Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,548 REPLIES 5,548

onk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is the most out of touch worst decision I’ve seen Public Mobile make. I’m actually going to swap providers and take all my family with me if this goes through. 

oh and thanks for the 30GB of bonus data THAT EXPIRES. I use less than 1.5GB a month. Am I going to use the rest of the 28.5 spamming these forums over trash points? Guess so. 

666Deicide
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As a customer since 2016, I actively bragged about how good the plans were when the Rewards program is taken into account, and I've had a few referrals over the years.  I was very dissapointed when it was discontinued for new users, but like many, it didn't affect me, so I didn't feel the need to comment.  When that change happened, I essentially stopped telling people about Public. I no longer saw the benefit in choosing Public over other carriers.

Unfortunately, it seems, I've put too much trust in Public Mobile. While I intended to remain with Public Mobile due to the great experience I've had with the Rewards program, I have zero interest in continuing to be a customer under the new Points program. I don't want flexibility or contests or any other junk. A short term boost in data, isn't of benefit, and is nothing but a hollow jesture, as myself, like most people, already subscribe to a data plan that meets their needs.

This feels like a slap in the face to someone that has been around for just shy of 8 years. What hits harder than anything, is my latest phone purchase this year was centered around compatibility with Public, and affordability due to needing to buy it outright without contract. I could have come very close to my current phone bill without needing to pay several hundred dollars up front. I now heavily regret my decision to continue with Public Mobile, and had I seen this betrayal coming, I wouldn't have.

Unless this decision is reversed, I will be leaving and taking my family to another carrier.

Beacher_Mich

This is upsetting indeed. Both my husband and I have been with PM for a very long time and save a total of $125.40 / annually as a result of that loyalty. We are seniors on a fixed income and work hard to keep down our expenses. How do I get a fair exchange for this rewards program switch. Feels a bit like unfair business practice to me. I will be submitting my complaints to CCTS. 

micagagne

I'm very sorry you're doing this to us, we will be loosing a lot on this move and the "bonus data" is WORTHLESS to me as I will never use it.  I guess I had a good run with Public Mobile, but I will be checking other providers.  I have 4 lines with you.  I guess you do not care about loyalty from your customers.

eJonavin

We can't be too specific or our posts will get deleted.  Looks at reddit and redflagdeals for some input. Get some freedom and set yourself free.

Mobilemech

What happened to rewarding customers for loyalty? I'll be filling a complaint with the CCTS and checking CRTC regulations to see if you can legally port customers. This is essentially changing a grandfathered plan.

Every customer affected by this will be paying more. Your points program is terrible by comparison which is why legacy users have not switched. If I leave, my referrals, who are on the points program, will be leaving as well.

You offer the same 10 points to users who have been subscribed for 1-year as those subscribed for 10?! That's a whole $0.83 per month, whoopee.

Thanks for nothing. This is the same greedy cash grab that caused me to cancel Netflix and never look back.

I encourage all users affected by this to contact the CCTS AND the CRTC. The CRTC has rules against changing grandfathered plans and this is directly tied to your plan. I'm sure a skilled lawyer could win a class action in this case.

Dan13773

As a long time customer I am very upset that PM is forcing us to the new public points system, while at the same time trying to pawn it off as better than the original points system. Giving us a "gift" of data that expires and that not everyone can use is a slap in the face.

Please everyone file a complaint with the CCTS (just search CCTS it'll be the first link that pops up.) If enough people file complaints PM may be forced to reverse their decision. 

"Back in 2018, when Public Mobile tried to increase the price of its $120/12GB 90-day plan, customers complained to the CCTS, filing over 1600 complaints in days, according to the later sharing details with iPhone in Canada. Telus ended up reversing the price increase."

Salvo1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Screenshot_20240312-181057.png

greymonkey

The Rewards program is the reason I stayed with Public Mobile for so many years. I'm not sure why companies choose to punish their loyal customers, but I'm inclined to take myself and my referrals elsewhere.

redbull

1st post: Never had a reason to research competitors before. Way to make things more confusing and difficult for your longtime users PM.

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dunkman wrote:

@edeepm wrote:

@J_PMleft a bravo/thumbs up on my message complaining that @J_PM ignored my direct message? Is that supposed to be funny?

From my interactions with J_PM on the oracle forum, I believe that her bravo was meant to acknowledge that she has read your post.  Not as a taunt.

From my understanding, Public mobile has decided not to comment on the announcement thread at the present time. Whatever is said on this thread has been passed up the chain.  Not sure when PM will respond.  

Re: Bravoes left by @J_PM, or any community helper, I've always understood those to be an acknowledgement that the comment had been seen, or taken into account, or liked. I'm glad you cleared that up, although I was really surprised that anyone thought that it was a taunt. Everyone is just tired I guess. 

Also it's good to know that they're still monitoring our comments, suggestions etc.

For the record, this is what I want from the powers that be please. 

I want 1 point for each month that I've been with PM up to the transition date + I'm penalizing you 10 more. 

I want the $24 plan available to new activations only, to be available to me & others if necessary.

I want my $5 Quebec resident bonus applied to the $24 plan, that you will make available specifically to me.  

I want a small cottage by the river & providing you give me a good sized back yard, you can put a tower in it. 

Spoiler
Note I didn't say what kind of tower! 😛 

HC9867

Like many others, I am totally gross out by this announcement.  This is not how one should treat their loyal customers. Definitely will be on a lookout for better options out there. 😠

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since the announcement, I tend to log in twice a day, morning & night. Tonight I've noticed a lot of people commenting for the first time. I know they're not new to PM, they've just never had much need to use this forum, as normally everything has gone smoothly.  

