Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,521 REPLIES 5,521

Sudso
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wow.

This is a huge dissapointment. I know PM is a greedy corporation but for some reason I had expected more and better from them. I've been a long time subscriber, somewhere around 10 years I'd imagine, and I always thought I had a pretty good deal with them when you factored in the rewards. That good deal is now going to become a good deal worse, so I guess it's time to look elsewhere. I can't even take advantage of any of their better deals, because they're only available to new subscribers. The reality is, I suppose, we really should be bouncing around to the best deal possible and actually be good consumers. I think Canadians may spend too much time giving money to one corporation or another just because it's too much bother to switch. Well not this Canadian. It's time to go shopping, so far Fizz is looking like a pretty good option!

Happy Hunting!

ridgeline

I see that @J_PM from Public Mobile has been silent and not responding to any of the concerns raised by subscribers since this announcement was issued almost one week ago.  They replied to concerns raised in the February 2022 announcement for the new Public Points program, but for some reason not here.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not only that, but they appear to offer a lot more in terms of the long-term, with their level-up system. Also have upgrades, free bonus data every month, a referral system that gives a bonus + points, etc. They feel like what PM used to be. 

TECHRANG3R

I have been a Publicmobile customer since nearly the beginning.  The concept made a lot of sense to me, a no-frills mobility service at a reasonable price... Word of mouth instead of advertising... Reward loyalty... All of which was logical and fair... But now the foundation of what provides all of those benefits, the reward system that encourages those traits has been replaced and essentially reduced with less reward value, increasing the level of effort to claim and reducing the value received, not to mention, with those changes I can't honestly recommend the service any longer in good conscience!  We have 3 accounts in my household and now we will search for a different provider where basically I can pay the same amount for service yet also receive the customer service to go with it.  Honestly Publicmobile, you took a novel, fair idea to provide low maintenance customers some value and ruined it to squeeze a few more dollars and essentially lose  a large part of your customer base!

hi @Matty1234 

follow your wallet 🙂

Matty1234

Thanks for this, they look like a great deal. 

Wolfcore

Public Mobile (Telus), literally funds the CCTS. We get texts from them all the time, asking if we have complaints. Them removing these posts would just be silly. Even their own Oracles are directing us to CCTS.

As for them streamlining systems, that's just an excuse. Them grandfathering in old users would not be an issue for them technically. It's literally just about making more money (despite having one of their most profitable years on record). If it weren't about money, don't you think they'd want to save all of these customers that they're losing?  Wouldn't they want to avoid paying out all of these CCTS fees? Avoid all of the negative attention and hit to their reputation? If it were just about "streamlining", they would find another way to fix it, in order to avoid all of this. 

As for saying "they could have just removed it completely", yeah, but I don't give them credit for that. That's like the government making your cost of living jump by thousands of dollars, to the point where you can't afford to live or eat, and then thanking them when they send you a one-time $50 cheque. They shouldn't have done what they did in the first place, it's just a slap to your face at that point. 

ATHENS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Michael6666 wrote:

That's not correct. 

Fizz offers up to 6$ off per month based on loyalty.

Also, data rollover for 2 additional billing cycles and sharing with other users

Thank you - I stand corrected.

Matty1234

Have the agree with many of the other replies here. There will keep going until the discounts end and switching to another provider, I've seen plenty of decent deals and don't like this process of giving one deal and just pulling it away. 

ATHENS

Glad that it all worked out to your advantage - but please don't make yet another mistake by porting and closing  this seldom used plan that you have until you used up all your points. That would be like burning money.

Michael6666

That's not correct. 

Also, data rollover for 2 additional billing cycles and sharing with other users

public_999
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In hindsight maybe I should be thanking Public Mobile?  One of the 2 lines I have with Public is simply to retain an old landline number that is virtually unused. The occasional call received on it is forwarded to my main line which is not with Public.  It currently costs me $67.80 per year to  maintain that old number under the existing reward program but once the new point system comes into effect my annual cost will increase to $158.48.  Not being comfortable with this increased cost just to maintain an old number I decided to look around for other options and have figured I can accomplish the same objective by porting the number to a competitor and the total cost per year will be only $28.25 so for me this is a win lol!  Thanks Public Mobile, I would never have even thought about exploring other options if it weren't for your greed!!

ATHENS

@Wolfcore wrote:

Yes, they are helping people on this forum by sharing this information. Lots of people have asked for it.

YES ...but you must give credit to PM for not deleting these - anti PM -- posts. Also just maybe have we considered that PM may be streamlining their  system to only one instead of two reward systems. Maybe getting point-dollar rewards is not so bad considering -they could have just done away with rewards completely - and that would be legal  - - as far as I am aware --- other providers don't offer any kick backs.

Thank you - I stand corrected.

public_999

In hindsight maybe I should be thanking Public Mobile?  One of the 2 lines I have with Public is simply to retain an old landline number that is virtually unused. The occasional call received on it is forwarded to my main line which is not with Public.  It currently costs me $67.80 per year to  maintain that old number under the existing reward program but once the new point system comes into effect my annual cost will increase to $158.48.  Not being comfortable with this increased cost just to maintain an old number I decided to look around for other options and have figured I can accomplish the same objective by porting the number to a competitor and the total cost per year will be only $28.25 so for me this is a win lol!  Thanks Public Mobile, I would never have even thought about exploring other options if it weren't for your greed!!

