Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,588 REPLIES 5,588

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile has gone corporate. They are not the champion of the common people as originally conceived. As many folks have commented, actions speak louder than words. Maybe a mass exodus to one of the other low cost providers will be a wake up call to the corporate big-wigs that unilaterally stripping us of our rewards program may not have been such a brilliant idea. 

@Soon-ex-PM-user, what tier 1 provider has cheaper plans?  I just did a quick look on a BYOD plans and all 3 start at $50 and don't have the data or calling features that PM has.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@SeniorCitizen wrote:

No disrespect to the Oracles. But are you truly on the side of the consumer expressing your real feelings or are you teamed up to help PM pursue and complete the change.  In a “shill” like position? 

@SeniorCitizen where have I showed support for this change?  I don't agree with it.  Just because I have posted the ToS doesn't mean I am supporting Telus' decision on this.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Alveeto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why didn't your account get locked and reset?

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Good morning mikasik2,

I too had a dream. It was 2026 and I logged onto the PM Community Forum to find this announcement from an Oracle:

Personally, the moment Telus directed PM to force legacy rewards customers onto the new points program (2024), people should understand the elimination of PM was Telus’ plan, it will come one day, just a matter or timing. Despite inflation eroding their record profits since 2024, Telus has kept the PM entity for 2 extra years. 😂

@RetiredGuy1, hey if it makes sense financially to stay here then do and ride out the rewards as long as they are around.  They can be pulled at anytime (with notice)

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Oh, no offence taken and I always look to optimize value in all my expenditures. For added context, I’ve had bad experiences with both Bell and Rogers (phone, cable and internet, not mobile) and now, with this rug-pull of the rewards, I’m simply adding Telus to that list. I’m waiting until May to decide. My sweet spot would be a $24 4G plan with a few GB of data. Given I’ve now faced disappointment in some regard with each of the Big 3, whoever is offering the plan I’m seeking in May will get my $

hi @Public_Cust_17 say whatever you want but I won't e giving you these technical reports for free. Private message me and I can help to set up a proper one for you with a good rate 

inv

cut the benefits of front line employees and customers to afford the executives. 

Soon-ex-PM-user
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The below post from Redflagdeals forum summarize everything.  I would change 'water' to 'spoiled milk':

Public Mobile, a tier 3 provider, is lacking many features and almost nil PM support as the support are done by the loyal customers. With the recent changes, PM prices when taking into account of its many lacking features and almost nil support is more expensive than tier 1 and tier 2 providers.

It is laughable that PM expects us to be loyal when the loyalty rewards are reduced drastically and also cumbersome to use under the new points reward rules. Adding insult to injury, PM blatantly lies telling us that the points reward is better for us and PM also gives us a gift with 150 days expiration. This so called gift is like giving us 'water' where we don't need lol.

giaboni

What about this lie in their public community announcement and I quote:

""We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward." 

We as loyal Public Mobile customers DO NOT have more opportunities to earn as we (for those on Auto-Plan and a customer for at least 5 years) are all losing more than 70% in rewards per month in terms of dollar value when we are forced to switch to this new rewards plan in May 2024. In my case, I am currently earning $10 in old rewards per month ($2 Autoplan, $3 Referral and $5 Loyalty) and the new rewards plan does not even come close whatsoever and I am lucky if I get $2.00 in total new rewards per month (my current $34 per month payable every 90 days gives me $2.00 in total new rewards per month) so tell me how and I quote Public Mobile is giving me "more opportunities to earn"?

So in my specific case, I am losing 80% of my rewards dollar value per month  (I am going from $10 rewards per month to $2.00 rewards per month) once I am switched over to the new Public Mobile rewards program but yet according to Public Mobile I am getting "more opportunities to earn".

This is why I filed a complaint with the CCTS because they lied to us.

RetiredGuy1

One of the reasons I chose PM in the first place was the rationale that “hey, at least I’m not supporting Bell or Rogers”. Now I see I was mistaken as Telus’ ethics are no better than their competitors

SeniorCitizen

No disrespect to the Oracles. But are you truly on the side of the consumer expressing your real feelings or are you teamed up to help PM pursue and complete the change.  In a “shill” like position? 

SeniorCitizen

@MrG3D wrote:

PM's reputation is big time in on the line here, and likely by extension Telus.  This isn't the first unpopular change made to squeeze money out in surreptitious way.  Remember the credit card fee?  You are losing trust fast.  If your business is suffering, raise prices moderately.  Don't lie to your customers.  Look out for your customers and be honest with them and they will be loyal.  I don't know how you expect them to be loyal like this.

Lie, would Telus lie? That’s what creates the 100% mistrust of Telus. I have been lied to soooooo many times from both Telus onshore and offshore since January 2023. Almost on every call.  I can provide examples too. 

mikasik2

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Good morning mikasik2,

I too had a dream. It was 2026 and I logged onto the PM Community Forum to find this announcement from an Oracle:

Personally, the moment Telus directed PM to force legacy rewards customers onto the new points program (2024), people should understand the elimination of PM was Telus’ plan, it will come one day, just a matter or timing. Despite inflation eroding their record profits since 2024, Telus has kept the PM entity for 2 extra years. 😂

I've no doubt this is the case.  They tried to get everyone on the 4gb/90 day plan to migrate to Koodo a while back.  And now they have Eversafe to make things extra annoying.  This looks like a slow controlled demolition of a company.

