Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,434 REPLIES 5,434

dmbcanada1867
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yeah just crunched the numbers myself, looks like we will be looking elsewhere.   Used to promote PM to everyone but now cannot do so.  Telus messed this up just like Scotiabank messed up Tangerine/ING Direct

AlexS888
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Even if it was comparable I still wouldn't want to switch. I  have ADHD and it's way to stressful for me to have to either try and remember to apply points every month or get penalized with a higher bill

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dunkman wrote:

@Stelawrat wrote:

I've read all of the posts up to page 16... pretty sure no one has asked this so, can anyone please advise if customers located in Quebec will still receive the $5 off per month, or is this lost as well? 

Signed up in July '20 for a $35 plan (- $5 off QC location - $2 Auto pay - $3 Loyalty) = $25 per month currently. 

I've had a quick look at other providers & the choices are limited. When the enforced points system comes into effect, I'm leaning towards downgrading my plan to the one PM provides for $25 per month, meaning I'll lose 1 GB of data per month & forfeit the gift of 240 GB special bonus data. I'll get to keep all of my Add-Ons earned over the years = 6 GB data & 1500 minutes INTL Long Distance incl CA & US.

I really wish I could downgrade to the $24 per month plan, currently available for new activations only. I sincerely believe that if PM made that an option, it would compensate a bit for the loss of our legacy rewards, especially so if Quebec residents lose that $5 per month reduction. 

I can't imagine that the difference in what the two plans provide would have that great an impact on PM's bottom line. Making it available to everyone would restore a fair amount of the good will PM customers normally have for them. Currently it's being drained away by the enforced point system, combined with the restriction to this attractive plan.

@Stelawrat 

You actually should keep the ongoing $5/month discount as long as you don't change the original plan $35.  Yes, you will lose your loyalty and autopay rewards.  

If you are planning to change as described above, you will need to do it soon.  Some customers have already received the data bonus (ranging from 5GB top 240 GB).  Once you get the data bonus, if you change plan, your data bonus will be removed according to FAQ.  

I agree with you.  Making the $24 and $29 "new activation only" plans available to existing customers would be a positive step in helping with this transition.  Better than the offer of the data bonus for many customers. 

Aarrggg! 😲

I hope that you're wrong re: the $5 reduction as a Quebec resident.

As per PM's Service Terms, I've never received any notification, or warning, by email, text, or here on my account summary, that I could lose the reduction if I ever changed plans. When I joined PM, I understood that it was a defacto reduction for all Quebec residents, not plan specific.

It's quite possible that I misunderstood, hopefully not though. If I did, then that doubles my total monthly loss to $10.00. 

As described above, when I downgrade, I don't mind losing the 1 GB of data per month & forfeiting the gift of 240 GB special bonus data.

I do get to keep all of my Add-Ons earned over the years = 6 GB data & 1500 minutes INTL Long Distance incl CA & US though right? 

Stelawrat_0-1709920244747.png

EdN

You wrote

So I need some help understanding how things are changing and if it is worth staying. Been a member since 2018 and have the $25 1GB plan so have the following discounts

Loyalty (-$5)

Auto Pay (-$2)

Referrals ($1)

=$17 Pre Tax

Will I being paying full price now each month?

Right now you are receiving $60 per year loyalty, $24 per year autopay and $12 per year for referrals for a total of $96 per year. You are paying $17 per month for your plan.

Under the points program you will receive $10 per year loyalty, $15 per year autopay and $12 per year referral for a total of $37 per year.  You will be paying $22 per month for your plan.

You are losing $59 per year or almost $5 per month when you are forced to move to the point system at the end of April.

dicecube

Even better, leave by porting out and give them none of your business.

@dmbcanada1867 wrote:

So I need some help understanding how things are changing and if it is worth staying.   Been a member since 2018 and have the $25 1GB plan so have the following discounts

Loyalty (-$5)
Auto Pay (-$2)

Referrals ($1)

=$17 Pre Tax

You will be paying $25 + taxes per month.  

You will earn 1 point/month for your friend referral.  5% back on $25 will earn 1.25 point/month.  On each anniversary date on when you first signed up, you will get 10 loyalty points.  You will have to manually switch minimum 15 points for $15 credit to your account.  

Luschka

7 years I've been here ..... which now will only be 7 more days. I'm leaving.

Thanks for the kick in the pants to your loyal customer PM. Well done.

RAZOR_MARK

have been using PM for years but have to find another cheap provider now,

freedom prepaid seems a choice

AnnoyedByPublic

Yes, you might still get the $1 referral tho

dmbcanada1867

So I need some help understanding how things are changing and if it is worth staying.   Been a member since 2018 and have the $25 1GB plan so have the following discounts

Loyalty (-$5)
Auto Pay (-$2)

Referrals ($1)

=$17 Pre Tax

Pelbaxdar

I’ve been a customer for 10 years and I commented on the forum for the first time yesterday because of this issue.  What’s your point?

I’m signed up for cell service not a social club. It’s an indication of how strongly customers feel about this that so many are coming on to the forum for the first time to express their dismay. 

MandyJS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Please explain to me how I'm supposed to enjoy that expiring "240 GB bonus data" that's offered to "thank me for my continued loyalty" when I'm on a 50 GB plan with unlimited slow speed data, making data add-ons incompatible with my plan?

Signed, your loyal customer.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

YES...censorship is DEFINITELY happening in this forum. I have proof. Especially anything about contacting the head of PM or info supporting claims to the CRTC or CCTS.

