Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,469 REPLIES 5,469

FuzzyFish
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Terrible. Public Points sucks, do better. If this is the loyalty shown to long time customers, I have no loyalty for this company and I'll actively look at other providers from now on. 

ninjastar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I switched to PC Mobile today. The first time in 7 years I could actually speak to someone over the phone and pay $29 instead of $50. 

Tinop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So true , such a slow app and web site. I will be saying good by to Public mobile and Telus home services.  Don't be fooled this new rewards program isn't that good.

PBForMe1

If I'm going to pay more I might as well switch to a provider with real support and a website that actually works. 

Trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me a month and your website portal won't even load the account details. Typical. 

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If I interpret PM’s FAQ response correctly, the bonus data from prior years’ would carryover.  See link to FAQ in the original post by PM up top.

I still have leftover rewards from the old program that I want to use - do I lose these rewards?

No, you won’t lose any leftover rewards from the old program. Any credits earned up to May 2024 will remain on your account and be applied to your future bills

Shan_Bhai

So, the $2 autopay reward has been removed, and the 6 years of loyalty for $6 is no longer available. You now receive a $1 discount through loyalty inn points. Additionally, there used to be a $1 discount for referrals. Is that referral discount also gone?
Due to inadequate customer support and subpar infrastructure allocation by Public Mobile, I’ve decided to switch providers within a month. When I reached out to them to enable VoLTE, they lacked the expertise to do so. Interestingly, when I tested my phone on Freedom Mobile, it worked flawlessly.

@MrToad wrote:

The bootlicker Oracles are here to tell you not to file CCTS complaints because they cost Public Mobile money! The Loyalty rewards are bait-and-switch tactics; you should make a complaint if you feel you have been misled.

I feel these tactics and the one previously made in 2018 warrant a complaint to the CCTS and in both of my complaints the CCTS has deemed them warranted as they have sent this current one off to PM for clarification.

Don't listen to the Oracles in this thread, do what is best for you!

@MrToad Does this sound like I am saying not to file CCTS?  Do I not start off by saying everyone must do what is best for them financially?

Re: Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program - Page 84 - Community (publicmobile.ca)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Michael6666 wrote:

Your logic is flawed. 

Autopay, I agree, change it whenever. There is no time aspect to that benefit. 

Referrals, wouldn't make sense to remove the 1$ per month as that is what is agreed upon when I worked on getting someone to join. It's already murky waters to convert to a point instead that can be devalued anytime. The promise was 1$ off per month as long as the person is a customer. 

Loyalty on the other hand is implicitly a long term agreement. Doesn't make sense to remove it whenever you please. What stops any company from simply making promises like, stay with us for 5 years and get 50% off in the sixth year. And after 4 years they just say, oops too bad, changed our minds?

Not my fault that public mobile used to care about loyalty and customer retention.

I remain adamant that a CCTS complaint is valid.

I also believe in voting with my wallet and will change provider once this change becomes irreversible. 

@Michael6666 I have always said people should follow their wallet for the best deals.  It is obvious that legacy rewards are costing PM a lot of money with the activity in this thread.  I am sure they have done the planning and projecting of how many people will leave.  We are still seeing a lot of people signing up DAILY all on the new points system which is costing PM a fraction of what the legacy rewards do.  If there wasn't the growth in subscribers I can't see PM doing this change at this time.  They obviously feel that it wouldn't take long to replace the discounted value of the Legacy rewards with new customers.

I haven't said don't file a CCTS complaint but there are rewards programs with so many companies and they get changed or altered all the time.  Plus again I have never read or heard any PM employee say we could keep the legacy rewards forever, like they said in 2016 ont eh Fall Promo that our price would never increase as long as we were subscribed to that plan.

Most of my family and referrals are actually on cheaper plans than when they started with PM and have maxed out rewards so  they are making less money than just the rewards for these long time customers.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ninjastar

Looks like Telus is pulling this stunt with their Koodo brand... Just boycott anything Telus. They don't deserve your hard earned dollars. 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/four-months-later-koodo-brings-6-price-increase-29-black-friday-plan...

