speed downgrade from 5G to 4G or even the snail pace 3G.  
For those that use their phones mainly for voice calls and maybe occasional emails and texting it would be foolish to pay for more than  the $15 plan. However as I and others that rely on their phone to do their banking, monitor credit cards, use Apple Pay, google search, shopping, look up weather etc. I’m sure you get my point the 3G limited data plan just won’t do. 

IanP

Too bad, thanks

@IanP wrote:

I have just received my complementary 240gb of data. This expires in 149 days. When May comes and the loyalty decision is finalized in PM Cavour and not legacy holders is there a way to donate data to a charity, or transfer to someone who will use it?

HI @IanP 

sorry, data addon cannot be transferred to another account 😞

for many of us, probably we will  just "waste" it with video streaming or speed test

IanP

I have just received my complementary 240gb of data. This expires in 149 days. When May comes and the loyalty decision is finalized in PM Cavour and not legacy holders is there a way to donate data to a charity, or transfer to someone who will use it?

HI @Korth_ 

let's hope PM has some very good deals coming up

So, you have some friend referrals that still give you give discount  (Points) every month?

Korth_

@Michael6666 wrote:

I just unsubscribed from everything community related. 

I'll be back one last time in may before my renewal/port to make sure there wasn't a change in plans by Telus.

Good service provider shopping to everyone.

I was initially inclined to be a kneejerk reactionary.

But I've decided to wait it out. Public Mobile (Telus) has broken the trust *again* but they still have a chance to redeem themselves and keep my business. And I do get another month of Rewards then another month to spend/waste all my stupid Points™.

I would (likely will) exit gracefully and with dignity, say goodbye to some of the familiar names I've interacted with here over the last nine years, politely request my account gets deleted before I logoff forever. I wouldn't allow myself to get emotionally provoked even if Public Mobile (Telus) chooses to conduct its business in an insulting, rude, selfish, deceptive, unethical way. It's just a $$ monthly phone bill - and there's plenty of non-Telus "competitors" eager to take my $$ monthly payment - if I wanted to get angry then I have plenty of better things I could let myself get angry about.

Michael6666

I just unsubscribed from everything community related. 

I'll be back one last time in may before my renewal/port to make sure there wasn't a change in plans by Telus.

Good service provider shopping to everyone.

Stelawrat

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Stelawrat wrote:

@PrettyFly wrote:

So let me get this straight.. I have a VoLTE capable device that would have it activated on Koodo or Telus, but not PM, and PM is raising prices on me? Cool. Guess I'll be porting out to someone who offers VoLTE sometime this year once I use up my addons, and I don't mean the time-limited data "gift". It should have been permanent data, not a "few months" to use it.

Re: the phones whitelisted here: How to use Public Mobile VoLTE | Help Articles | Public Mobile

Can anyone advise if that whitelist is up to date, as it's a year old now. 

Also, for those whose phone isn't on that list, from what I've read online, you may still be able to access VoLTE. 

The whitelist is not up-to-date, as far as I can tell those are all 2023 or older models - you are not telling me that we wouldn't have seen the outcries in the community from people on the latest and greatest iPhone 15 and Samsung S24 if they couldn't at least access VoLTE?? Someone else confirm this, but I'm quite sure that the newest Canadian version iPhones, Samsung phones and Pixels are probably supported.

While some people have been able to hang on to VoLTE on unlisted devices (I saw a Blackberry Key2 mentioned, but don't remember who posted about it), I'd go with the general rule that, if it's not on the list you will not get VoLTE to begin with, or you are getting VoLTE until the PM system detects that the SIM is in an "unauthorized" device and cuts VoLTE support to the device. 

(I've mentioned this many times: My Umidigi Bison's VoLTE worked flawlessly when VoLTE was first enabled on my account. A couple of months later PM removed it, and all troubleshooting didn't get it back on that phone. My Freedom SIM has delivered VoLTE (and VoWiFi) on the Bison without a hitch. And my PM SIM gets VoLTE in my friend's Pixel 6a...)

That's what I thought as well. I imagine that VoLTE whitelist isn't current & @PrettyFly's phone might actually be VoLTE accessible with PM. Highlighting for the powers that be at PM. 

Re: phones not listed on whitelists in general: this is a grey area for me, so I'm not advocating either way. I tend to follow the rules, 😐 so trying to bypass the norm, isn't something I'd be comfortable messing around with, not to mention, I'm not tech savvy enough to be messing around anyway! 😛 But I realize that there are lots of people, who are more than capable & @PrettyFly might be one of them, if they decide to remain with PM. 

Thank you @wetcoaster!  & a nod to @fixin   

JDBlue1966

All they had to do was grandfather everyone into the new points system (we keep our loyalty rewards). Then, if needed, put up the monthly rates a dollar a year. Think most could live with that. Instead, they just basically shaft every loyal customer. Well, I’m also going to get another provider. Without my current $7 rewards, there are lots out there who compare, or are slightly better than what I have now. 

Cybershot

At the end of the day I feel like I'm getting ripped off after being a loyal customer. I will vote with MY money and make nessary changes including changing providers. I've also removed my referral link on my social media pages. I will not be bullied by big corporate. Bye 

Lolo_1234

Just a note for those looking for a new plan, there is a new plan offered if you are Lucky enough to have a Quebec number (5 gb/$22), grab it while it's there! If too many of my referrals are leaving PM I will definitively switch to this plan... (I now have PM's 4 gb/$24).

