Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,586 REPLIES 5,586

Fully agree @kb_mv 

there’s a lot of emotions on here

I still believe there are some who are misinterpreting other peoples views and inserting their own views, suggesting what the other person intends by their statements.

Whether it’s intentional or not, I’m uncertain.

But I do agree, locking this thread probably serves everyone’s best interests, however, it would certainly be nice if Public Mobile management would do all these users the courtesy of addressing many of the points herein before doing so.

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kb_mv  I would like upset customers to use the opportunity to complain to PM and subsequently the CCTS and the CRTC as well as The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) who are currently in discussion with industry ceo's regarding their pricing policies.

If PM locks this thread I encourage anyone reading it to search out that information contained in here.... I also believe that when customers get the cost of their bills increased in May, is when most will react. Cheers

HI @HALIMACS 

i need to restate my stance, I don't like the plan change myself.  I am affected, $7 more for every single account I manage.  I agree the data bonus with only 150 days expiry is not sufficient to make us 

I just see it disturbing seeing some of the top posters here  have forgotten the fact that things can change.   Customers tend to think saving is everything and they can ignore the rights of other

and Yes, I try be be not with "them" and see what the "President" will  do 🙂

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HALIMACS wrote:

Yup @hTideGnow 

I find it curious that certain members on this forum would stoop to the levels they have in demonstrations of a sort of superiority complex by minimizing (even twisting and ridiculing) other users participation and views.

It strikes me of what a US President once exclaimed, “if you’re not with us, you’re against us”.  

It’s one thing to disagree, it’s another thing to agree to disagree, and it’s whole other thing to shoot down other people because their views do not align with yours. 

Yet those same members who were 100% committed against this change now even find themselves seeking a compromised solution.

I just wish we could all get along because I do wholeheartedly believe we’re all looking to simply retain the legacy rewards and have Public Mobile realize the unfairness and impact this decision is having on their most loyal, and vulnerable, customers.

Well said and I agree with this except the bit about being 100% against the change and now trying to find a compromised solution. Both can be true at the same time. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Honestly I think the time has come for PM to lock this thread. Belittling people back and forth, blaming the other person, they started it.... and lest you think I am talking about the other person, I am looking at you too.

I don' think anything new will appear on this thread. Management knows people are upset. Let's lock it and move on to something else.

Public_Cust_17

I just wish we could all get along because I do wholeheartedly believe we’re all looking to simply retain the legacy rewards and have Public Mobile realize the unfairness and impact this decision is having on their most loyal, and vulnerable, customers.

@HALIMACS  I agree wholeheartedly with your point and I sure as hell don't need someone to help me with "my logical thinking" (if that isn't an attempt at ridiculing, I don't know what is) when all I'm hearing out of them is "that it is what it is, can't change it" bend over and be thankful PM is using lube as they give it to you.. Being "monitored" and badgered by a very argumentative "Mayor"  because I disagree with that opinion and will continue to do so.. strikes me as an attempt to shut me up.... spoiler alert, that's probably not going to happen!

I would like to retain the legacy rewards for myself as well as all other legacy customers and I do believe this decision is unfairly impacting PM's most vulnerable customers as I stated in my email to The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) who are currently meeting with industry top management to discuss industry pricing policies. I encourage all unhappy customers to do the same as I believe it can only help in having an impact in making that goal a reality or at very least bringing the issue to light.  Cheers

hi @Public_Cust_17 then let me tell you something that those government bodies supposed to have a say, Rogers used to have something call First Rewards and It was shutdown in 2015.  Their Communities didn't have a say to stop Rogers from dropping that.  Yeah, you will probably say it was too long ago and does not count 

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@hTideGnow 

Perhaps generally speaking, some plans have come down in price when taking a multi-year snapshot. Of course, as a general statement, most would agree a lot were outrageously expensive back then so they really had no choice but to rein in some control on price points.