MrToad

The bootlicker Oracles are here to tell you not to file CCTS complaints because they cost Public Mobile money! The Loyalty rewards are bait-and-switch tactics; you should make a complaint if you feel you have been misled.

I feel these tactics and the one previously made in 2018 warrant a complaint to the CCTS and in both of my complaints the CCTS has deemed them warranted as they have sent this current one off to PM for clarification.

Don't listen to the Oracles in this thread, do what is best for you!

Sandalwood1

Well said !!

Singh11
Yep stuck with PM for years and said I'd never switch. Now with this, I am jumping ship the first chance I get. This is not how you treat loyal customers!!!!!!

PopcornHead

Some of it depends on where you live. I am currently looking at going to Freedom or Fizz. 

SeniorCitizen

Move the concerns of losing the old rewards away to another media is a good idea.  
Posts here can be changed or be reassigned to lounge or hidden in “ unmoderated” posts. 

I am a senior and am tech savvy but find Reddit and Redflagdeals are too awkward and uncomfortable to use. 
I would join Facebook if there is a dedicated page that controlled by someone that  is a concerned customer. 

Without getting into a Telus squabble, I must mention that I have been a Telus customer for over 50 years. And since Jan of 2023 when they started the fibre install I hate Telus and would leave tomorrow. You can no longer get past the IVR. And if you do, you land in another country with a third party vendor that is incompetent (stupid) that has no customer service skills. And they will not transfer you back to Canada. I’m done! I can see why PM is going the way they are. 

But where do you go? Let’s face it…..towers are Bell, Telus, Rogers and some smaller company owned ones (Manitoba and ?). Telus, right now is losing to Rogers. 

Michael6666

Your logic is flawed. 

Autopay, I agree, change it whenever. There is no time aspect to that benefit. 

Referrals, wouldn't make sense to remove the 1$ per month as that is what is agreed upon when I worked on getting someone to join. It's already murky waters to convert to a point instead that can be devalued anytime. The promise was 1$ off per month as long as the person is a customer. 

Loyalty on the other hand is implicitly a long term agreement. Doesn't make sense to remove it whenever you please. What stops any company from simply making promises like, stay with us for 5 years and get 50% off in the sixth year. And after 4 years they just say, oops too bad, changed our minds?

Not my fault that public mobile used to care about loyalty and customer retention.

I remain adamant that a CCTS complaint is valid.

I also believe in voting with my wallet and will change provider once this change becomes irreversible. 

dshartill

well this probably sucks.  Right now I have the $34 plan and have $10 rewards.  No idea what I will save with "points"  .  I'm a good shopper so I will leave for a better rate when I see one.  Freedom has $34 usa canada plans.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Too bad there is no 'thumbs down' on these comments.

Sandalwood1

"Received confirmation from CS Agent A******** that rewards customers will not be receiving 1 point per month of loyalty when migrating to the points program.  Makes a bad situation even worse."

WOW, That is awful... this just goes from bad to worse. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound for loyal legacy customers.  

I honestly can't see them rolling this back.  I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.  When this happened those customers were only getting $2 in loyalty now they are getting $5 which is costing PM more and if they are like me am on a cheaper plan than when I started on that plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extremely disappointed, I thought I witnessed PM's lowest in the last couple years, just to discover that I did not witness the worst of it. I certainly do not feel like I am locked here anymore.

@Michael6666 wrote:

CCTS is the way to go.

Structure the request as a change to the original agreement where the discounts were progressive.

They promised 5$ off per month after 5 years and then pulled it away for some after not even reaching 5 years. Clear bait and switch if you ask me. It was a discount program that attracted many of us. 

I also asked for 50$ credit if there is no way the discounts will be reinstated.

At least it will give me a few months of credit if anything.

Public mobile, don't make forward looking promises! It's a disgusting business practice and my CCTS will hopefully, at minimum, cost you some time, money and effort to compensate my loss. 