RetiredGuy1

When looking just at plan price, consider the impact of the change in rewards programs. Note the large gap in data allotment between the $34 50 GB plan (likely the most popular of the 5G plans) and the closest downgrade of the $29 20 GB plan (for those who consider 50 GB way more than they need). At first glance, a naive subscriber might say “hey, if I’m losing my loyalty rewards, screw PM, I’m downgrading my plan to save $5 a month so $60 savings a year for a plan better suited to my needs!”

Using the popular profile of an old rewards subscriber ($2 AP and $5 loyalty):

$34 - $7 = $27 per month x 12 = $324.00 revenue for PM over a year

Downgrading to the $29 plan, under the new rewards program, that same subscriber:

$29 per month x 12 = $348 - (5% or $17.40 + $10) = $320.60 revenue for PM per year

So, with the switch to the new rewards program, you’re basically paying the same annually. This is the context for my previous posts when I suggested, in some cases, plan prices were not effectively coming down. Its smoke and mirrors and no coincidence.

For the $24 plan, the actual difference is $60.40 instead of what appears to be $120 less per year.

Korth_

@fixin wrote:
After that you CAN do a CCTS complaint all you want!

I know you mean well.

But this is not a matter of simply clicking through step-by-step instructions in a walkthrough strategy guide to defeat a difficult boss monster.

If you treat the matter flippantly then your complaint will get dismissed. If you don't make an actual effort then your complaint won't be given any more attention than a routine fire-and-forget email response. The CCTS is in the business of arbitrating and resolving complaints, the CCTS is not in the business of wasting time following through on every random copypasta petition which is sent to them.

Follow CCTS rules when you're invoking CCTS intervention. Just like you would follow business protocols in a business meeting, police procedures in a police station, legal orders in a court of law, etc.

Don't circumvent the rules and just copy-paste through the forms then type your angry one-liner in the final box unless you want the CCTS to throw your complaint into their trash bin without any kind of serious consideration.

[Edit: The reason I say all this is not to discourage people from registering complaints. But to encourage complaints which are valid and meaningful. Just flooding the CCTS with garbage is going to make them ignore the spam and roll their eyes at yet another angry rant from an ex-customer of their favourite unpopular Telus subsidiary. But forcing them to actually read through real complaints will focus their attentions and investigations onto real customer perceptions. They can't fire shots unless you provide the bullets. And they have dismissed quantity without quality before.]

fixin

@bm_too wrote:

This isn't very good news.  The points program is not as good as the rewards program for my plan as my costs will be going up about 35%.

@bm_too - Many... Many people are displeased by this move by PM. ONE way is to file a CCTS complaint about this issue

• FIRST contact CS_Agent for help, most likely no resolution other than removing from the points and no legacy rewards

⬇️ Click the link for an Agent * ⬇️

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/xYpc_I

If the link above doesn’t work, please go here to create a ticket to CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

* - CS_Agent will typically get back to you within 48 hours.  You will be required to login to your Public Mobile Community Account to contact CS_Agent. Once you are finished making the ticket with CS_Agent, please ensure that you monitor for an agent because they may notify you asking for some information via Private Message, in your mailbox by clicking this link here: Messages

• After that you CAN do a CCTS complaint all you want!

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

NOTE: People have gotten confused by the "Contract" part of it. Please ignore the field.

bm_too
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This isn't very good news.  The points program is not as good as the rewards program for my plan as my costs will be going up about 35%.

@Stelawrat wrote:

@PrettyFly wrote:

So let me get this straight.. I have a VoLTE capable device that would have it activated on Koodo or Telus, but not PM, and PM is raising prices on me? Cool. Guess I'll be porting out to someone who offers VoLTE sometime this year once I use up my addons, and I don't mean the time-limited data "gift". It should have been permanent data, not a "few months" to use it.

Re: the phones whitelisted here: How to use Public Mobile VoLTE | Help Articles | Public Mobile

Can anyone advise if that whitelist is up to date, as it's a year old now. 

Also, for those whose phone isn't on that list, from what I've read online, you may still be able to access VoLTE. 

The whitelist is not up-to-date, as far as I can tell those are all 2023 or older models - you are not telling me that we wouldn't have seen the outcries in the community from people on the latest and greatest iPhone 15 and Samsung S24 if they couldn't at least access VoLTE?? Someone else confirm this, but I'm quite sure that the newest Canadian version iPhones, Samsung phones and Pixels are probably supported.

While some people have been able to hang on to VoLTE on unlisted devices (I saw a Blackberry Key2 mentioned, but don't remember who posted about it), I'd go with the general rule that, if it's not on the list you will not get VoLTE to begin with, or you are getting VoLTE until the PM system detects that the SIM is in an "unauthorized" device and cuts VoLTE support to the device. 

(I've mentioned this many times: My Umidigi Bison's VoLTE worked flawlessly when VoLTE was first enabled on my account. A couple of months later PM removed it, and all troubleshooting didn't get it back on that phone. My Freedom SIM has delivered VoLTE (and VoWiFi) on the Bison without a hitch. And my PM SIM gets VoLTE in my friend's Pixel 6a...)

Need Help? Let's chat.