Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9-8-8 service is coming to Canada

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile
Hello Community, 

On November 30, 2023, Canada will be launching a national mental health crisis and suicide prevention number that anyone can access by either dialing or texting 9-8-8. It will be available 24/7 from coast to coast and free of charge.

Help is still available in the meantime. People experiencing mental health distress can obtain assistance through Talk Suicide Canada by calling 1-833-456-4566 toll-free. Support is also available through text. Adults can text 741741 and youth can text 686868. Talk Suicide Canada’s text service is available at 45645 from 4 p.m. to midnight, Eastern Time.

Find more information on the CRTC’s process to develop and deploy 9-8-8 service

- The Public Mobile Team

20 REPLIES 20

Mdv1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is so great!!

Manosh_Haldar

Great initiative!!

Kevin34

This is amazing! One resource that might also interest people is togetherall.com It is a safe place where an online community of people can share their thoughts/feelings and open up about mental health. It is a forum if you are experiencing an immediate crisis but rather a place to go to talk if you need to talk. 

RazRee

Great news. Didn’t know about this until now. I wish this was embedded in our phones where you can find out what shortcut to dial and get a taxi for example. 

Tguzzy

Such an important resource for everyone to have! This needs more attention in our cities so people know there is an alternative to dialing 9-1-1 in a crisis  

KJ51
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is great! Glad that this helpline is available to help out people dealing with mental health distress 

Ges61

This has been long overdue I live with someone that suffers from schizoaffective disorder. I'm madly in love with her and she is a wonderful person, but this year alone she has tried to end her life 3 times. This will be a valuable resource for us both to use. Bravo 😊

Mossmyster33

I fell they should have not used. 9 ad the beginning number just in case for example 211 411 .  Maybe 888 would have sufficed

Jattdesi

988 is officially up and running as of November 30 2023. Please use it when needed. When you call 988 a recording comes on asking you to choose English or French 

Slongstaff79

This is amazing to have!

Momomomomo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@J_PM what kind of assistance 

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is an excellent initiative! 👏

asmith11

Great news!

PrizmalEDM

This is great news, love to see it

Mandaxox87

I think this is great!  We need to spread the word so more people are aware of this! You would most likely be surprised at how many people struggle on the daily in silence.  Share this on your social media, blogs... anywhere you think!:) You never know..you could just save a life!❤️

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Great announcement.  The more people that know that help is only a 3 digit call away the better we can help conquer the stigma of mental health which will help save lives. You are not alone.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

This is great. I hope it will be utilized by those whom needs it

@Yummy wrote:

THIS should be in 'Announcements' at the top of Community page to be visible and always available.

@J_PM , can you possibly do this please? 🙏🏼 

Edited November 30, 2023: I guess that’s a no! 😔 

Also in the New Activation / Eversafe section !!  😵

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

THIS should be in 'Announcements' at the top of Community page to be visible and always available.

Need Help? Let's chat.