cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are Now Working

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[UPDATE] This issue has been fixed as of November 15th, 2016. 

Hey Community,

As some of you have noticed, U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are now available in Self-Serve. While you can see them in Self-Serve, and are able to purchase them, we do not have the roaming service up and running just yet. But, we are VERY close! We promise that you will be the first to know as soon as it’s fully launched and working! In the meantime, please do not purchase the U.S. Roaming Add-Ons until we give you the all-clear. We don't want you to buy something that you can't use.

We also wanted to let you know that Self-Serve is running slower than normal, and that we are working on a fix for it.

Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned for an update!

-Public Mobile Community team

65 REPLIES 65

jigginsmcgee
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@dzvision wrote:

Fido 1GB is only $15.

Just for reference.

PM can do better than that!

I can't find that anywhere on their roaming page: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/coverageroaming/roaming_us_rates

Where do you see that?

dzvision
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Fido 1GB is only $15.

Just for reference.

PM can do better than that!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@homer just curious--what do you find crazy about it?  It's significantly cheaper (and more inclusive with 500MB per day of data) for short trips vs. the equivalent services at PM.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I meant the Fees and perhaps some cycle revampments

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@makkahn28 wrote:

I'm sure PM will eventually revamp the Add-Ons to be close to the Roamility, its only logical, and most of all, inevitable

Roam mobility's daily plan is crazy! I prefer PM's 10-day add-on. 

I'm sure PM will eventually revamp the Add-Ons to be close to the Roamility, its only logical, and most of all, inevitable

@srlawren I see what you're saying. I guess it all depends on the person and situation, but thanks for mentioning Roam Mobility again, I'll definitely check it out for my next trip (although it's not on the radar) 

srlawren

@daredogg that's a good point about it being up to 10 days.  However, at $5 per day for unlimited US+Canada-wide talk, texting....I think Global but at least to US+Canada, and 500MB of data per day, Roam Mobility is still a far better value for short trips... IF you don't mind having a different phone number and dealing with swapping your SIMs (easy if you have dual mind you).  So if you were going for 3 days, it would be $15 with Roam for all 3 services vs. a minimum of $8 talk + $8 text + $10 for 250MB total = $28 for all 3 services at PM (or more if you need more data than that).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

I've seen a few posts that 10 days is too long... but you're forgetting, it's up to 10 days really! If you need 3 days... it costs you $8 for texting or phoning. If you need 6 days, it costs you $8. If you need 1 day, it costs you $8. If you need 1GB of data to use in 1 day... you got it! $20!!

So, basically the longer your trip is, the better savings the add-on is. I personally would only get the calling feature if I went State side in case of emergencies or having to phone hotels, stores, people, etc., so I'm fine with it. I believe with Telus the cost is $7 per day to be able to use your current plan. That's pretty pricey for one day!

@ShawnC13 it's all @hummuschips's fault. They posted about it this morning! haha Robot wink I'm guilty too because I posted a screenshot of My Account... oops!

Let's all wait for the official PM announcement with all the cool graphics! Thanks for update @Brooke_C

srlawren

@ReillyWood because PM is entirely pre-paid with no way to invoice you after the fact, you will never see a pay-per-use or ad-hoc option through PM.  Well, never say never, but it would require a radical change to their model, so I think it's extremely unlikely.

And yes these are truly a la carte, pick whatever option(s) you like, and any you don't choose you will simply not have that service while in the US.  

I'm not sure about LTE but I would *assume* so.  AT&T & T-mobile both operate LTE networks on similar bands to what PM uses to it would make sense.  

srlawren

@kutzki the data amount is total over the 10 days.  So if you buy 250MB, you have an average of 25MB/day over the 10 days but you can use it any way you see fit.

srlawren

@nishufan wrote:

The U.S. Roaming Add-Ons looks not attractive enough. 10 days is too long for me. 

