Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,434 REPLIES 5,434

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13  I don’t personally give your posts extra attention. While I appreciate your role as an Oracle, I also consider what you post as simply your opinion. So, in that sense, no different than any other poster.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

OK PLEASE everyone lets keep the discussion on topic and respectful.  Like I am sure everyone's mom used to say "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."  If you feel there is a post attacking you please do not respond, if you feel it needs to be address Direct message me and let me or another person look at it.  When it comes to financial issues, these envoke very emotional responses and can make people hyper sensitive (myself included). Pleasem we need to keep this a respectful community and discussion.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13  If Bill-C63 were to pass in its current form, we wouldn’t even have freedom of expression any more. More to the topic at hand, I think you and the Oracles should clean up the personal-level posts. I posted earlier, anyone who has a post deleted could always make a case why they feel it was removed in error (provided the thread is not locked of course). This would likely only involve a few “grey-area” ones as most of these types of posts are quite obvious.

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13  I wasn't arguing the point merely stating that the J_PM account was just used for announcements.

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@ShawnC13  fair enough! I've attempted to be very civil and helpful here but I was growing tired of being badgered, monitored and having someone "keep checking the posts here and help them to improve their logical thinking".. understand?

@Public_Cust_17 Totally understand with Oracle by my name all my posts seem to get extra attention.  We ALL need to keep the discussion repectful.  I am trying to allow an open discussion continue but have had to remove some posts as they would only encourage a retalliation.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

Honestly I think the time has come for PM to lock this thread. Belittling people back and forth, blaming the other person, they started it.... and lest you think I am talking about the other person, I am looking at you too.

I don' think anything new will appear on this thread. Management knows people are upset. Let's lock it and move on to something else.

I agree, I am thinking about going back through this thread and start removing comments that aren't adding to the converstation but just an argument between a few members.

Just for context, we've many other older threads that also had users disagreeing (sometimes passionately/rudely) and some of these can still be viewed (unless they've been deleted altogether) if you're really interested and have enough time to search for them in both Support and Lounge sections of this forum.

I hope any of the so called side discussions can instead be just moved to the Lounge and those users should be able to carry on their "discussions" if they want to.  There already are couple of threads in the Lounge which were extracted from here.

Personally, I disagree that this thread should be locked due to a few customers going off topic every now again.

@Wolfcore A retail location manager, or who's in charge at customer service is not going to get you anyone who is a decision maker.  It may get you someone who can relay information for you and that is what J_PM has been doing.

Your trouble ticket I am sure it was probably been read and if it isn't service related could have a lower priority to issues that are service related.

What about all those users that have never had an issue with the service.  People are making it sound like Public Mobile was a horrible service provider and they were always waiting for customer service.  If that was the case for myself I don't care how cheap the service is if it isn't working it is no longer cheap and not the best decision financially for me.  The service has been as good as any previous provider I have been with when talking about service reliablility.  None of my referrals or referral network have complained about the network or issues with receving customer service.  

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13  fair enough! I've attempted to be very civil and helpful here but I was growing tired of being badgered, monitored and having someone "keep checking the posts here and help them to improve their logical thinking".. understand?

@TECHRANG3R wrote:

@hTideGnow @HALIMACS 

I think the purpose of this thread has become a series of statements by until now - 'loyal' PM customers indicating their discontent with this change, explaining in some cases how it affects them, and also explaining the potential consequences for their relationship with PM.  Indicating that there is no point to this exercise, that PM can do whatever they want legally and essentially trying to quiet the masses is counterproductive.  Customers communicating their satisfaction or lack thereof with their service is critical to a business relationship and trying to quell that communication is a disservice to everyone! 

Please keep in mind there are likely many customers that are still not aware or do not understand the consequences of this change and therefore seeing similar situations and experiences by their fellow community members is very helpful.

It is true but members should also be able to make counter comments.  This enables those who come to the thread to be fully informed of the situation.  You can be extremely upset and voice your concerns, it doesn't mean things are changing.  We have a large thread here but I would say well over half the participation of this thread is by 20-40 people all repeating the same information.

