cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

useing Whatsapp for international calls

upet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm receiving international calls over Whatsapp. Why are my are my canada minutes are being used up?

Thanks for any replies, upet

12 REPLIES 12

tdent145
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just make sure using the whatsup app that you're on your home internet connection or somewhere that offers free WiFi. If you keep having issues put your phone in airplane mode. It will let you use wifi still but the other aspects of the phone like incoming texts and phone calls will be shut off until you turn airplane mode off. It seems to help a few people that use that app.

v2131111
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am loosing my mind Reading this. FYI. @upet Public Mobile doesn't know what What's App is doing.  You can even remove the sim card or put your phone in Airplane Mode with wifi turned on and your What's App will still work

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@upet wrote:

I'm useing wifi for the calls. The problem only seems with some of the incoming calls. These are international calls and should not show up on the canada minute plan anyway. 

Well, these must be calls outside of Whatsapp, because anything that remains in the app itself (ie. calls to other WA users, calls from WA users) are free and just use WiFi or data (which obviously comes at a cost), as mentioned.

I think you're conflating Whatsapp calls in app with actual calls directly to your mobile. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

WhatsApp calls are app to app.  WhatsApp had never been able to dial a phone number or receive calls from a phone number.  What's being alleged here doesn't make any sense.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@upet wrote:

I'm useing wifi for the calls. The problem only seems with some of the incoming calls. These are international calls and should not show up on the canada minute plan anyway. 

Any incoming call to your PM phone number will use your plan minutes independing where the call coming from as the caller pays the long distance.

If you don't have international calling minute add-on, you will not be able to call out using PM phone number.  SInce Whatsapp call is using WiFi or mobile data, it does not use your plan minutes.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@upet Are you sure your phone's OS has not been compromised?

Here is a line item of the incoming international call I received.

The call type is Incoming Call, Originating Location is All and Destination Location is my province.

Incoming international callIncoming international call

upet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@upet wrote:

I'm receiving international calls over Whatsapp. Why are my are my canada minutes are being used up?

@upet  What plan are you on? If you are on the $15 plan you should switch to the one that includes unlimited incoming calls so that when anyone from anywhere calls you it does not use up your minutes.

Furthermore whatsapp does not use minutes. How do you know that whatsapp is using your minutes? Did you check your usage history online? If you are on a limited call plan then something else is using up your minutes.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Mmmm, that shouldn't be the case. Something else is going on.

Whatsapp is similar to Skype or FB Messenger in that it's used for in-app calling (no telephone number, thus no minutes used). It uses WiFi or data depending on what you're connected to. Are you sure it's minutes being used up and not data? As the other poster said, a check of the Self Serve account (usage, what plan/add-ons you have) is in order.

@upet wrote:

I do not believe Whatsapp can make regular voice calls and relies on the internet to do everything. For those types of calls, Publice Mobile wouldn't even know to deduct minutes from your plan. 

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You only need an internet connection to receive Whatsapp calls, so even if you don't have service, but are connected to Wi-Fi, it should go through. Public mobile does not track these as minutes. 

I would double check your call logs to ensure that you didn't use you minutes by accident. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Whats app uses wi-fi so it would not use your minutes.  Log into your self serve account to check your usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.