Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,021 REPLIES 5,021

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don’t understand placing any focus on who is posting and how often. Its a community forum open to all. Some subscribers may not be aware of the forum and/or this thread. Some simply couldn’t be bothered before the announcement but now feel compelled to do so. Some couldn’t be bothered in either case. Some are shy. It is what it is

JDBlue1966
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just being curious. How do you know who done them, and how many posts have been? 

Public_Cust_17

@IanP   you've used essentially no data.. The $15 plan comes with 250 mb/month and you've only used 3.93 mb so far for the month.  The only thing with the $15 plan is you're restricted to 100 outgoing minutes a month (unlimited incoming). You're usage profile is pretty much like mine and it's why I switched my plan down to the cheaper one and at the same time purchased a 500 extra outgoing minutes add-on for $5 to cover my butt in case I ran over the 100 minutes.  Something to consider for you as speed really wouldn't be an issue for data if you're not using any.  Cheers  🙂

eyes

Thanks for clarifying I had no idea that only a very small percentage of us seem to care if we’re switched to the point system. Ohhh well no wonder PM is not obliging us. - 

@eyes wrote:

Wow … only 20 to 40 persons that obviously includes me have posted more than 3000 times ??? Are you sure?

@eyes 

Yes, the top 20 to 40 persons dominate this thread.

While there are 3071 replies,  the  top first couple top posters (excluding Oracles) have 163, 116, 95 replies and you alone have posted 59 times.  There are no more than 750 unique members participated in this thread

eyes

Are you saying that they should mimic other providers such as Bell mobility? 
Not sure if I understand this correctly but BELL shows 5G speeds much higher than the 250 mbps max PM speed . HOWEVER because of this PM disrespectful treatment I have downgraded my PM plan down to the $15 plan ( just in time to get the 5gb extra data) and signed up for a BELL 5G plan —- I have a dual sim iPhone and HOWEVER AGAIN have not noticed any speed difference. Cut and pasting below BELL’s 5G speed claim. 
Our 5G and 5G+ enable theoretical peak download speed of up to 1.7 Gbps* in cities, towns and communities across Canada for an incredible mobile experience (average expected speeds between 89–705 Mbps).

eyes

Wow … only 20 to 40 persons that obviously includes me have posted more than 3000 times ??? Are you sure?

Hordy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I wish to go on record that I am very upset with changes made to Rewards.  It’s a money grab by a big telecom. 

IanP

Not sure if I am your typica

1000006122.jpg

 only used less than 1/2 gb on 30 gb plan in just about 20 days. What use is another 240 gb bonus. Already have multiple bonus data and mins I will probably. Never use. Maybe PM could come up with several options to satisfy the legacy unrest. I personally have no issues with quality, price and reliability. It was my choice to oversubscribed to data but as you can see I really could downgrade if I had to.

Community in general is awesome

l user.

RetiredGuy1

IMG_0324.jpeg

eyes

Maybe just leave the thousands of comments  alone and at the very least let us vent our displeasure . -the message is clear that the overwhelming majority of long time members feel cheated with this disrespectful  treatment. Let’s face it the extra revenue PM would gain even if none of us switched to other providers is very negligible.  So who in their  wisdom thought this up???? 
I would imagine that just one of their  PM  television advertisement  cost them more then what they will possibly gain from this switching us to the point system.  Wouldn’t it? 
Hey — up to now weren’t we free advertising for PM? 

eyes

Thank you for pointing this out - 

@Jeri_elle wrote:

I think I have used this forum once since I signed up years ago so forgive me if I get it wrong. I haven't switched to points on my own. In order to own points I have to refer friends or something ? I have no friends & I rarely use all my data. I am a simple creature who really only uses the phone when I have to. Can I just keep the plan I am on & lose my discount ? I am sure I could find the answer in one of the thirty pages I have run across but I am overwhelmed. I suddenly ended up on a page where everyone was arguing about eachother . Will my plan change please ? I am peaceful.

HI @Jeri_elle 

you will stay in your plan.

