cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

you don't have an active long distance add-on

agaudrault
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan includes unlimited Canada wide calling, and I've never had problems making calls anywhere in Canada.

Today, I just tried calling a US number, and got the message "you don't have an active long distance add-on". I expected that I would simply be billed for the cost of the call rather than be prevented from making the call entirely. Do I need to pay for a monthly plan just to make one or two US calls a year?

Is there a way to make US calls without a paid monthly plan?

6 REPLIES 6

@kselmak wrote:

@agaudrault 

Postpaid service is kinda like jukebox, you only hear music if you put in a coin.

On the bright side you won't get any surprises and you don't have to worry how much it will be on the next bill, if it works it's already included.

@kselmak   Prepaid service...  (knew what you meant though, great comparison - like it!!!)

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@agaudrault 

Postpaid service is kinda like jukebox, you only hear music if you put in a coin.

On the bright side you won't get any surprises and you don't have to worry how much it will be on the next bill, if it works it's already included.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@agaudrault 

Add-on is very affordable and never expires, if you just make occasional calls it may take your years to use it up

For frequent calling i would suggest TextNow app, you can call out of bowser as well. Great service and calls are free to landlines in some other countries like uk australia Sweden etc

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

In order to make calls to the US, while you're in Canada, you either need a US add-on or the $50 plan which includes US calling.

If you are regularly making calls to the US - - consider a web-based calling app for that purpose as opposed to an add-on or plan change. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@agaudrault  - There is no after the fact billing with Public Mobile.  It is all pre-paid.  If you need to call the US, you will need to purchase a long distance add-on.  Remember that purchasing add-ons is a 2 step process (First time, you add funds to your account, second time, you actually purchase the add-on).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, PM is a pre-paid service.  You need to buy the US calling add-ons from Self-Serve

1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00

softech_0-1614004293642.png

Once you bought it , it will be on your account until the minutes are used up (carry over from month to month till all used up)

Need Help? Let's chat.