Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,588 REPLIES 5,588

banny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So the bonus data remains active unless your account becomes inactive. But the text message says it expires in 150 days? Also, I have old bonus data that doesn't expire (I hope...we'll see if that's next) - if I need the data will it come from the data that they just gave me (which expires, so that would be best) or will it come out of the other data. If it comes out of the other data, it's even more useless.

Tk111

Just found out over Reddit. Thanks for the heads up Public Mobile!

Tk111

Thanks for the heads up! Starting in May, I will have a new provider. Thanks for the amazing service over the past 5 years. 

Pelbaxdar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It’s not like their customers are here for the convenience or excellent service. We’re here because we did our research and want to save money. If they take that a way more than a few of is will move on. I think they’ve failed to “read the room” with this decision.  

MyNameIsMrBurns

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe send out an email telling people on the old rewards system the upcoming change? I'm here after being forced to find out what the heck is going on because I just randomly received my "special bonus" text message.

Pelbaxdar

Same here. Been mostly happy with PM for 10 years and 5 accounts in my family. Will be looking at alternatives for all of them in light of this. 

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not as a substitute, but in addition to the 5%, they should have retained the $2.00 pre-authorized payment bonus as 2 points, even with the inconvenience of having to log in to collect it, it would have made more sense from a customer relation perspective. 

Risking automatic guaranteed monthly payments to their bank account, by removing the reward for a popular, convenient feature from their customers just doesn't make sense. 

Pelbaxdar

Same here. Been with PM for 10years but if this sticks I’m done. 

@Stelawrat wrote:

Because we are losing the monthly $2.00 pre-authorized payment bonus, the only way to make up for that in full, with the 5% back for every dollar spent feature, is to have a plan at a monthly minimum cost of $40.00. ($40. x 5% = $2.) 

People like me, with plans under $40.00 will recoup less than what they were getting under the old rewards system, while still making my monthly pre-authorized payments...

So as per usual, immediate cash in the bank for PM, but less reward for me + a possible wait time of up to 48 hours to redeem the point, which I have to log into my account to collect... 

@Stelawrat , that and you have to wait until you accumulate 15 points before you can redeem them to use towards your bill!

marie88

I remain as a Public mobile user mainly because of the old reward program. I could not believe that Public Mobile does not offer a similar replacement policy for the old customers. If Public Mobile does not care  about the old loyal customers, why should we care about it?

Clauclau

Ridiculous. Will be leaving PM unless this is reverted. Only reason I'm with PM. Market is more competitive now. 

RhiannonConde

I got 240GB and I have a $35-$40 ish month plan (can't remember)

Frank_M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

According to my calculations I will be losing about $5 per month per account that I have. I currently have x4 accounts with public.

The answer for me is simple, I will be downgrading my accounts by $5 each. We never get anywhere close to using our data cap so that is a no brainier to do to keep the price the same.

However, If I find a better deal somewhere else I will have to consider that as an option.

I will be watching this very closely to see how this plays out.

blitser10

Incredibly disappointed that this forced move is both MANDATORY and being promoted as if it were in the best interests of the customer despite my plan rising $6 per month. I will be cancelling unless this is reversed!

ily

Save a seat for me

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Because we are losing the monthly $2.00 pre-authorized payment bonus, the only way to make up for that in full, with the 5% back for every dollar spent feature, is to have a plan at a monthly minimum cost of $40.00. ($40. x 5% = $2.) 

People like me, with plans under $40.00 will recoup less than what they were getting under the old rewards system, while still making my monthly pre-authorized payments...

So as per usual, immediate cash in the bank for PM, but less reward for me + a possible wait time of up to 48 hours to redeem the point, which I have to log into my account to collect... 

Jrig

If the intention of the change is to help drive away your older loyal customers, then this is the way to go. This new rewards system is in no way a better deal. I was getting $7/m reward for long term customer and pre-auth payment on file - works out to $84 a year in rewards. The new rewards program will give me $$10 a year for loyalty plus 5% cash back which is approx. $2/m or $24 a year. So now will get $34 in savings a year instead of $84 in savings a year. Bad move. I hope Public Mobile rethinks this.

Zahir_h

This is nothing more then a cash grab from Telus. They are making it seem like they are doing us a favor.  We are not stupid, we can realize that this will end up costing each osnus more.  

They should have just been honest saying we need to charge more and can afford to keep this loyalty program in place.  At lease they're would have been honest transparent messaging to us.   Not that we would have liked the change, but the honestly would have been less of a blow vs their BS to make it seem like they are doing something good for us.   

File a complaint with CCTS and port out.. let your money do the talking... CCTS will still side with Telus for this, but they will be passed on fees for having a case opened against them.  If enough people do this, their may be a minimal hope they decide to backtrack on this scummy move.  It's unlikely but at lease it will cost Telus to lose is as customers financially by filing a complaint.     Play stupid games, win stupid prizes 

Salvo1

Anyone been on Lucky mobile ? Anybody have any feedback on that 

ily

Translation: "All customers on the old reward program will see their monthly bill go up $4 to $7. To appease our PR department, we're throwing in extra data with tight restrictions."

This is ridiculous! PM please reconsider or you're end up losing a good portion of your loyal customers, and their referrals. @J_PM 

jimbobs2023

PM Team.

This doesn't seem like a very customer friendly change.  If you do go ahead with this, I'll certainly be re-evaluating my account with Public Mobile in the knowledge that there are competitive alternatives available.  Your "compensation package" of time limited data blocks also appears ridiculous.  What good is a time limited, large data block to a customer who uses very little data in a billing period? At the very least, make it a time unlimited data block or, for example, an account credit.  If you remove the auto-pay credit, why would I bother to keep auto-paying?  Instead, I'll move to alternative payment method that I suspect will cost you more. 

This is really disappointing.

Salvo1

I'm paying $28.25 a month now and it will go up to $38.42 that's crazy then I get $15 off after 9 months lol 🤣

Good thing they just came out with the 9-8-8 services so we can all deal with the finical blow we going to take 

Salvo1

So I have to wait 9 months to get $15 lol 🤣

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Currently on the $15 plan with a scheduled plan change to the $34 US/Can. So I guess because my plan renewal is a few days too late I lose out on 235GB of bonus data.

Seems like many PM customers are p/o'd...BUT...so far today, there's been at least 2 new questions in the Forum from new customers wanting to port in from elsewhere. We have to recognize that PM still provided good value...even w/o traditional Rewards.

Maclava

Well, we shouldn’t be surprised, we’re dealing with telus now, one of the most irresponsible companies in existence

HI @golfball 

what plan do you have?

Need Help? Let's chat.