Actually, there DEFINITELY IS censoring taking place.... I have proof, like anyone mentioning contacting the head of PM.

ninjastar

I just switched my first of 4 accounts to PC Mobile a few minutes ago. Don't care for US roaming....I assume I don't get charged from PM anymore since I can't get into my account to turn auto payment off? I was paying $50 - 11. Now I'm paying $29. 3 more accounts to swap over tonight plus all my friends and family I take with me this weekend. This was literally theft by PM. Imagine you put money into a bank and you have to forfeit your accumulated interest after years of them using your money to invest elsewhere. No thanks. 

Stelawrat

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Correction... I should have said, you can migrate back to your old community account... access to any posts under the new community account will be lost. That is the catch. It should be straightforward, as long as the CSA does it correctly. That is the only potential glitch.

(I have corrected my previous post).

Thank you! Will just stay with this one then, as I think I've posted more in this one thread, then in all of the threads I posted in under my old ID.  😋

GKPublic

@Knox1337 wrote:

Garbage change, everyone should switch away from telus. The only benefit to this change is their pockets. Time to find a different provider, any recommendations?

I'm liking PC Mobile.  Bell network, and free PC Points, which I collect anyway.  $29 for 25GB data.  I'm waiting until the billing change in May though.  

ztraz

I just got a message that says I have a bonus of 240GB for 150 days. Plus my 50GB that I pay for I have to use about 2GB a day to use my bonus. That doesn't seem right. I'm never going to be able to touch that bonus.

Knox1337

Garbage change, everyone should switch away from telus. The only benefit to this change is their pockets. Time to find a different provider, any recommendations?

PHenry

@GKPublic wrote:

@CalvinW wrote:

The appeal with Public Mobile is the reward system, but in return we had to put up with the half baked customer support. Literally no number to call, and most attempts of contact are handled by bots. By the time we do get in contact with a representative, they reply with generic copy and paste answers. Why would we even go with Public Mobile now that reward system is gone?

Oh man, you just reminded me of how messed up the backend with this company is.  Sometimes it's impossible to log in, sometimes the bot directs you to make a ticket and that doesn't work, so you have to come to the forums to find someone who has kindly linked a contact to a CS_Agent, then the agent doesn't know who you are, so you have to provide five pieces or information (account number, last three digits of your credit card, last payment date and amount).  What a hassle!  

Excellent point... I thought the whole reason Public Mobile didn't have a customer service call center was because they were saving so much money by not hiring customer service reps, and passing those savings onto us through the Loyalty Rewards! Now instead they are just going to be pocketing the savings for themselves and continuing to give us lackluster customer service.

Antonio_Almeida

I have just filed complaint with CRTC, and everyone should absolutely do if you want changes.  
Dear Antonio Almeida,

The CCTS is accepting your complaint about Public Mobile. 

Next steps in our process:   

1. We have notified your service provider and asked them to contact you directly. They should work with you to resolve your complaint.  We expect you to also work with your provider. If you don’t work with your provider, we may close your complaint.
  2. Your provider will let us know if your complaint isn’t resolved after 20 days. We will then work with both you and your provider to try help you resolve your complaint.   
  3. If you and your service provider cannot agree on how the complaint should be resolved, we find out if they acted appropriately and reasonably in your case.  

For more information on our process, please see our website. 

Just checked Eastlink, I do not see this plan... where?

Salvo1

That's a perfect idea 😉😉😉😉😉 let's all do that 

GKPublic

@CalvinW wrote:

The appeal with Public Mobile is the reward system, but in return we had to put up with the half baked customer support. Literally no number to call, and most attempts of contact are handled by bots. By the time we do get in contact with a representative, they reply with generic copy and paste answers. Why would we even go with Public Mobile now that reward system is gone?

Oh man, you just reminded me of how messed up the backend with this company is.  Sometimes it's impossible to log in, sometimes the bot directs you to make a ticket and that doesn't work, so you have to come to the forums to find someone who has kindly linked a contact to a CS_Agent, then the agent doesn't know who you are, so you have to provide five pieces or information (account number, last three digits of your credit card, last payment date and amount).  What a hassle!  

Michael6666

How can I refuse this poisoned gift of data? Please remove it from my account as I feel violated

Th3MaTrIx

Hello,

I’ve been with public mobile for over 7 years for my son, I had 11$ credit per month with referral and loyalty credit. This change against my will is giving me the opportunity to switch over to another company and get a better offer as I will add it as a second line. Thanks Public Mobile for letting me saving money and giving it so another company.

Don’t try to tell us its for our best, we're not that stupid.

PHenry

Well I hope Public Mobile doesn't expect its "loyal" customers to continue helping with questions on the forums anymore... what's the point?? At least before, you were getting money off your bill. Now you're just getting scammed.

Thanks Telus for completely desiccating a once lovely and unique provider.

GKPublic

@DamnB wrote:

Your policy was clear from the beginning and now you arbitrarily change it, putting back Public Mobile at a similar rate than other Canadian providers. With this decision,  you are definitely giving us a good reason to leave Public Mobile and change providers. 

You got that right!  The loyalty bonus kept us loyal, as was intended.  It made us "sticky" customers, meaning we stuck around.  We could casually see that sure, Fido, or PC Mobile, or Lucky, had similar plans, but we had a $5 per month rebate that made the competitors uncompetitive.   Now that I find myself having to buy new Public SIM cards for my family so I can qualify them for "new accounts only", and now this removal of loyalty bonuses, my esteem for Public and Telus has gone down the drain.  Now I can look at the competitors and rub my chin and say "Yes, this is better."

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They know very well that most people don't use anywhere near their available data. They just think people are stupid, and that they'll see this large number of 240gb, and jump for joy, praising them for the generosity. 

Sadly for them, most people see through this nonsense. They also see through their promotion of this rewards program being better than the old one. The gaslighting is next level, but I guess their hope is that if they can trick a few people into falling for this, it's better than nothing.

rachelwalker

did you ever hear anything

Need Help? Let's chat.