@nishufan I expressed this sentiment as well when these plans were first run by the oracles recently.  I will continue to use Roam Mobility for my short trips, though I may augment my Roam plan with the PM US Roaming texting add-on since I have a dual-SIM phone and texting is the only service you can't forward or otherwise easily workaround.  

I think this is an initial offering from PM, and is MUCH better than NO roaming options. I expect and hope that there will be more/better choices over time.

homer

It is good to turn it off for now - I can see nothing under add-on in my self-serve at the moment 

nishufan

The U.S. Roaming Add-Ons looks not attractive enough. 10 days is too long for me. 

@makkahn28 Telus has been trying to get people off the $19 plan for quite a while

jigginsmcgee

@kutzki wrote:

Lol is that 250MB a day?.... or just all in? Why don't you put in a keep your current information like Rogers has? $5 a day for roam like home? Why isn't that an option? I wouldn't mind paying that much.

The plans are 10 days.

kutzki

Lol is that 250MB a day?.... or just all in? Why don't you put in a keep your current information like Rogers has? $5 a day for roam like home? Why isn't that an option? I wouldn't mind paying that much.

kutzki

See below.

I agree, If PM did permit this, then it may create some intersting combos

Jonavin

I feel like they should've just make that 1GB $30 to be usable in both Canada and US. That would add value to that addon, which seems overpriced.

outdoorsaddix

@ReillyWood

As far as I can tell:

1) Yes, mix and match as you please. Buy text only, mix calling and data, buy data only, etc. 

2) Probably not, Public has yet to do anything at all on a pay per use basis. If you don't have the ad on, the service likley won't work and for data which is not unlimited, I bet once you hit the cap, it stops working unless you buy the pack again. 

3) No clue on networks, by if "4G LTE" still showing in the clouds over the data options I would guess yes it is LTE

ReillyWood

Do we have details on the details of the US Travel Add-on?

1. Are the pieces truly a la carte?  Can I mix and match as I require?
  2. Does this imply in any way that without a US Travel Add-on that I can use the AT&T or T-Mobile networks on an adhoc / pay-per-use basis?
  3. Do we get access to the AT&T and T-Mobile LTE networks?

And may I say, I like the pricing though I too would wish for either a carry-over if all the time is not used or shorter-term options.  And the ability to set the start date.

Rob Wood

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 let's wait for the official announcement from PM which also will answer a lot of questions.

@ute1978the message could have still gone public with a post or a screen shot to the community/RFD but the screen didn't have to go live in the self serve add-ons that is all I am saying. Sure people would be talking about it but without the option to actually purchase the add-on people wouldn't be out the money until it was actually up and running.

Do we know how this will work?  Is it a 10 day term from purchase or can you set the date it starts.  If you purchase it *when it is live* and it is from your purchase date they better make sure it is working it would suck to get into the US expect your plan to be working and have to find somewhere to get online and come on the community to have it fixed and not knowing how long it will take with the wait period some people are experiencing right now

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ute1978

@ShawnC13 unfortunately some members from this community and the RFD community could not wait to make it public. I can predict more posts in this community about US Add ons not working and claiming money back. This is an additional burden for the mods working on the backlog already accumulated. 😞

pakmode

@ute1978 Yup.

It is great that this is finally being listed but i don't think it should have been listed until it was actually working.  I post in the communitly to give us a look at it would have been a better way to go rather then listing it as an add-on that doesn't work.  I signed up and did my whole plan with add-ons before I even entered the community so some people will not know it isn't working if they are just signing up

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ute1978

I feel sorry for those who already bought the add on just to find out it is not working....And I hope  not many will do so as the RFD community found this out too.

jigginsmcgee

Womp womp. @Brooke_C any kind of timeline? Even if it was a "a few hours" vs "a few days" kind of thing would be helpful.

In the mean time I'll continue to refresh the forums and reboot my phone Smiley Wink

Need Help? Let's chat.