I’m referring to current market conditions. For, example PM’s recent promo of $34 for 50 GB 5G Can-US has ended and was effectively replaced with the current $39 for 60 GB 5G Can-US. So, in that example the price increased. This example is what I mean by the perception of better value (oh look, for only $5 I get 10 GB more). This is the approach PM (and all others really) are taking to capitalize on the FOMO attitude of customers while, at the same time, increase their ARPU.

Plans have definitely gone down over the 7 years I have been here.  I was on a 90 day plan but it was basically $40 for 4GB and that was WAY cheaper than anything out there at the time.  It was a true indrustry disrupting plan the Famous 2016 Fall Promo.  I actually thought I would never leave it lol but now $34 for 50GB Can/US

I did acknowledge that in the past this has happened in some cases. As you didn’’t comment on my second point regarding current market trends, I’ll assume you agree on that. Cheers.

Michael6666

It's all relative.

Amazon built itself up without maximizing shareholder profits in the short run. They are now massive and didn't nickel and dime their customers.

There's the quarterly investor and the long term investor. The long term investor doesn't want to lose loyal customers which have high margins as they don't need maintenance.

At this point, I'm 100% certain to leave once this change happens. I've been with public mobile since I had my first ZTE phone with unlimited data and very restricted zones (except for when the koodo offer was send to get us off the fall promo plan).

The loyalty program was innovative and locked customers in. They're gambling with fixed revenue and bottom line profits.. 

Yup @hTideGnow 

I find it curious that certain members on this forum would stoop to the levels they have in demonstrations of a sort of superiority complex by minimizing (even twisting and ridiculing) other users participation and views.

It strikes me of what a US President once exclaimed, “if you’re not with us, you’re against us”.  

It’s one thing to disagree, it’s another thing to agree to disagree, and it’s whole other thing to shoot down other people because their views do not align with yours. 

Yet those same members who were 100% committed against this change now even find themselves seeking a compromised solution.

colleeno

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@hTideGnow  Mr. S.S.R.  Honestly, your constant restating of your opinions is boring and many times it's been stated in replies that Starbucks is not overseen by the CRTC or the CCTS as well as The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) which are currently meeting with mobile carriers regarding their pricing policies.  You're obviously drinking the PM koolaid all day every day and I don't agree with your opinions so keep sharing those ad nauseam and make sure you're on the top percent of the community and you get rewarded for being a good little customer..

What exactly is the point of your reply.. except to restate your opinion, once again, and let me know "You're monitoring my posts"... like I care!

There are quite a few subscribers in this thread, including yourself, constantly restating their opinions. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@eyes wrote:

Would anyone invest in a public traded company and not expect maximum possible profits?

@eyes they shouldn't.

Public_Cust_17

@hTideGnow  Mr. S.S.R.  Honestly, your constant restating of your opinions is boring and many times it's been stated in replies that Starbucks is not overseen by the CRTC or the CCTS as well as The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) which are currently meeting with mobile carriers regarding their pricing policies.  You're obviously drinking the PM koolaid all day every day and I don't agree with your opinions so keep sharing those ad nauseam and make sure you're on the top percent of the community and you get rewarded for being a good little customer..

What exactly is the point of your reply.. except to restate your opinion, once again, and let me know "You're monitoring my posts"... like I care!

Michael6666

Let's look at their current marketing.. 

100% Surprise-Free

Know what you’re getting from the get-go. With a variety of options as unique as you are, subscribe to the plan that’s right for you and get the features you want, like unlimited data, with cost-certainty you can depend on.

thanks @HALIMACS 

no worry, I understand on internet, when people don't have proof or strong argument, they will spin the topic in other direction, laughing at people's comprehension skill is a usual tactics, almost like what we all did in grade school.

I am fine with that, I will keep checking the posts here and help them to improve their logical thinking  🤣😂

@Michael6666 wrote:

Not very hard to understand why people are frustrated and want to voice their opinion. 