TrevorS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just wanted to add my voice to the long list of people lamenting the loss of the old rewards program.  I was on the base $15 plan and through auto pay, loyalty, and referrals, I was able to get my bill down to $4. With the new rewards plan, my bill will likely be $9, at least until my referrals leave PM. I know $15 is negligible compared to most plans (from PM and other providers), though my referrals and (past) positive word of mouth, I hope counts for something.  I urge PM to stay true to its loyal customers and allow long term customers to stay grandfathered into the original rewards plan.

smp1

You're trying to spin what is really just an outrageous price hike. I've started my search for a new provider today.

Anonymous63

"As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program." - If I understand correctly, your commitment is to continuously evolve your products and services for something nobody asked for, and of less value to your clients?

"To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty" - To show that, you will remove our loyalty and auto-pay discount for effectively something way worst? We don't want useless expiring data bonus, that it not how you show your appreciation for our continued loyalty.

"We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward." - We don't want that. We didn't ask for that. Don't sugercoat this downgrade by saying we're your valued subscribers. Why would we be excited to go in our account every other month to apply a point discount, when we didn't have to do that firsthand and it was applied automaticaly?

The only thing Public Mobile (Telus) is excited for is making more money, you don't care about your subscribers.

ON4EKE_

So many long time customers are so furious with the change, they create new profiles to vent their dissatisfaction.

Prior to them announcing the change, besides encountering issues with the service, there was no reason to have a community forum account. Many of my referrals don't participate in the forums at all.. their payments and rewards were automatically applied and had no reason to contact the company.

ON4EKE_

Useless for low tier plans that don't use data, how much can a voice/text plan really cost the company?

Wolfcore

Yes, they are helping people on this forum by sharing this information. Lots of people have asked for it.

ATHENS

@Ryence01 wrote:

I have filed my CCTS complaint and would encourage anyone else concerned to do the same.  For anyone considering it took less than 10 minutes and my complaint has already been accepted by the CCTS.  I filed it as a billing complaint as this decision by PM will significantly increase our monthly charges.   PM now has 20 days under the CCTS process to respond to my complaint and I will use that time to research my options for new providers if PM does not reverse their decision. 

CCTS Complaint Submission Form

You're posting on the PM help forum and providing a link to CCTS asking members to complain about PM converting your dollar rewards to dollar point rewards?  ----------------The more I think about it it's not such a big deal - AS I posted earlier --- I have reduced my plan down to the $15 plan and expect to have a few month free by using points. I have also taken advantage of this change by asking and getting a better 5G deal from another provider just because I switched to them . I'm sitting pretty and posting just to get even more points by the helping others rewards.

public_999

Actually just got a new notification and the number of users that responded is less than yesterday so definately something wrong with the count in my opinion

Patrick_PM

Sorry to hear you mistakenly switched over to the new points reward system. 

They make it sound like it is better but if you do your own analysis, it becomes evident it is actually inferior.

public_999

I think the counter is turned off because I have not received an updated notication since yesterday

Ryence01

I have filed my CCTS complaint and would encourage anyone else concerned to do the same.  For anyone considering it took less than 10 minutes and my complaint has already been accepted by the CCTS.  I filed it as a billing complaint as this decision by PM will significantly increase our monthly charges.   PM now has 20 days under the CCTS process to respond to my complaint and I will use that time to research my options for new providers if PM does not reverse their decision. 

CCTS Complaint Submission Form

Global816

By mistakenly i opted out of old reward system to new one last year in November. I am with PM for over 10 years. Before i used to make $8 every month now $2 every month. PM is now behaving like rest of service providers. To weigh in more in profits this is well understood move by PM

PogoM

Not very happy about this. You do not say what the "special thank you" might be, but other sites indicate that it will be a data top up. I already have more data than I ever come close to using. A gift of more will not be a gift it will be a burden.

ATHENS

What other accounts? I have this account since grade 5 - for some strange reason this EverSafe thing changed my info and now shows 2023 - Maybe this may have caused your confusion?    Also  you must have missed my point as explained in my post --------It is obviously wise not port and close your PM account in order to be able to  take advandage of your point $$$. Also by keeping your existing number it will allow you to update to your new number on  your banking - cards etc.

Wolfcore

Only 244? If true, that's amazing. Do you understand how large that number is? Do you know what it takes to actually convince the average person to make an account just to post on a forum? What's more important are the amount of views. Most people will just read posts, and if the people making those posts are saying what they want to say, then they won't chime in. They let those people fight the battle for them.

In comparison, the thread from the 2018 fiasco has less posts overall, and we can assume a similar amount of individual people posting (despite being open for far longer), and that resulted in 1600 CCTS complaints? This tells you that most people won't even bother wasting their time posting here, but rather, will take their fight directly to the proper governing bodies. The end result of the 2018 situation? PM ended up reversing their decision. 

Anyway, we're clearly on track to this being far worse than 2018 (technically may already be), so we'll see how it plays out. 

Need Help? Let's chat.