My future provider, fizz, actually refers to never increasing plan rates in their contract as long as I don't change plan, now that's a refreshing way to do business. 

I don't see anywhere that PM promised people these rewards?  They aren't even obligated to have them.  It meantions you can earn $1 off per month for every year you are with PM upto a max of $5 a month but this can be changed.  When there was the new points system created, it stated that "There are no plans to force people to change to the new points" That was 2 years ago and plans can change.  I have never read anywhere where it said we could stay on the old system for ever as long as we were PM customers like the similar comment of the Fall Promo Plan.

Yes I am an Oracle but this still does affect me and my family financially as well.  If you thought the legacy rewards would go on forever after they created the points system I think you were living in dream world.  I am not happy how this was handled, worded or rolled out but this is still the place that makes sense for my family to stay.  Once it no longer makes sense I will then be moving on.

GabrielJude

Not happy about this . Hope you guys reconsider 

@KM123 wrote:

Complaining is good, but.... can someone please post cost saving alternative services or refer a site where we can share alternatives to move away from Public Mobile? The real public needs to organize an Exodus.

I'm not a reddit user myself, but I'm sure there are groups there for this purpose. Or head over to RFD, there is a thread about this going in the cell phone subforum, and you can look for alternatives in Hot Deals.

Our group now has a rough strategy, but, this is only day three after the bombshell. Since all our plans still have a few days / weeks until renewal, we'll wait a bit before springing into action. I can't believe that the competion will just standby and not try to take as much advantage as possible of the mess Public Mobile has manuvered itself into with handling the inevitable so poorly.

Sandalwood1

I referred some people like you, some family members and friends, I am steaming mad at the lack of thought and judgment from PM and Telus. Was this lame change hammered out one Friday night at the bar on a napkin ? Just so so misguided and a total lack of forethought on what the response from customers would be. Absolutely no loyalty for new and old customers. I smell a change in the air !!

EdN

Received confirmation from CS Agent A******** that rewards customers will not be receiving 1 point per month of loyalty when migrating to the points program.  Makes a bad situation even worse.

Clintonian1

Search the posts for the word gong as in gong show. I have a link to reddit there. 

ily

This is good advice. Just sent a private message to CS_Agent about this. Let's see what they have to say.

gRANNY23

5+ YEAR MEMBER, will be taking my business elsewhere and reporting to CRTC. Thank you for not treating your loyal customers with any respect.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ninjastar 

It's a form of market cannibalism. The company is eating itself to gain short-term profit. Telus wants to remove a swathe of subscribers who're generally on the lowest-priced plans on the lowest-priced tier - or squeeze more revenue out of them by halting payouts - so that the remaining subscribers on generally higher-priced plans pull up the average revenue per subscriber (ARPU) at the next shareholder report. (Because you know that if Telus will gaslight its customers then it will also gaslight its shareholders. Yay, look at the numbers, we've "increased" our profits!)

Some of us will stay. Some (like me) will go. Some will eventually return. Some (like me) will stubbornly refuse to ever give Telus/etc another dime. Ever. And everyone who's dissatisfied will actively advise all their friends and family to avoid Public Mobile (Telus), instead of actively attempting to recruit referrals for Public Mobile, which is going to cost Public Mobile (Telus) more in the long run.

Telus accounting already knows exactly how much they're "losing" to Rewards. They know this is going to be an unpopular move which will stir up anger and resentment. They know they'll lose subscribers. I don't know the numbers but it's obvious their math suggests this is the best decision they can make - the question is whether this is solid math or just some ambitious managerial's bold cost-cutting idea to get a raise - and I can bet that if it's the latter then too many of us will leave, Telus will lose money, Public Mobile will be ruined forever, and somebody's gonna get fired. 

@Antonio_Almeida wrote:

I suggest you file a complaint with the CRTC/CCTS.

Customers should not be directed to the CRTC. They will not accept the complaint and will only say to contact the CCTS.

Need Help? Let's chat.