Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture and Group Messaging End Date | Feb 14

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting February 14th, 2024, select customers may be required to update either their settings or upgrade their device to continue using Multimedia Messaging Service, better known as MMS without interruption. 

Who is affected by this change?
Customers may be affected if:

• The most recent software update from the manufacturer has not been installed
  • Devices are no longer supported by the manufacturer’s software updates
  • Devices are purchased outside Canada

You will be contacted to upgrade their device. 

For more information on how to update your settings (IOS & Android) or device recommendation to ensure compatibility, review this Help Article. 

What is MMS?
Multimedia Messaging Service is the way mobile devices send and receive pictures, videos and group conversations across networks.

MMS is supported across phone manufacturers and operating systems on nearly all phone models that have data capabilities. MMS messages are sent through your normal messaging app that sends and receives text messages. 

Note: Third-party messaging services, such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, that have picture, video and group message features are not affected by this change.

What do I do if I get an email saying I need a new or replacement device?
As our network evolves, older devices (usually from 2015 or earlier) may require replacement. Rest assured, your voice, SMS, and data services will not be impacted by this change. We regularly make network updates to ensure our customers are kept up-to-date with the latest security and software updates from manufacturers. 

If you’re interested in continuing to use picture and group messaging services we have partnered with Mobile Klinik to bring you top-quality Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) phones that are tested and inspected by expert technicians to work like new at a fraction of the cost. With over 150 store locations across Canada, and an online website, Mobile Klinik offer's convenient access to a wide selection of refurbished devices that are backed by a 1 year warranty.

- The Public Mobile Team 

95 REPLIES 95

Salvo1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can also try to reset your APN to  default  try that 

Salvo1

I sent you a message hope you got it let me know sent you a screen shot of the information # you have to add in your phone 

Salvo1

I got my phone working I put in diffent setting in my phone try this 

Screenshot_20240305-091757.png

vvneng
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you very much for the reminder. I just filed a complaint with CCTS and am waiting for them to review my complaint. My OnePlus 11 is barely a year old and I did not receive any notice in advance.

Salvo1

Hi I can't not send or pictures my phone is a blackview a95.  Year is 2022 of the phone please help. My wife has the same problem 

ksesame
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great info IzzM. I also have android 11, and I'm reluctant to upgrade due to consequences from upgrading other devices. I too had no data till adjusting my APN, but then still had MMS problems till I restarted it seemed. Though I added, saved, and selected the new Public Mobile APN settings, I could not delete the pre-existing Telus APNs, all four of them (each of the four with their own set of APN settings), which I have been just ignoring. This is especially weird because I did not ever have this phone connected to Telus services, and have been the only owner of this phone. These Telus APNs were there when I first checked the APNs after I transferred my old number from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile. PMs settings did not show up like they did on my spouse's Samsung when he transferred to Public Mobile. Anyways, I just ignored the Telus APNs and created, saved, then selected the new Public Mobile APN settings, which worked to obtain data. However, later when I attempted to input PMs tethering APN (which is different), it 'erased' all other APNs including Telus. Then I just re-entered PMs main APN settings and selected it again, so that now I had only two APN settings available, those for tethering with PM, and the main PM APN settings. So here's where your info comes in handy. I selected 'reset to default' as you suggested, and all the Telus APN settings returned, they were just hidden! So I may edit their MMS settings in all the Telus APN settings to see how that goes (after first taking screenshots of their original settings), But I haven't had any surprise problems of late.

Two questions for you:

1. I noticed that one of your settings is different than all the places I've seen it advised in the community, so wondering if it's a typo or what consequence that might have. It's that you don't have the 'mb' in MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 

2. As well, did PM tech mention anything about the 'bearer' setting? That setting has tons of text in it for two of my four Telus APNs, so wondering whether to just leave it or delete it all. 

IzzM

**Edited to fix a typo in the MMSC setting - thanks ksesame

For folks who are still having issues even after editing the APN - here is what worked for me. Maybe it could work for a few others as well.

1. Context:
I have a Unihertz Atom L (not on the compatibility list), running Android 11. I have always had to edit the APN to get it to work. It would not access cellular data otherwise. I have had it since August and had no issues once the APN was fixed. Because of this I was confident that I was successfully editing the APN.

2. With help from Public Mobile tech team I found out that for some reason my phone was still using the info from the default APN for MMS, even with the new APN selected. (And even though it seemed to be successfully using the new APN settings to access cellular data).

