Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,050 REPLIES 5,050

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The 2018 decision was very simple. Of course they had these very same lines in their terms of service. Companies always have them. But guess what they also told their customers? This very same line that Dave Maclean, the gm of PM, said at the time of reversal: "we said no surprises, but we surprised them".

Truth is, the pressure became too much. Far too many CCTS complaints (costing them money), far too much negative press and damage to reputation, etc. He could have very well said "sure, we told them no surprises, but if they just read the terms of service, they can clearly see that we can do what we want". But he didn't say this, why? Because terms of service only matters so long as you can quell the outrage.

PogoM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not very happy about this. You do not say what the "special thank you" might be, but other sites indicate that it will be a data top up. I already have more data than I ever come close to using. A gift of more will not be a gift it will be a burden.

ATHENS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What other accounts? I have this account since grade 5 - for some strange reason this EverSafe thing changed my info and now shows 2023 - Maybe this may have caused your confusion?    Also  you must have missed my point as explained in my post --------It is obviously wise not port and close your PM account in order to be able to  take advandage of your point $$$. Also by keeping your existing number it will allow you to update to your new number on  your banking - cards etc.

Wolfcore

Only 244? If true, that's amazing. Do you understand how large that number is? Do you know what it takes to actually convince the average person to make an account just to post on a forum? What's more important are the amount of views. Most people will just read posts, and if the people making those posts are saying what they want to say, then they won't chime in. They let those people fight the battle for them.

In comparison, the thread from the 2018 fiasco has less posts overall, and we can assume a similar amount of individual people posting (despite being open for far longer), and that resulted in 1600 CCTS complaints? This tells you that most people won't even bother wasting their time posting here, but rather, will take their fight directly to the proper governing bodies. The end result of the 2018 situation? PM ended up reversing their decision. 

Anyway, we're clearly on track to this being far worse than 2018 (technically may already be), so we'll see how it plays out. 

public_999

We don't know what the 2018 update was though.  For all we know they added in the blurb giving them the right to change all Rewards in which case, those that enrolled prior to that date were operating under a different set of terms and conditions.  All supposition though which is why posting terms and conditions in this manner and then editing them without reference to what is changing is .....stupid?

Patrick_PM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Offering data bonus is pointless if the client is already on an unlimited data plan. Public Mobile will first use data in your plan before using the data add-ons. So if you are on a unlimited data plan, this means the data bonus will never be used prior to it's expiry. This is to give the perception Public Mobile is softening the blow of migrating us to an inferior reward system but they really aren't providing much to us at all.

MWalsh14

@AveragePerson wrote:

So just to confirm, we lose the $2 autopay and $5 loyalty bonuses?

My question exactly. For me that would mean a 36% price increase. Why does PM have to put out a BS announcement about switching us to the wonderful Points program that we already turned down because it's useless, and then pussyfoot around what it really means without saying so clearly?

"We're not getting enough money from you cheapskates, so we're cancelling your existing benefits including the existing prepay and loyalty discounts that we previously promised you could keep if you remained a customer. If you don't like it, bye-bye and good riddance."

Oh well, some of the competitive options suddenly looks a lot better. 

@colleeno wrote:

Just a question about this. → When I see in my notifications (that you and 243 others have replied to this thread), does that mean that there are only 244 unique users who have commented multiple times to bring the thread count to almost 1500?

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.07.18 PM.png

@colleeno probably, many posts by the same people in the thread as it usually is.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

colleeno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just a question about this. → When I see this in my notifications (that you and 243 others have replied to this thread), does that mean that there are only 244 unique users who have commented multiple times to bring the thread count to almost 1500?

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.07.18 PM.png

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire
@ATHENS wrote:

If you're unhappy with the change -----Why not do as I and others  have done just finding another provider? I have used this to my advantage by calling another provider and asking that I would switch if they gave me a better deal ---😀- and in my case they did.😀 -------------------For now I have switched my PM plan down to the $15 plan and waiting to see what their point compensation will be and plan to use it up. -------------It is obviously wise not port and close your PM account in order to be able to  take advandage of your point $$$. Also by keeping your existing number it will allow you to update to your new number on  your banking - cards etc.

but @ATHENS  , you and your many other accounts have been talking about leaving, you are still here after all these time.. LoL

ATHENS

If you're unhappy with the change -----Why not do as I and others  have done just finding another provider? I have used this to my advantage by calling another provider and asking that I would switch if they gave me a better deal ---😀- and in my case they did.😀 -------------------For now I have switched my PM plan down to the $15 plan and waiting to see what their point compensation will be and plan to use it up. -------------It is obviously wise not port and close your PM account in order to be able to  take advandage of your point $$$. Also by keeping your existing number it will allow you to update to your new number on  your banking - cards etc.