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13 this is an example of the limitation with posts regarding the nuances of a viewpoint. Of course, for the example I used it is clear the price and data both went up. The point I was making is people see a “perceived” value in getting more for just paying a little more when, often (usually?) they had more data than they used/needed in the first place. I feel we’re both making valid observations - yours is supported by easily-measurable metrics while mine is more nuanced. Cheers

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Almost any company that has an online chat service, or phone service, or in-person customer service. You simply ask to speak with who's in charge, or the manager, and you usually get them. These are also live conversations where you can expect an immediate response in general. With PM (because it's a non-live messaging service), you never know when you'll receive a response. I sent a message to CS Agents last Wednesday, tomorrow will be one week without a response back. Imagine if my service wasn't working and I had no phone for 7 days. It's just unacceptable. People were willing to put up with some things because of how cheap the plans were, but without the old rewards system, those headaches don't come with any remedy anymore.

@eyes wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @Public_Cust_17 then let me tell you something that those government bodies supposed to have a say, Rogers used to have something call First Rewards and It was shutdown in 2015.  Their Communities didn't have a say to stop Rogers from dropping that.  Yeah, you will probably say it was too long ago and does not count 

Hi hTideGnow  Have noticed that usually you do take posts off topic that does clutter and confuse the OP posting ---- ---- I wonder as to why our dedicates Oracles have not noticed this yet.

There are many taking the conversation off topic just like this quoted one.  As I said earlier when we do moderate everyone gets upset about censoring.  

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

Fully agree @kb_mv 

there’s a lot of emotions on here

I still believe there are some who are misinterpreting other peoples views and inserting their own views, suggesting what the other person intends by their statements.

Whether it’s intentional or not, I’m uncertain.

But I do agree, locking this thread probably serves everyone’s best interests, however, it would certainly be nice if Public Mobile management would do all these users the courtesy of addressing many of the points herein before doing so.

As an old fart, I’ll use the following old expression: “don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater”. In this case, rather than lock the thread to the whole community and prevent any further good ideas that may be brought forward, the mods could simply delete the unnecessary personal-attack type posts.

@RetiredGuy1 when we do that we are told we are censoring the thread and taking away "Free Speech".  Which is very funny as Canada doesn't have a free speech law, we have Freedom of Expression, but even that has limits and can be restricted 

Wolfcore

The irony is that the same people making statements like this, are the ones who threw the stones to begin with, and are continuing to. Then they get mad when people throw the stones back in retaliation, and then claim victim. Everything they accuse others of, are the things that they are the ones doing, and it's like they think that nobody can read all of the messages that have been posted here, and can see exactly how things have gone. I guess they just think that because it's 3000+ posts, nobody is going to read them all anyway, so they can just openly lie, accuse others of things, and openly contradict themselves, and still appear as the good guy (and the victim), in the end.

@kb_mv wrote:

Honestly I think the time has come for PM to lock this thread. Belittling people back and forth, blaming the other person, they started it.... and lest you think I am talking about the other person, I am looking at you too.

I don' think anything new will appear on this thread. Management knows people are upset. Let's lock it and move on to something else.

I agree, I am thinking about going back through this thread and start removing comments that aren't adding to the converstation but just an argument between a few members.

Wolfcore

The irony, it's quivering 🤣

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@hTideGnow 

Perhaps generally speaking, some plans have come down in price when taking a multi-year snapshot. Of course, as a general statement, most would agree a lot were outrageously expensive back then so they really had no choice but to rein in some control on price points.

I’m referring to current market conditions. For, example PM’s recent promo of $34 for 50 GB 5G Can-US has ended and was effectively replaced with the current $39 for 60 GB 5G Can-US. So, in that example the price increased. This example is what I mean by the perception of better value (oh look, for only $5 I get 10 GB more). This is the approach PM (and all others really) are taking to capitalize on the FOMO attitude of customers while, at the same time, increase their ARPU.

Plans have definitely gone down over the 7 years I have been here.  I was on a 90 day plan but it was basically $40 for 4GB and that was WAY cheaper than anything out there at the time.  It was a true indrustry disrupting plan the Famous 2016 Fall Promo.  I actually thought I would never leave it lol but now $34 for 50GB Can/US

I did acknowledge that in the past this has happened in some cases. As you didn’’t comment on my second point regarding current market trends, I’ll assume you agree on that. Cheers.