After you moved to the Public Points system, you will have to pay the full amount every renewal and get the "discount" back in points.  After you collect 15 points, you can then exchange for $15 bill credit

Referral rewards stay the same, but in points

Autopay and loyalty rewards will be gone , for all of us, it will be between $5 to $7 

But you get 5% back in points and another 10 points for anniversary 

RetiredGuy1

@Public_Cust_17 

Agreed, I’m the same profile as you. I’m content with my current phone which is not 5G-enabled. I’m on wifi the vast majority of time and only need a few GBs per month. Right now, PM offers 9 plans. 5 are 5G with at least 50 GB and start at $34. All of these are over-subcribing for me. 2 are 3G wth 1GB or less and are not enough for me. The plans suited for legacy reward program subscribers such as you and I are the remaining 2 4G plans. Of course, they’re the new activation only plans. Coincidence? As the Brits would say “not bloody likely”. They know many of us would settle for the 4G plans but force us onto the 5G plans. This scenario describes what I was (albeit, in a round about way) of earlier posting that plan prices are not coming down. I meant not “effectively” coming down by the strategy of pushing subscribers into over-subscribing with higher priced plans.

Cybershot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There goes my affordable cell plan

Public_Cust_17

"ie the current plan felt like there wasn't enough data on it"

@wetcoasterthis is my situation and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.. being on WiFi approx 90% of the time the extra data does basically nothing for me. I actually started with PM on a higher priced plan and tracked my usage then right-sized to a lower cost plan that better fit my usage. When the $15 plan came out I dropped to it because I'm not a heavy mobile user and preferred to save money on a plan that did everything I needed it to.  The savings were the biggest plus and as a loyal customer for 6 years I feel like I "did my time" to earn it. Expecting me to pay more again for the same thing I already have is insulting and I'll no longer be loyal since there's very little incentive to be.

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@eyes wrote:

Hey @J_PM as is obvious by the  responses to your announcement that reward accounts will be switched to point accounts has made many very unhappy.

As far as I can tell, you have not voiced a response to any of the postings. Perhaps you would be nice enough to bring all this discontentment to the attention of PM management.

@eyes that is what J_PM has been doing.  This thread is being monitored and information is being taken back to the team.  With no response I would take that as they are moving forward with the original plan and have not changed their mind.  I think if they start posting that is when we would hear if there was any change in the plan.

@ShawnC13 . Good to know J-PM is taking information to the team (I presume that means the PM management team). I have 2 reactions to that - one serious and one in jest.

As a serious suggestion, I wonder if J-PM would consider providing a brief synopsis (either directly or via the Oracles) of the “themes” of the feedback that has been brought forward? Part of the frustration people are feeling is that a bombshell announcement was made 2 weeks ago and since that time…crickets. It doesn’t have to be voluminous or detailed but just to provide some degree of reassurance that our voices are being heard. It could be pinned at the top of the thread. That pinned info would no doubt be appreciated by casual or first-time viewers in this thread as nobody is going to be inclined to read through 3,000 posts at this point.

On a light-hearted note, if, by remote chance, my post about a dream involving Darren Entwistle was forwarded, please make sure he gets the message that was my lame attempt at satire. I’d hate to go use my phone in an emergency only to find out my PM account has been cancelled 😂

@wetcoaster very very true, I would say most users are over subscribed (myself included).  Coming from a $40/4GB plan that was an incredible deal when I started I have been brainwashed to stick to around that price point but I am getting so much more, Canada US calling and data, compared to just Provincial calling on my original plan.  I have been hot spotting for friends and streaming a lot more now lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RetiredGuy1 your second point isn't comparing the same things though.  The price did go up but so did the data bucket.  So it is more for more.  In my example it was $34/50 GB or $0.68 per GB the $39/60GB is actually $0.65 per GB so again the price per unit did go down.

The price per unit only comes down if you use up the whole data bucket.

If you only use 20GB, it's $1.7/GB on the $34 plan, $1.95/GB on the $39plan. 

Yes, I'm also giving in to FOMO and will change to a plan that has the same price and offers me more. But I will not be changing to a plan that is more expensive just because the  $/GB looks better, unless I know that I will actually use all the data on it (ie the current plan felt like there wasn't enough data on it). Offer me a plan that costs less and gives me the same or more and I'll be all over it.