@Patrick_PM wrote:

The complaints are getting noticed ... 🤔

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/11/public-mobile-users-protest-rewards-cut-ccts/

I would bet the author is in this community, and is watching this thread grow

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore

Yes, and in that very same post, they make a promise that your rewards will remain as long as you remain an active Public Mobile customer. So you tell me, what takes precedence? 

Also, what does "change" mean? It's very vague. To me, I read that as, they have the right to change the plan moving forward, not that they have the right to get rid of everything that you've earned up until that point. If this is not what they meant, then that just means that they shamelessly and openly lied in one sentence, and then tried to counteract that in the next. I've seen false advertising cases lost for less. If not a lie, the English language tells us that those two sentences can co-exist at the same time, and not apply to each other (which is what myself and others read that as).

Regardless, this honestly doesn't even matter at this point. There's no need for you to try and protect the multibillion dollar company. Let people voice their outrage, and we'll see how it plays out. They performed their actions, and now there are consequences that will follow. If nothing changes, oh well. At least their reputation will be completely destroyed moving forward, and that's a win for all consumers.

mikasik2

@colleeno wrote:

I found this on posted originally on the Community Page in 2015 and updated in 2018.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 11.47.15 AM.png

download.png

colleeno

Exactly! Do what’s best for you.

ili_pop

An unwritten policy: Customers reserve the right to change providers without advance notice!

ATHENS

@Ryence01 wrote:

Like many of the users posting here I am a long-time subscriber and also someone who convinced numerous family members and friends to switch to Public Mobile.   I am unhappy with the crass decision to end the rewards program that made PM worthwhile.   I will file a CCTS complaint and I will vote with my wallet by finding a new provider for our mobile service if PM does not reverse this terrible decision. 

Don't understand as to why you would waste your time by filing complaints etc all the while still wanting to stay with PM. Why not as I and others  have done just finding another provider? I have used this to my advantage by calling another provider and asking that I would switch if they gave me a better deal ---😀- and in my case they did.😀 For now I have switched my PM plan down to the $15 plan and waiting to see what their point compensation will be and plan to use it up. -------------It is obviously wise not port and close your PM account in order to be able to  take advandage of your point $$$. Also by keeping your existing number it will allow you to update to your new number on  your banking - cards etc.

colleeno

I found this posted originally on the Community Page in 2015 and updated in 2018.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 11.47.15 AM.png

ili_pop

I don't want points.  I want a discount that lowers my monthly bill immediately.  This is a bad decision.  Please reverse it, or I will be going to the CCTS, and if that does not work, I will be leaving, along with three members of my family.  Yes, you have a right to change your rewards program, but we have a right to change providers.  Thanks for a good 5 years!

edmensah

Exactly! They have no clue. Why not consult the PM community. This change is outrageous.

Wolfcore

These terms and conditions apply to the new points system, which is why it mentions points, so it's irrelevant. With the old system, their wording was a lot more vague, and they outright told us that our loyalty and referral rewards, would remain as long as we continued to have an active account.

ili_pop

Yes, they can change their Rewards Program, but we can change our service provider!

mikasik2

@colleeno wrote:

You’ll have to do a deep dive on the internet and look for the Terms and Conditions for their original program. Check the T&Cs for any rewards or points program in existence with any company. You will see that they always have a clause stating that they can terminate the program with notice. 

staticcory_0-1709944676592.png

You may well be right but so far all I've seen (and recall) is this sort of rhetoric when initially reading about PM's reward program

Ryence01

Like many of the users posting here I am a long-time subscriber and also someone who convinced numerous family members and friends to switch to Public Mobile.   I am unhappy with the crass decision to end the rewards program that made PM worthwhile.   I will file a CCTS complaint and I will vote with my wallet by finding a new provider for our mobile service if PM does not reverse this terrible decision. 

ili_pop

Yes, they can change their Rewards Program, but we can change our service provider!

colleeno

You’ll have to do a deep dive on the internet and look for the Terms and Conditions for their original program. Check the T&Cs for any rewards or points program in existence with any company. You will see that they always have a clause stating that they can terminate the program with notice. 

edsou

This is also why I first posted here.  I also expressed my opinions in a ticket.  Now that CS_Agent has replied to my ticket and told me that PM doesn't really care if we leave or not I will proceed with the CCTS complaint as well.

mikasik2

@colleeno wrote:

The image states “Public Mobile Rewards” in the header. I don’t have anything else to explain except to state that I incorrectly used the term “Points” in my original post which I have now corrected.

I see that but its the TOS for the newer points program and it shouldn't retroactively apply to the original rewards program

colleeno

The image states “Public Mobile Rewards” in the header. I don’t have anything else to explain except to state that I incorrectly used the term “Points” in my original post which I have now corrected.

Need Help? Let's chat.