3. On my phone it turns out that I am not actually able to delete the default APN. Sometimes it is hidden, but we found out that it is never fully removed. 

4. However, I was able to modify the default APN to have the correct MMS settings.
I chose 'reset to default' so I could actually see the default APN, added a new APN with all the correct settings, and then I went in and changed the default APN to have the correct MMS settings (and saved changes):

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799

I have had no problems with MMS since.

I have no idea if anyone else has a phone that will not let them delete the default APN, but will let them modify it. But if that's your situation, try this.

Edited to add the full APN settings as suggested by the tech team:
Name: PM
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799
APN type: default, supl, mms
APN protocol: ipv4/ipv6

ksesame

Not sure if that's because iPhone 6 is too old, or because iPhones are too controlled by Apple, or a mixture. For me, I found Apple too controlling of both the device, and my data. I swung the other way and have had a Teracube for a few years now. You can even replace batteries and parts. No bloatware, and far less cost. As long as you don't buy into the latest cutting edge camera, given all phone cameras are better than what I grew up with!

JodyThornton

Unfortunately that's not as easy for iPhone users, or at least some of us, who can ONLY change the APN server name.

JodyThornton

My iPhone 6s is NOT on the list, and neither is iOS 15.  However they BOTH work.

JodyThornton

Thank you so munch for this information ... however.

So just how are we to make this change on an iPhone?  I have an iPhone 6 using iOS 12 which worked fine with MMS, sending/receiving pictures until just days ago.  In my Cellular Data settings, there are only the APN server settings, with no way of manipulating the MMSC Proxy server and IP names or MMS Port settings.

I even tried to see if using unlockit.do.nz to install a new profile, but there was no luck to be had there.

ksesame

IMPORTANT STEPS LEFT OUT OF APN SETTING INSTRUCTIONS

First of all, the lists of supported devices are not exclusive, they are just listing the supported versions of popular phones. I have a Teracube 2e, and have got it working on the new APN settings for MMS. As well Dre64 got their OnePlus 10T working too.

For all those with MMS / texting problems, make sure you follow this APN article linked below closely, BUT ALSO, ensure you 'save' after changing the settings, AND select the new APN settings or your phone may default to the old APN settings. THEN ALSO restart your phone for the new settings to fully function. Saving and selecting are not mentioned in the article or by others who gave me advice to change the APN settings, and not till a day later did I realize why my MMS was only partially working, intermittently. It was because I hadn't restarted my phone. Restarting made MMS fully functional including messages with images and video. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

PS - Dre64 with a OnePlus 10T said, "This didn't work at first until I changed the APN type to default,supl,mms"

mcdougal

Presently, much to my relief, I'm getting a notification of an undelivered MMS message from a given recipient. This is using the old APN settings, not the new. I only just lost MMS yesterday using the old settings. Had tried extensively to get the new settings working, no luck.

I've confirmed that senders don't receive a "Failed to deliver" message, but getting something on my end is SO much better than nothing.

Anyhow, maybe worth trying the old settings to see if you can at least get a notification? Intended recipient not knowing that a message was sent + sender not knowing that the message wasn't received is no good.

My phone's a Oneplus 5T, and I'm running Ubuntu Touch, which is neither Android nor iOS, so I know my case may be different than most.

BruiserSAR

Are you able to share your solutio with the APN settings?

Mohawk44

Not necessarily true. I have a phone running Android 13 and am forced to put in the new apn settings. Mostly because I'm using a new phone that's not for our market. Has all the bands. It's annoying because MMS still doesn't work for me even after updating the settings. 

Mohawk44

I'm using a Cubot King Kong 9. Updated the MMS settings and it still doesn't work.

KatKitHfx

Hi all - I am in love with my Blackberry Key2, so I'm going to try to get by without MMS and use more Whatsapp.  Here is my question: Do you think it would be possible for Public to set things up so that when a contact of mine sends me an MMS, they get notified that it didn't go through?   That is my major anxiety right now.  I am getting notices that I am being sent MMSs which cannot be retrieved - but have no idea who is sending them.

I've experimented - and friends tell me that if they send me an MMS it looks to them like it was delivered.

Of course I'll be trying to retrain all my contacts not to do this any more....But it sure would be handy if they could actually get a notification that their message to me was not delivered.

Fingers crossed this could somehow happen? 🙂

KatKitHfx

I called Telus yesterday and they told me it was across all providers - for what it is worth!

