Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on May 8

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hello Community,

On Wednesday, May 8, 2024 the Government of Canada will conduct an Alert Ready Test J_PM_0-1712942818342.png to compatible mobile devices in each province and territory. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test message will be distributed on TV, radio and compatible wireless devices. The emergency alert will display on customers' devices, accompanied by the alert sound, unless your phone is set to vibrate, silent or turned off. However, not all wireless devices will receive the test message. This may occur for various reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage, and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca.

- Public Mobile Team

8 REPLIES 8

xiv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ping @J_PM about Alert Ready.

The link provided in your announcement, when switching over to the French equivalent ( https://www.publicmobile.ca/fr/qc/alertready ), displays a complete page full of English text. It seems someone forgot to translate.

Regards,

-xiv

Yatti4201

I use to have it blocked for years. I turned off all google alerts etc. Turn off all your location and GPS. You can sometimes configure it for silent but its a pain now. The carrier puts in flags to prevent disabling. What you can do is run custom software which will remove that restriction if the non-custom hacks and tricks don't work. I haven't received anything so far. The amber alerts are most annoying when they put out alerts for a vehicle 400km from you yet and has been suspect since 8 hours ago. Its ridiculous imho. If this was within the last hour and within like 100 km I would understand. I would love to see the numbers of false positives etc vs positive information over the last 5 years vs the previous 10-15-20 whenever it was implemented! 

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@xiv - I was in a tornado zone ands got kicked off to 3G and immediately when it went back to LTE / 5G I got the alert since it was still in effect. Alberta Highway 2 was backed up with broken glass all over the place!

xiv

@Yatti4201 I can confirm that @fixin1 's advice is true. I am always connected to the 3G network, and I never see those alerts.

fixin1

@Yatti4201 - You cannot. There is one way though - force 3G and silent mode on your phone. 4G LTE is needed for alert ready texts. If you go long enough with 3G, you may not get the text but you will get alert if on LTE.

Just use Do Not Disturb or silent mode to stop the loud alarms going off.

Use 3G for about a day after the alert has been issued. Your device will then not go off.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 6.50.03 AM.png

Yatti4201

I hate these. I would like to exclude my phone. 

Nailuj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the warning.

fixin1

Thanks @J_PM @for the notice!

Need Help? Let's chat.