@Jeri_elle  yes you can keep your plan no worries , you will just get 10 points back each year and 5% back in points in your plan spend . And once you have 15 points in the rewards portal you can redeem $15 off you bill . Friend referrals is best way for points and the community you can earn them too . This will effectively cost you around $50 more a year going forward come may 2024 .but if you want to earn points in community this is done 

By participating , reading and helping others with questions . And learning and sharing and good things will happen 

ranked chart here 

Handy1_0-1710875792627.png

Public_Cust_17

@Jeri_elle  your plan should remain the same. You'll lose the auto-pay reward and any years of loyalty rewards you may have accumulated.  You'll receive 5% of your bill and a yearly reward worth $10 that you can apply to your bill once you've accumulated $15 worth of rewards on the new rewards system.  Hope this help   🙂

Jeri_elle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think I have used this forum once since I signed up years ago so forgive me if I get it wrong. I haven't switched to points on my own. In order to own points I have to refer friends or something ? I have no friends & I rarely use all my data. I am a simple creature who really only uses the phone when I have to. Can I just keep the plan I am on & lose my discount ? I am sure I could find the answer in one of the thirty pages I have run across but I am overwhelmed. I suddenly ended up on a page where everyone was arguing about eachother . Will my plan change please ? I am peaceful.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It really depends what the issue is. There are countless issues that managers and even non-managerial employees can solve for you. If they weren't able to, there would almost be no need for their jobs to begin with. For example, we can compare CS Agents to the initial customer service agents that you talk to on the phone when you call other companies. They aren't managers, but can still help you with things. Managers have even more power than them. I've had managers adjust plans for me, apply loyalty discounts, give direct compensation for issues, etc.

Managers have a lot of power, and they use these powers in steps too (i.e., they try and help/satisfy the customer without using all of the power they have, because it's almost always more beneficial for the company that way). It's very rare to have a problem that requires going above a manager actually. It's only happened to me once with Rogers. I signed up via a third party service, and they promised a certain monthly price. When I received my first bill, that price was a lot higher. So I had to speak with a regional director or something, and send them the evidence (paperwork) of what I agreed to, and then he was able to honor it. 

I've had good moments, and I've had bad moments (when it comes to dealing with PM). I'm not saying that every single customer experiences "bad" customer service, but everybody's standards are not the same either. I just know that objectively, the way that PM handles their support (through a non-live ticket system), is already worse than their live counterparts (which is what most telecoms appear to have). When people have a problem, they usually want it fixed immediately (and sometimes they NEED it fixed immediately), so having to wait even a day for example (because of a non-live service), can be frustrating. The "not knowing" when you're going to receive help, isn't fun either.

But yeah, some people just see it as PM taking away their $7 monthly discount, and then look at their competitors who have nearly identical pricing + live customer service + this, and plus that, and some see that the benefits of having those things are far better than what they'll be receiving with the new points system. They also see this $7 discount being taken away, but the money not being spent on improving the service (at least not outwardly). The decision is objectively negative for the customer in nearly every single way, and is seemingly bringing in no added benefits. So the balance starts to lean towards exploring other options (which many have been doing). How many people feel this way though? We don't know of course.

@Public_Cust_17 sometimes if a bunch of replies has gone off the rails and evolved into personal attacks, I will follow the replies back to the original post or the first post that may have derailed it.  Your comment may have been picked up in something like even if your comment wasn't an attack but the reply to yours commented on someone else in a personal attack.  Any further questions send me a quick DM as I don't want to clutter this up but have no problem explaning things or addressing any concerns brought to me.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13  ha ha no, I know the definition of insanity! I actually asked because one of my posts was moved a couple days ago but I didn't know why or what the context of it was. I was attempting to see what might've crossed the line and got the post sent to community purgatory.  😋

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@ShawnC13  Thanks for the info, that makes sense to me.. I won't try to click on those.  😆

@Public_Cust_17 you can click on them all you like but I just hope you aren't clicking on them hoping for a different outcome after it was explained lol😃

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13  Thanks for the info, that makes sense to me.. I won't try to click on those.  😆

@Public_Cust_17, yes if there is a link in the post and that is the message you get it means the post has been moved to the Oracle Archive and that the general members do not have access to that area.  We can't delete posts only move.  This also keeps the posts available if we need to discuss or bring posts back to the original thread it can be easily reversed.

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13/ @RetiredGuy1  as an aside but looking for information.. when a post is "Moved" and I click on the link I am presented with the message below. I admit, I hardly ever use the community and am a novice when it comes to it's workings but my question is... does this basically mean it's been deleted for the majority of community members to see? Thanks

Access Denied
You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13  I don’t personally give your posts extra attention. While I appreciate your role as an Oracle, I also consider what you post as simply your opinion. So, in that sense, no different than any other poster.

Need Help? Let's chat.