SeniorCitizen

In late February, Wendy’s management team surprised both customers and investors with a clarification. The fast-food chain announced wrote to CNN that “Wendy’s will not implement surge pricing, which is the practice of raising prices when demand is highest. […] It was never our plan to raise prices when customers are visiting us the most.” Surge pricing is the practice of increasing prices when demand is high and decreasing them when prices are low. Basically, it’s a form of “dynamic” pricing.

Customers of course were elated to hear Wendy’s was no longer employing that kind of pricing strategy, but investors may be less pleased. Still, despite the controversy around dynamic pricing, many companies continue to use this strategy. 

The consumer won!

RetiredGuy1

Good morning mikasik2,

Cnlola8322
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Don’ lt worry all.  When you wake up morning after March 31st everything will be the same.  This is just an April fool joke.  

byildir
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I guess the $17 million per year the CEO was making – who knows why, maybe he has some unheard-of tricks up his sleeve- wasn’t good enough. What an unabashed greed!

JDBlue1966

Also remember, the stopped the Christmas 1000 overseas calling and free GB’s bonus.

Renzha

Good job

MrG3D

PM's reputation is big time in on the line here, and likely by extension Telus.  This isn't the first unpopular change made to squeeze money out in surreptitious way.  Remember the credit card fee?  You are losing trust fast.  If your business is suffering, raise prices moderately.  Don't lie to your customers.  Look out for your customers and be honest with them and they will be loyal.  I don't know how you expect them to be loyal like this.

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13  thanks for acknowledging that $7 (max.) change isn't the same for everyone.. it's definitely relative to disposable income.  I have used Oracles as an example but really my comments apply to anyone that can more easily afford the change in monthly costs vs. someone like a senior on a fixed budget when the cost of everything just keeps getting jacked up lately.  Personally, I just do like you've said and follow my wallet because the government hasn't figured out a way to tax me on money I save.. yet.   😁

JDBlue1966

Fully agree. If they make the change, I will just look for another provider for me and the wife. Dont even mind paying a bit more. Especially if the provider has overseas roaming. Something I would use a lot. 

eJonavin

Good bye and thanks for all the fish. It was fun while it lasted. Last of my 4 lines.

Screenshot_20240315_094058_Messages.jpegIMG_1070.png

Robbwell

Before you complain to CCTS you need an argument (and you need to deal with PM first). This forum provides those arguments. Just complaining is not enough for CCTS to decide anything.

Lucster

The title of this post is truly misleading or it's propaganda driven.  There are NO changes planned to the old reward program.  The title should have been "The elimination of the old reward program".  

PM has the right to modify/eliminate their reward/points program any way they want.  What I disliking is the lies (listed below) and the fact they are breaking a promise (also listed below).

Go ahead PM, do what you want and the customers we'll demonstrate our ability to respond to your choices.  However, consider the impact of your reputation because typically unsatisfied customers share their experience with co-workers, friends & family members. 

List of lies (paraphrased):

1. Only new customers will be forced to the points program.  Lie, you're forcing us to the points program May 2024.
  2. You'll love the new points program.  Lie, we'll end up paying more so I'm not sure what we'll love about it?  The new lottery with points you're implementing?  I'm not a gambler so I'll pass!
  3. We're changing to the old reward program.  Lie, you're eliminating it.  Be blunt and tell the truth.
  4. We're grateful for your loyalty, here is a gift of data.  Lie, gift do NOT expire.

I could continue, but like I wrote before (and it was reported on iphonecanada.ca), I'll wait until May 2024 to make my final decision as I'm still hoping PM might change its mind.  If they do not, I already have selected PM's replacement for my 6 lines (I'm a good son who takes care of his parents).

Renzha

I don't understand why people keep arguing here. It is useless. Only way is to complain to ccts and switching to other carriers.

Again, I will switch all my 4 PM lines and 1 Koodo line to others even pay morr, no more telus

mikasik2

Oh man I just woke up from a terrible dream where PM took our rewards away and forcibly replaced them with something inferior 😫

@G_Pomzz wrote:

Good point but I would like things to remain the way they are. As a good corporate citizen, PM should grandfather those of us who have been loyal customers. New recruits can be put on the new and improved points system and they will love it. 

@G_Pomzz, we all want that and that is what PM has been doing for the last 2 years, but I do beleive that is coming to an end as I don't see PM reversing this decision (still have hope but not holding my breath).

@ridgeline, J_PM was probably providing us with the information they had at the time.  The comment of "There is no plans to migrate customers" was 2 years ago.  In a business based on technology that is a HUGE amount of time for things to change as plans and strategies do in any business.

As for the member who spoke with a higher up at Telus and was told the points program was in Transition period but there was no solid timeline determined to move everyone over.  Senior Managers are working on timeline plans of longer range.  Lower level Managers will be working on timelines of months to a year.  I don't think it should be considered to be contradicting what was heard from a "Higher Up" when PM managers are just acting on the information they have at the time.

Need Help? Let's chat.