Lucky for them that public mobile doesn't have phone support or it would have been felt there anyways.

Big wigs making millions and chipping away at the regular folk while paying the regular folk minimum wage to take the abuse.

Public mobile should rename themselves to The Gilded Age mobile. 

@Michael6666 PM is no different than the overwhelming number of publicly traded companies. Altruism is not in their mission statement. People need to go where they believe they will get the best value for their money and not because they think one company is nicer than another. They are all the same.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@hTideGnow 

I’m referring to current market conditions. For, example PM’s recent promo of $34 for 50 GB 5G Can-US has ended and was effectively replaced with the current $39 for 60 GB 5G Can-US. So, in that example the price increased. This example is what I mean by the perception of better value (oh look, for only $5 I get 10 GB more). This is the approach PM (and all others really) are taking to capitalize on the FOMO attitude of customers while, at the same time, increase their ARPU.

HI @RetiredGuy1 

let me also give you the proof of the phone plan price drop

just came in today:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/240319/dq240319a-eng.htm

Consumers who signed on to a cell phone plan in February paid 26.5% less year over year, following a 16.4% decline in January. The year-over-year decline was driven by lower prices for new plans and increases in data allowances for some cellular service plans.

Michael6666

Not very hard to understand why people are frustrated and want to voice their opinion. 

Lucky for them that public mobile doesn't have phone support or it would have been felt there anyways.

Big wigs making millions and chipping away at the regular folk while paying the regular folk minimum wage to take the abuse.

Public mobile should rename themselves to The Gilded Age mobile. 

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@kb_mv  my point exactly... it's just PM management sending out announcements and they aren't willing to engage in the community because that's not what the account was created for.

HI @Public_Cust_17 

when Starbucks changed my Stars for coffee, i was only informed after the fact, no one "engage" me about possible improvements,  and I wasn't involved with the decision making either as I happen not to be on the board of director at that time.  Did you check with your secretary if you missed the board meeting when PM discussed the direction of the rewards system? 

Public_Cust_17

@kb_mv  my point exactly... it's just PM management sending out announcements and they aren't willing to engage in the community because that's not what the account was created for.

@Public_Cust_17 PM typically does not respond to customer remarks on these forums and honestly to do so here would open up a torrent of abuse.

Public_Cust_17

@eyes  I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say the J_PM is PM management and probably stands for something like "Join PM" which would explain them unwilling to even comment once as that is just a profile to make announcements with. My apologies if they have commented somewhere in here as I've never seen one and I'm not bored enough to search every response to this thread.

Joe_Crushy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

All of Us, the customers made PM who they are!! Without the legacy points and all of us they would be no PM at all, Now all of us are losing all our rewards for this corporate greed!! 

JDBlue1966

What about inflation?

@JohnDoe3 Independent MVNO's in Canada are pretty much dead. The CRTC ruled in 2022 (I'll paraphrase) that MNVO's had to essentially build their own infrastructure which flys in the face of what MNVOs are and all but killed off the possibility of having independent MVNOs like dotMobile, TextNow and Mint.

mikasik2

You know PM could just settle this by giving everyone $7+tax in cash each month for the rest of our lives

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

there’s no sense weighing in.

“The sky is blue. The sky is blue. The sky is blue.”

“I didn’t say the sky was blue.”

“When I said blue, I meant sad, not the colour, dummy, your reading comprehension is low”

🤣 

JDBlue1966

Glad you did. Also, hope you look for another provider. It’s one thing putting up the price of plans. I can live with that. However, taking away rewards is not on.

mikasik2

I for one would like to say something positive about this whole fiasco..

Matty1234
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public may have the right with regards to their ToS but if they're going to increase their fees by approx $94 for me (7 x 12 plus GST/PST) then I'm going to look elsewhere, it's ethically wrong to remove the discount for regular paying customers.

For me Public has less than a month to reverse the decision or I'm gone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.