Because some are asking about alternative providers, at the risk of annoying those who've already seen it, I'm reposting the edited review which met PM's ToS, with a couple of modifications, otherwise a copy of the one previously posted. 

Depending on what happens with PM's $24 plan, if it’s made available to everyone, then I’ll probably stay, as I've never had problems with PM. I’ll take advantage of my March & April Legacy Rewards, while continuing to comparison shop, especially after the transition to Points Rewards begins in May.

Fizz Mobile seems to be the most comparable to PM, with respect to the plans offered, website navigation, ease of use & the community. To meet my own requirements, it’s the one I would migrate to, if necessary. 

Note: Don't forget to check the map coverage / tower locations local to you. 

For the most budget friendly service providers, I’ve looked at customer reviews from several sources, in addition to their own websites. I’ve looked at their plans, support features if any & website navigation.

Fido Mobile: Network & Owned by Rogers: complaints re: customer service & billing issues.

Fizz Mobile: Network: Vidéotron/Rogers / Owned by Québecor: good for internet, not as good for phones.

Freedom Mobile: Network: Freedom/Vidéotron / Owned by Québecor: complaints re: customer support & connectivity issues.

Koodo Mobile: Network & Owned by Telus: complaints re: customer support, billing & connectivity issues.

Lucky Mobile: Network & Owned by Bell: complaints: bad in general.

PC Mobile: Network: Bell / Owned by Loblaws/Bell: complaints re: customer service, billing & connectivity issues.

For those of you who have the time & patience to do more research, these are just a few of many sites available. I chose these because of their engagement with a wide demographic, allowing for a better picture overall.

BBB – Cansumer – cellphones.ca – Reddit – Trustpilot Reviews

KimOChi

For people who say they're moving... please please say where you're going to and which plan you're taking? I'd like to know so I can switch too. Thank you!

KimOChi

For people who say they're moving, can you please say where you're going to? And which plan you're taking? I'd like to know. Thank you!

@Wolfcore and @edeepm you are over reading into that.   That is @J_PM way of acknowledging that they have read the post.  That is the way it works in our Oracle area as well.  This notifies us that they have read the message.  It isn't laughing at customers at all.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It was amazing before Telus took over. It was a company that actually listened to their customers, and gave us something fresh. There was no other company like PM. Just felt like a real community. I recommended these guys to everyone I could. I can't even tell you how many conversations I had with people who'd say "public mobile? Ugh, their prices sound great, but I'm afraid about bad reception", and then I'd explain how they run on Telus towers, and they're no different than any of the big guys in that sense.

But yeah, add-ons didn't expire, it felt good to build towards something over time (loyalty rewards), community was tight knit and always helped each other out with problems, etc. Was just a unique experience that you'd never felt with any other telecom company before. 

tanyaluke1

This change is totally unfair.  Right now I get $6.00 off of my bill a month with the old rewards.  I get $2.00 off a month right now for having my bill go automatically on my visa, $1.00 off for 1 friend renewal and $3.00 off for being with PM for 3 years.  I always looked forward to the lower bill each month and now you are forcing me into the new reward program that Will Not give me a reward if $6.00 a month.  Not a wise choice fur Public Mobile to do to their long time, loyal customers.  I will be keeping my eyes open for a better plan elsewhere.  Very disappointed with PM.

surj1

This is totally wrong forcing loyal customers to unilaterally switch their  long earned rewards programs with credits that are superior to the new rewards programs. I along with others will be summitting a complaint to CCTS as Public Mobile had clearly stated (in the past) that exiting rewards members would stay on the original rewards program. Also if all fails I along with numerous others would be saying good bye to Public Mobile as there are better offers else where.

@edeepm wrote:

@J_PMleft a bravo/thumbs up on my message complaining that @J_PM ignored my direct message? Is that supposed to be funny?

From my interactions with J_PM on the oracle forum, I believe that her bravo was meant to acknowledge that she has read your post.  Not as a taunt.

From my understanding, Public mobile has decided not to comment on the announcement thread at the present time. Whatever is said on this thread has been passed up the chain.  Not sure when PM will respond.  

Kydd

How was the reception Before Telus took over?

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Been like this for a while now. Once Telus took over, it's been downhill since. Anything the benefits the consumer even slightly, is slowly being stripped away in favour of profits for the company.

@Jp21 wrote:

Got the email about the free data add on that expires. That is not a perk when I am on an unlimited data plan? Also, since when do data add ons expire at PM?

@Jp21 

Regular data add ons started having expiry dates (30 days) from spring 2023 (? May).  

According to PM, your unlimited data plan would still benefit from the data bonus add on.  If you go over your plan data allotment, you will not need to use unlimited "slow" throttled data, your data bonus add on should kick in and you should continue to have normal speed data. 

Robbwell

So the deal was that if we stay with PM, after one year we get $1 off and so on until $5 .... but when we achieve this, it is taken away. Like being good all your life to get to heaven only to fine the gate closed.

orbomn

Tell me you're improving my customer experience without telling me you're charging me more for the same entry-level account features...

Jp21

Got the email about the free data add on that expires. That is not a perk when I am on an unlimited data plan? Also, since when do data add ons expire at PM?

dariovitale

I clicked on the link you provided but it just redirects me to the long list of comments in PM's advisory post. Can you please give the link to officially file a complaint?

dariovitale

What is CCTS?

Need Help? Let's chat.