@RetiredGuy1 your second point isn't comparing the same things though.  The price did go up but so did the data bucket.  So it is more for more.  In my example it was $34/50 GB or $0.68 per GB the $39/60GB is actually $0.65 per GB so again the price per unit did go down.

cookie5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New program is 11% more expensive for me. Nice for Telus, not so good for customers.

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@kb_mv  my point exactly... it's just PM management sending out announcements and they aren't willing to engage in the community because that's not what the account was created for.

That isn't what the account was created for.  I have a question what other company do you interact with "Management" when there is a change in service cost?  You can contact their customer service area, like you can here but do you ever get a Manager?

@kb_mv wrote:

@Public_Cust_17 PM typically does not respond to customer remarks on these forums and honestly to do so here would open up a torrent of abuse.

I agree some of the comments at Oracles for responding were uncalled for I can't imagine what they could be like for a PM staff member

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@eyes wrote:

Hey @J_PM as is obvious by the  responses to your announcement that reward accounts will be switched to point accounts has made many very unhappy.

As far as I can tell, you have not voiced a response to any of the postings. Perhaps you would be nice enough to bring all this discontentment to the attention of PM management.

@eyes that is what J_PM has been doing.  This thread is being monitored and information is being taken back to the team.  With no response I would take that as they are moving forward with the original plan and have not changed their mind.  I think if they start posting that is when we would hear if there was any change in the plan.

Moved:

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13 

Agree, the Big 3 have a monopoly so anybody new coming along doesn’t have a chance (unless they’re bankrolled by someone like Elon Musk 😄). In terms of expecting competition, a flanker brand could keep a loyalty-based rewards program that, arguably, gives them a competive edge like PM. Oh, wait a minute…

@Joe_Crushy wrote:

All of Us, the customers made PM who they are!! Without the legacy points and all of us they would be no PM at all, Now all of us are losing all our rewards for this corporate greed!! 

I will agree with that but add that it was the pricing of plans and what was offered that attracted people to PM.  Even today people are still signing up as they are finding it a better deal here than elsewhere.  I have 2 new referrals that I have to setup for them in the next little bit.  Just like a workplace, no one irreplaceable.  They just find someone else to fill the opening, it may take a bit longer at the beginning but places will get filled.

@kb_mv wrote:

@JohnDoe3 Independent MVNO's in Canada are pretty much dead. The CRTC ruled in 2022 (I'll paraphrase) that MNVO's had to essentially build their own infrastructure which flys in the face of what MNVOs are and all but killed off the possibility of having independent MVNOs like dotMobile, TextNow and Mint.

That pretty much makes it impossible doesn't it.  How are we supposed to get competition when it is pretty much impossible for any new company to startup without an INSANE investment before they would even be able to take on consumers.

Public_Cust_17

@TECHRANG3R  I spent a bit of time yesterday coming up with the following post and subsequent email that I sent.. I encourage everyone to feel free to use it as a template (or come up with your own) and email the committee that is currently in discussions with industry CEO's regarding their pricing policies. Hopefully, the link works from here..   Cheers  edit: The link doesn't seem to work (maybe, maybe not), please feel free to look at my previous posts.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-our-Old-Rewards-Pro...

@mikasik2 wrote:

You know PM could just settle this by giving everyone $7+tax in cash each month for the rest of our lives

lol  Sorry had a little laugh at this one.  I know/hoping that was a joke but still made me laugh

@TECHRANG3R 

I don’t think I ever wrote that this thread is a waste of time.

Every piece of input is valuable and demonstrates frustration with this proposed change.

I hope that Public Mobile and the ‘powers that be’ appreciate the time that users are taking to express their displeasure and views.

I’m just wondering if doing so on this thread further serve a purpose to have PM reconsider.

Putting in a support ticket to express your displeasure, contacting the CCTS, maybe even contacting your elected officials through the process aforementioned, that’s what any concerned user can do to further this and broaden the viewing audience.

Need Help? Let's chat.