Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points ™

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share with the Public Mobile Community. We wanted you all to be the first to know we’re launching a new Rewards program soon - Public Points. 

Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers. 

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve provided some information below.

Why Public Points?

With Public Points, there are more ways to earn and spend rewards, making the program more flexible than before. Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You’re in control.

How does Public Points work?

Earn Points

Get rewarded in more ways than ever. Earn points just for paying your bill – for every dollar you spend, you’ll make 5% of it back in points.

Redeem points

We like to keep things simple. 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed - that’s it! 

Start saving

Redeem points on things that matter to you – like money off your bill, free add-ons or the chance to win awesome prizes.

Our Rewards Program has and continues to be our unique super power, by giving our customers the chance to earn even more!

Stay tuned for further details soon!

- Public Mobile Team

282 REPLIES 282

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CountyDownIeUk 

This is exactly what I understood two days ago.  No need to do anything for the existing subscribers who want to stay with the current reward program.

But everyone should keep an open mind just in case we find some finer details which will change our mind on launch day.

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve provided some information below.

I don’t  know if the above copy and paste has been edited since day one or not. 

January 23 2022 5:53 pm in BC. 

But in just breaking it down....do my remarks make sense......does any one else concur?

optional for us, that have been customers prior to the change

same ... as is .....terrific 

for new customers only

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and “how you can join”, we’ve provided some information below.

we have to “join” the new program, so we do NOT need to do anything to accept or decline the new program? BUT I DON’T SEE HOW YOU CAN JOIN. 

😀but that’s ok🤪

@darlicious wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

If it sounds to good to be true......

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

hmmmmm

Old speak $1 $5 $10 $20

New speak option 1 5 10 20 points <= my guess is.....1 point = $1

well, from history we can say the new change was positive. the pioneer plans were inferior because of the lack of the rewards program. I have a feeling it's going to be better. maybe earning rewards through the community will be the big game changer. "earn when you want" it could go hand in hand on why the community was simplified.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

If it sounds to good to be true......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious wrote:

@J_PM 

Well I like the sound of that! More community engagement, something to get excited about. A program that can bring the community together and that everyone feels they can participate in without needing lightning hands, superior computer skills and a whole lotta time! Love it!!

I'm excited to hear more about it......lol....and no CSA needed to solve your problems!!😆

How will, on the Public Points program, the pay out for contributors be handled??

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

"Only customers subscribed to a Public Mobile rate plan introduced after January 26,
2015 are eligible for the Reward Program."

Before that date there were Pioneer plans. They had their own special perks and rates. But they were legacies from pre-Telus days. Public Mobile did continue to honour these plans for years (finally phased out in 2018) but also continued to try enticing Pioneer subscribers towards non-legacy plans with Rewards.

Maybe it's a relevant quote because it shows that nothing lasts forever. Pioneers made way for Rewards. Rewards might make way for Points, PM's track record shows that they'll keep up their end of the obligation until it's no longer sustainable business practice, years down the line. A better promise than you'll be given from any other provider.

@mitchnet12    I'm not seeing the date for the rollout...I probably skipped over the mention of the actual rollout date as the terms/conditions are quite long.  I see the following conditions though to be eligible to enroll in the new points rewards program:

"Only customers subscribed to a Public Mobile rate plan introduced after January 26,
2015 are eligible for the Reward Program."

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for finding this! I can rest easy knowing the launch is only 2 days away!

Good find @mitchnet12 !!!  I am surprise Jade not confirm on this timeline if the date was already set. 

So, no more guessing.  Couple more days and we will all know everything.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I know I will be staying with the current rewards program as it benefits me better that way

Our Oracles certainly are knowledgeable, if he said to stay, I don't see any reason to go  🤣  

@mitchnet12 wrote:

There's an e-mail that has rolled out with a link to the conditions. The terms indicate the program will be rolling out this week.

Nice find @mitchnet12  !

I have pdfed this to future use. 😉

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mitchnet12 

Thanks for the link. Pretty standard loyalty program legalese.

@Greg45 

What I see..you would loose all of that if you moved to the new program.  And if you are on a $40 plan, you would get 5% back in points = $2. 

