Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,600 REPLIES 5,600

@JennalynnFlesch, you are correct.  Each customer must contact PM customer service directly through the trouble ticket system to follow the proper procedures for a CCTS complaint.  I don't think just making a post with a statement in here would be accepted as contacting customer service to find a solution to the issue.  So you are on the right way forward

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ATHENS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes it's obvious that your conclusion is correct. -----------As I sometimes jokingly say – Recent inexperienced community college 3 month course graduates making stupid decisions.

JennalynnFlesch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have begun a conversation with PM customer service manager Alexander, regarding this apparent change being forced on legacy users.  Here is my message to PM, (maybe everyone needs to begin with letting PM know we will not accept this change directly to Customer service); 

Good morning Alexander, 

I need to ask you to please clarify for me how this 'New Rewards Points' program will or will not affect my account.  I have the following agreement with PM, I get 1$ off my bill monthly for each year I have been with PM (Loyalty reward).  To this date that is $3, this June will be $4.  That means I should then have $4 off my bill monthly, as of June, 2024, for loyalty.  I get $3 off my bill for the 3 friends I signed up to PM monthly. I also get $2 off my bill monthly for autopay, as per PM.  So, for my regular bill of $25 per month, I get $8 dollars off per month= $17/month currently.  As of June, the bill should be $16/month.  

Please note that I do not agree to lose these rewards. They were promised by PM and I expect them to be honored moving forward.  Please advise, in detail that this will remain the case.

Should this become as issue for me as for many, many PM users, I will not likely be the only one filing a new complaint with the CCTS.

Thank you for getting back to me,

666Deicide

The friend savings are negated by the better price. Most of my rewards will disappear as most of my referrals are still on the old Rewards and will be leaving as well.

RevCo17

Please forward and add that you do not agree to these forced changes if you are impacted. The more exposure, allows more chance for CHANGE! Petition signed. 

Resources for help:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/

Pierre

Sad news for legacy customers like me... talk about a retention plan !!! 

dariovitale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is not beneficial to the customers. Only beneficial to the company which they will regret as customers will be leaving. 

TECHRANG3R

Can someone explain to me this statement:

TECHRANG3R_0-1710337740406.png

How is the change to the new reward system providing "the best possible value to our subscribers"?  Previously, the old system would apply rewards automatically to the cost of my base service, providing me those extra dollars to purchase any services/add-ons I wanted.  Are there any services/add-ons that I can only purchase with points?  How is this adding extra flexibility? Also, as we discussed - the old reward system provided us more rewards(autopay, loyalty).  How does reducing/removing those rewards provide the subscribers "the best possible value"?  Isn't this an outright incorrect statement and a fraudulent claim?

These are the points I am making in my complaint and what I will raise with CCTS.

Thatsnasty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Pretty disgusting masking a price increase as "new rewards", then force everyone who has been here and brought new customers in, onto it.
Who actually wants to login in here and spend their worse rewards, do you not value client's time at all?
With crappy business decisions like this, no wonder Telus' stock has dropped 30% in the last few years.

micagagne

Fizz is not available in the maritimes, but PC mobile looks interesting....

dariovitale

What **bleep**ing bull**bleep** customer treatment right down to the dollar / month when comparing the old legacy plan to the new points system that came out 2+ yrs ago. WE THE OLD CUSTOMERS were given the choice by TELUS to choose whether to switch to the new points program of not. WE SELECTED NOT TOO. Now TELUS, who made the agreement with us not too so long as we remain customers is now breaking that agreement which WILL result in switching to another provider. CANCEL THE OLD REWARDS PLAN = CUSTOMERS LEAVING PM = PM LESS REVENUE = RETARDED MANAGEMENT. 

Nikita4ever

I have been with public since 2013!  We love the old reward system.  Changing now would mean I lose the reward system. We are 6 people with public.   Giving us a reward that expire in 150 days to replace this reward system is ridiculous.   So if public mobile wants to charge super expensive and take away reward system that made it better the. Competition, I will move to fizz. At least it's cheaper and data rolls over to another month.   

Good bye public. I really vouched for you over the years. 

Public_Cust_17

To that point... PM is rewarding it's customers that can afford an expensive plan and shafting anyone on the lower cost plans with this % of bill rewards. So basically anyone who would be on a fixed budget like seniors or someone who barely gets by on what they make every month.. so disgusting!! I for one plan on complaining to the ccts and the crtc  https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/ and hope everyone else upset by this forced increase in cost does the same. 

JimRockford_PI

$161! I am missing something. I am only paying $15 a month. What kind of plan are you on for such an exorbitant monthly fee? 

hi @666Deicide , but check if you have any friend referrals saving monthly and do the math before you go.  You will still get the friend saving 

hi @Beacher_Mich 

so, you have some friend referrals saving as well?? the friend referrals is staying , at least

hi @DrPublic , yes, many unhappy legacy subscribers here 😞

DrPublic

Terrible. Very disappointed long time customers here. We will not forget and we will not forgive. We’ll search for alternatives unless this new direction is changed. 
This is insulting, trying to sell us an inferior subscription as an improvement. 

