cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfering phone # with changing provider

alanhatt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've cancelled my public mobility but would like to keep my existing phone number. What do I do to transfer my number to the new provider? 

11 REPLIES 11

andreale
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You should have the PM acc active. If you cancelled it already, it's not possible for you to keep the same number when you change to new provider. If you want to port your existing phone number with the active PM account, you must have your PM account number, your existing phone number and let's wait for it to be processed. It would take few hours to at least 24hours to be processed. Sometimes it takes more time but don't be worried, it will just be some troubles between 2 providers or your old bill needed to be paid. 

@alanhatt  Did you get all that? I'll lay it out thanks to everyone's imput......

1. If your account has been suspended for more than 90 days it is cancelled. There is no way to port your number and is extremely unlikely you could get it back from the original telecom provider....but is probably not reassigned yet. Contact that provider.
  2. Your account is suspended for non payment. Reactivate the account by paying for your plan. If your plan was more than $15 you can access your account and change it to the $15 plan. Pay and reactivate. You then have 30 days of service to port your number out...preferably by day 25.
  3. If your account is suspended a recent change to allow for the retention of customers under the telus umbrella will allow you to port your number from a suspended public mobile account to the higher tiered companies of koodo and telus. Contact either of those two providers to port your number to them. This must be done before 90 days preferably by day 85.

@gblackma wrote:

@computergeek541 Does it flow downward too? From Telus/Koodo to PM? Thanks.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

If your PM account is suspended, you cannot port your PM number out.  To port a number, your account must be active.  You can reactivate your account with the cheapest $15 plan before asking your new provider to port your number from PM.

A number from a suspended Public Mobile account can still be ported out if the number is being taken to Telus Mobility or Koodo Mobile. This is a policy that has been in effect since Janauary 23.

The only information that I was provided with was for outgoing number ports from Public to Koodo and Telus Mobility.  If a Public Mobile customer has a account in suspension and tries to port out to any other carrier, the porting will fail (as expected).

@computergeek541 Does it flow downward too? From Telus/Koodo to PM? Thanks.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

If your PM account is suspended, you cannot port your PM number out.  To port a number, your account must be active.  You can reactivate your account with the cheapest $15 plan before asking your new provider to port your number from PM.

A number from a suspended Public Mobile account can still be ported out if the number is being taken to Telus Mobility or Koodo Mobile. This is a policy that has been in effect since Janauary 23.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

Thanks for the update.  This make sense to keep the subscribers within Telus family.

@popping wrote:

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@alanhatt 

If you stop payment on your renewal date, your account will be suspended.  90 days after suspension, you account will be cancelled and youe number will go back to the provider who gave you your number.

If you cannot login to your PM self-serve account, you account may be canceled already.

If you can login to your account, check the date that you need to reactivate your account before your account will be cancelled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alanhatt wrote:

I no longer have a PM account active, can you get permission to transfer my number without having a

current account

I'm not sure any provider will allow a transfer without an active account. So it's gonna have to cost you at minimum $15 to transfer your number.

Edit: how long has it not been active? If more than 90 days after it suspended then your number is gone.

(Edit: unless maybe you're on the $10 plan...then just reactivate it and then transfer)

alanhatt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I no longer have a PM account active, can you get permission to transfer my number without having a

@gblackma wrote:

@alanhatt If your PM account is still active. Then call your new provider and provide the information that they require in order to port your number over. 

@alanhatt wrote:

I've cancelled my public mobility but would like to keep my existing phone number. What do I do to transfer my number to the new provider? 

current account

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alanhatt wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "cancelled".

An account needs to be active to transfer a number. Then it's all done at the other side. Remove your payment card if present before transferring.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@alanhatt If your PM account is still active. Then call your new provider and provide the information that they require in order to port your number over. 

@alanhatt wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.