Damandatwin1

I am not looking to replace my OnePlus phone since it's only a couple years old, I would rather switch carrier. Anyone know if this issue exists outside of Telus and its sub companies? 

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

I don't see this as changing anything.  Many devices not purchased from Telus still have to have the APN settting manually entered, regardless.  In the vast majority of cases, the settings are very easily adjustable.  I believe that the way that Public Mobile forces custoemers to use the app is a much larger issue as that app won't work on older phones (even though the device actually works on the service itself).  I do believe that many of the affected devices that would need have the APN settings change for MMS likely are no longer in use as the batteries would no longer be holding a good charge.

At least subscribers aren't strictly being forced to use the app to use the service. Yet.

According to Wikipedia, there haven't been any revisions or upgrades in MMS for many years. Indeed, the only major change has been that some countries are retiring MMS as it continues to get supplanted by other systems with better end-user features.

So I have to wonder exactly what purpose of this new Public Mobile (Telus) restriction serves. Since they're being characteristically vague and ambiguous I am inclined to assume it has something to do with "improving security" of network-side tracking and telemetry or some other generally anti-consumer anti-privacy stuff.

Sad times when one absolutely must have an iOS or an AndroidOS. No more of those flip phones, dumb phones, smartwatches and other wearables, IoT devices, or other ancillary devices unless Telus sells it and Telus allows it.

Steve92

Ok, I tracked down the solution using a couple of the links and entered the new APN settings, and my MMS is back to working.  Did Public Mobile send a text out on this?  All I see is one from them on Feb 2 that asked if I had any resolved complaints about my telecom services.

charanth1822

"Seems like it is an issue with Android 14 on OnePlus. "

No software update occurred within a month of this happening. My wife's phone and mine are on two different versions of Android neither are Android 14.

"before you jump ship, just want you to aware that Koodo customers have the same issue"

Koodo is still Telus. Any examples that aren't Telus?

"the planned end date of the MMS server is today, but OneOkus users experienced the issue as early as end of January"

Somewhere its been theorized that it happened early due to a server dying before it was decommissioned. Maybe its not related but it is not like we are getting any guidance either. We just get told use the new settings and that's it. It would be nice if PM/Koodoo/Telus said anything, tech support basically told me because it was OnePlus they couldn't do anything aside from what's mentioned above, but that they still supported OnePlus.

I came on hoping they'd have an update now that the 14th officially passed... 

charanth1822

Define legacy,
people on here are complaining about phones less than 5 years old... my wife's phone is only 2 years old.

mcdougal

Hi @hTideGnow,

That's fair, and maybe it's the case that it's as simple as an issue with older phones, but it sure seems like a lot of new phones have lost MMS functionality too.

I'm figuring CCTS will be best equipped to decide whether a complaint is warranted or not. What I want is information about how the new APN differs from the old, so that maybe work can be done to get things working again. Perhaps they can fish that info out of Telus.

Kjh875

Thank you. Very interesting. Oneplus says there's no issue on their end. Maybe I'll try someone's SIM from another carrier to see if I can rule out carrier issue. 

@Kjh875 

before you jump ship, just want you to aware that Koodo customers have the same issue

But it could be a phone software issue.. We had an issue with an particular iOS beta version which broke the data connection. It was no fault of PM at that incident.  Luckily it was Apple and they acknowledged it and got it fixed with 2 beta releases later.   

I am still not sure if it is an issue on PM side.  Seems like it is an issue with Android 14 on OnePlus. Also, the planned end date of the MMS server is today, but OneOkus users experienced the issue as early as end of January. So, it seems the MMS problem is unrelated to this announcement 

Kjh875

Before I switch carriers, just wanted to know if anyone who has had an issue after an unsuccessful APN update, has found resolution to the texting issue? PM customer support basically told me it should work after the APN update. It doesn't! I have a OnePlus Nord 30 Android 14 version. 

Thanks 

HI @mcdougal 

i don't think a complaint is needed.   The APN does not work on some phone because providers cannot support all legacy phones.  Like you cannot do much with an old 2G only phones.   🙂

mcdougal

Good thinking on the CCTS, Charanth. I'd thought about that too, I'll make a point of it. For now my Oneplus 5T still works with the old APN settings, but I presume it's a matter of time. Sorry to hear that it has indeed stopped working for some.

What really bothers me is that, even going through CS and asking for help from a technician, I cannot get any technical information about what's actually different and why the new APN won't work for some phones.

Kjh875

Sorry about that. Thanks for your help! 

Need Help? Let's chat.