cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting abroad

Jayne123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys, I have a basic plan (the 15$ one). I was wondering if I send a text from Mexico, how does it work, will they take the extra charge directly on my credit card and does anyone have an idea how much it would cost me? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

@Jayne123...

not sure which airport you'll fly in to, but just about all airports have a kiosk just selling burner phones, local sims and cheap plans. You can get a cheap throw-away phone for about $20, loaded with talk/text and some data.

Travel safe

edited by computergeek541 due to direction the conversation ended up taking

Jayne123

oh really!! that's awesomme, I am going to check it out

@Jayne123  if you search on Amazon you can find prepaid SIM cards for Mexico.

Jayne123

I guess that is what I will have to do, I'll buy a sim card at the airport then... Thank you for your reply 😉

Jayne123

thank you for your reply, but unfuntunetly my main concern is that I won't have acces to wifi at the airport in Mexico (I know that airport) and I would need to contact my friend. so, the textnow require  a wifi connection ;-(. But, that is ok, I'll find a solution, thanks again 😉

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jayne123 

If you have an iPhone or mac you can send an iMessage for free from anywhere using Wi-Fi. Now the limitation is that you can only send a message from your Apple device to another Apple device.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only offers roaming in the US.  If you have access to Wifi then you could use apps like Textnow or WhatsApp.  Other option would be to purchase a local sim

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Sorry no roaming in Mexico

You can send texts to anywhere in the world as long as you are connected to Telus tower or if you purchase roaming one of the towers where they have roaming agreement. For now it's only in usa

If you want unlimited texting while away on other countries and unlimited calls to Canada USA get TextNow. Totally free. If you have access to usa credit card and address you can purchase their sim for 10usd and use it i believe in Mexico as well (not in Canada for now) but if you get local data or have access to WiFi you can just use their app all the same. Yes they sell sim for 10 and you get unlimited talk and text for free and i heard rumors that Mexico is now included. Check

Again you don't need it to use their app on any local data in almost any country (including Canada) or if you are on WiFi

Need Help? Let's chat.