Good plan  to change to?

I know I will be staying with the current rewards program as it benefits me better that way

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There's an e-mail that has rolled out with a link to the conditions. The terms indicate the program will be rolling out this week.

LeePublic

Also, here's the plans with the new 5% rewards structure:

$15 - 75¢ = 0.75 pts

$25 $1.25 = 1.25 pts

$35 $1.75 = 1.75 pts

$40 $2 = 2 pts

$50 $2.50 = 2.5 pts

$60 $3 = 3 pts

$70 $3.50 = 3.5 pts

The above is speculation based on the earn rate.

LeePublic

At this point, no one knows whether or not the new rewards program they're cooking up will be more or less beneficial but additional information should be coming soon. All we know is the 5% back in PM points.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Nothing is clear as of yet and this announcement created more headache for everybody. I am confused too as I like current reward program. As per wording I would expect additional 5% off from the bill but my crystal ball is little bit foggy so there is no definitive answer.

At least, sort of, it is clear that existing customers will have a choice to either keep existing rewards program or to switch to new (unknown) one.

New customers will have to accept only new reward program whatever that is going to be.

0PX9O4

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

...But the thing I know from experience is when a company adjusts their loyalty/points system, it is NEVER for the benefit of the consumer. 

Amen!

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This all has a similar vibe to the current points system employed at TELUS main tier. They offer many contests to spend your points on, or you can apply points for a bill credit. But the thing I know from experience is when a company adjusts their loyalty/points system, it is NEVER for the benefit of the consumer. 

Greg45
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I read the three page detailed explanation of the plan but I am still confused.

--I currently get $6 rebate ea month ($1 - referral, $2 auto pay, & $3 for belonging for over 3 yrs) all of which is automatically applied to my account each month.

--Do I lose this when signing on to this new rewards program? If I am reading correctly I will have to log in monthly to view and apply my points? If so, it would seem stupid to join something that makes more work for me. Furthermore, have you considered how this affect future growth of P.M.?

Please clarify what happens to the current (old) auto rewards program AND specify what advantage there would be to joining a new program that requires more effort on my part?

Thanks, Greg

@nigmea wrote:

what's the advantage of not changing over to points? 

HI @nigmea   , 

I think it will mean there might be more ways to use the points and not just to pay for the plan.

The announcement talked about lucky draw.  I believe for PM, this is a way to make sure most people use some points constantly and not pile them up for Life time free service.   (But what I see is that , those draws are for customers to "waste" all the points, which are actually money) 

nigmea
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

what's the advantage of not changing over to points? I'm sure it'll mean less for people who get points instead of the current reward program. I get it though and you handled it well. allowed old users to stay and not forcing us to change over. you need to make money thanks for being decent about it!

@softech wrote:

It is true that it looks like Community reward is the one to suffer.  Maybe the max  will no longer be $15?  Maybe a simple cut off line for $5 and those who work harder will be rewarded EXTRA with a nicer badge ? 

We have more speculation than information at this time.

My perception is that the new points system will put emphasis on customers who spend more. An extra motivation for people to upgrade to those $35+ plans they keep trying to push on us.

5% of $60 is $3

5% of $40 is $2

5% of $15 is $0.75 (not even $1 because it seems obvious the points will round down)

An advantage for those mercenaries who are always chasing a better deal, the ones who'll join Public Mobile on a killer promo this month and jump ship for somebody else's killer promo a few months later. Save a few bucks.

Not an advantage for those who stick around. People who plan to stick with Public Mobile a long time, get those Loyalty and Referral rewards, work the plan down to $0. (Well, maybe not $0 but still something dirt cheap.)

The more rewards you get, the less you pay. The less you pay, the fewer points you get. So maybe the two systems can coexist in parallel, allowing customers to choose their path towards savings. But I'm guessing that points will become the new system and rewards will become the stuff of legacy plans.

I don't mind the two systems being mutually exclusive. Even if one is advantageous to me while the other is not.