ATHENS

PM subscribers = $$$$$$

ATHENS

The new PM app has a direct link to customer service.  Wonder how that would affect this forum?

Matty1234

I've already purchased a sim for Fizz, their deals here in BC are pretty good right now - they're liable to change but they're upfront with that as it's in beta testing

just_retired

The old Rewards were what attracted me to PM in the first place, as it differentiated them from the other providers. I wasn’t looking for the best or fastest, I just wanted a fair, reliable service at a decent cost as I too was moving to a fixed income. I was pleased with the Rewards so I signed up for 3 accounts for myself and family. I would have liked to see wifi calling availability as cell reception in my home is poor, however I figured we could live without it considering the money we were saving with the old Rewards.

Now that these Rewards are going to be replaced with much inferior Points, it’s going to cost us more so when May comes I’ll be looking at moving our accounts to other providers. Like others have said, it’s been a good run with PM. 

onk

This is the most out of touch worst decision I’ve seen Public Mobile make. I’m actually going to swap providers and take all my family with me if this goes through. 

oh and thanks for the 30GB of bonus data THAT EXPIRES. I use less than 1.5GB a month. Am I going to use the rest of the 28.5 spamming these forums over trash points? Guess so. 

666Deicide

As a customer since 2016, I actively bragged about how good the plans were when the Rewards program is taken into account, and I've had a few referrals over the years.  I was very dissapointed when it was discontinued for new users, but like many, it didn't affect me, so I didn't feel the need to comment.  When that change happened, I essentially stopped telling people about Public. I no longer saw the benefit in choosing Public over other carriers.

Unfortunately, it seems, I've put too much trust in Public Mobile. While I intended to remain with Public Mobile due to the great experience I've had with the Rewards program, I have zero interest in continuing to be a customer under the new Points program. I don't want flexibility or contests or any other junk. A short term boost in data, isn't of benefit, and is nothing but a hollow jesture, as myself, like most people, already subscribe to a data plan that meets their needs.

This feels like a slap in the face to someone that has been around for just shy of 8 years. What hits harder than anything, is my latest phone purchase this year was centered around compatibility with Public, and affordability due to needing to buy it outright without contract. I could have come very close to my current phone bill without needing to pay several hundred dollars up front. I now heavily regret my decision to continue with Public Mobile, and had I seen this betrayal coming, I wouldn't have.

Unless this decision is reversed, I will be leaving and taking my family to another carrier.

Beacher_Mich

This is upsetting indeed. Both my husband and I have been with PM for a very long time and save a total of $125.40 / annually as a result of that loyalty. We are seniors on a fixed income and work hard to keep down our expenses. How do I get a fair exchange for this rewards program switch. Feels a bit like unfair business practice to me. I will be submitting my complaints to CCTS. 

micagagne

I'm very sorry you're doing this to us, we will be loosing a lot on this move and the "bonus data" is WORTHLESS to me as I will never use it.  I guess I had a good run with Public Mobile, but I will be checking other providers.  I have 4 lines with you.  I guess you do not care about loyalty from your customers.

eJonavin

We can't be too specific or our posts will get deleted.  Looks at reddit and redflagdeals for some input. Get some freedom and set yourself free.

Mobilemech

What happened to rewarding customers for loyalty? I'll be filling a complaint with the CCTS and checking CRTC regulations to see if you can legally port customers. This is essentially changing a grandfathered plan.

Every customer affected by this will be paying more. Your points program is terrible by comparison which is why legacy users have not switched. If I leave, my referrals, who are on the points program, will be leaving as well.

You offer the same 10 points to users who have been subscribed for 1-year as those subscribed for 10?! That's a whole $0.83 per month, whoopee.

Thanks for nothing. This is the same greedy cash grab that caused me to cancel Netflix and never look back.

I encourage all users affected by this to contact the CCTS AND the CRTC. The CRTC has rules against changing grandfathered plans and this is directly tied to your plan. I'm sure a skilled lawyer could win a class action in this case.

Dan13773

As a long time customer I am very upset that PM is forcing us to the new public points system, while at the same time trying to pawn it off as better than the original points system. Giving us a "gift" of data that expires and that not everyone can use is a slap in the face.

Please everyone file a complaint with the CCTS (just search CCTS it'll be the first link that pops up.) If enough people file complaints PM may be forced to reverse their decision. 

"Back in 2018, when Public Mobile tried to increase the price of its $120/12GB 90-day plan, customers complained to the CCTS, filing over 1600 complaints in days, according to the later sharing details with iPhone in Canada. Telus ended up reversing the price increase."

Need Help? Let's chat.