Because it allows more flexibility and more immediate savings which I can use to attract referrals.

dna2016

@CountyDownIeUk definitely agree with what you said. Because this really only impacts new customers, at this time, then there won't be much criticism from existing customers other than maybe being a bit harder to get referrals.  I mean company only offers 3G speed, and a lot of times what truly differentiated PM from it's direct competitors was the ability to build up all those rewards to the point where a $30 plan can literally cost someone under $10 after enough referrals and loyalty credits. Now without all those rewards it'll be a bit harder for some to be able to sell PM, a 3G only service provider, to others. We'll see how this goes.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

You are a hard nut to crack but if the new points program offered a 20% savings on an apple e-gift card whereas the current rewards only offers you plan cost redemption and you start accumulating credit as your loyalty reward grows but you have no way of redeeming that accumulating credit you might get convinced to change to the points program.

There were "Pioneer" plans here once as well and they have access to call-in customer service.  These plans were grandfathered when I got here and a little after that they were eliminated and those with that type of plan had to choose a new plan......

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious 

Nice post!

BUT in regards to add ons....I would not suggest to buy one unless you NEED it! While the freebie LD add ons acquired will definitely give us a well rounded ability to pretty much make calls world wide it is unlikely that our usage will be very high. And the freebie data is good too.....I have not dipped into any of it. But once again it may save me one day because it’s there. Is nice insurance to have and I appreciate it. So if I went to points it would go towards my basic plan. I imagine that PM knows that some of us will never fully use the LD freebies, while others will buy more. 

And anyone on $15 plan has the highest % of return in rewards $s just with auto pay and 5 years of loyalty. 

Because Jade said...same...same, it appears no changes of current program. Perhaps that is due to mandatory grandfathering due to CTRC ruling? 

What if......we remain.....will we lose and be forced to new points if we drop auto pay, suspend account or change plans? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Seeing as public mobile is introducing a new rewards program being that they claim that the current one is unsustainable going forward it shows that despite of all of the higher priced plans being introduced with their larger data buckets the majority of their subscribership and new customers that come from pm's marketing niche opt for sub $40 plans.

With the autopay reward alone accounting for 5% of the $40 plan's cost the ability to turn a profit becomes increasing difficult when other rewards are calculated into net cost. With just autopay and maximum loyalty rewards being automatically applied to accounts it represents a 17.5% cost savings on the $40 plan, $35=20%, $25=28%, $15=46.6%.

When you consider that the rewards are only used to pay for plan cost or the purchase of add ons it affects incoming revenue/cash flow. By awarding points based on the revenue/cash flow coming in the rebate/rewards being offered with the new points system will be based on the gross revenue being collected rather than the net revenue. By offering more options to redeem points pm can increase profitability by selling more goods and services per se than a direct redemption on plan cost.

If appealing enough purchasing entries into contests can dramatically offset the rebate revenue drain....if 1000 customers enter a $1 per entry contest to win a $500 retail priced CPO phone pm not only makes the profit on the "sale" of the phone but a further $500 on the sale of entries into the contest.

Even offering a discounted add on when purchased with points leads to a greater profitability especially if it convinces the customer to purchase an add on that they normally would not purchase. A customer with $15 in points who would normally use it to pay for their $15 plan but pm offers $15/1gb at 20% off when redeeming $12 in points then pm has increased their actual cash flow by having the customer pay for their plan and redeem their points for a product/service they may not have purchased at full price. ( Like all of us who bought half price $30/1gb data add ons for $15 only to find the price never went back up and have yet to have even used these add ons nearly two years after we bought them.)

If you take the buying power of telus into account and what products or services they can negotiate a discounted price for whether it be e-gift cards, tech products (headphones or Nintendo switch etc...), tickets to sporting events or concerts (think "front of line" privileges) or just fantastic contest prizes (ie. an all inclusive 7 day trip for 2) that a $5 points entry may appeal to a large base of customers could convince a current customer to switch to the new program by still earning their current rewards value but in points instead of $$ value thus enticing them to spend their reward points on more than just plan costs. This will increase incoming cash flow and provide profits on the product/service sold at full value in points but bought at a discounted price.

Food for thought....

Need Help? Let's chat.