Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim cars

barracuda68
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Going to florida for six months.

Can i insert a us sim into phone while there and use for six months

and on return insert my public sim card and will my account still

be good. I plan on keeping account active while away.

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : I couldn't resist a promo 2 years ago for 5gb one-time of data. It did allow changing the plan down to a lower plan. I had also activated an account on the $15 plan to fiddle around with the "glitches". Then the $10 plan was being discontinued so I switched that account to the $10 plan and just keep it as my "dormant" account. It's currently active now. That plan only has gift data of which there's still a few gigs left. My other data plan still has original data from the 5gb and is now working down the last 2gb gift and is currently suspended. It's on the $10 plan.

Through timing, I might miss any possible gifts on the dormant account unless I reactivate it just for that.

I have a dual-SIM phone to use the two accounts. My main account is on the $10 plan. It has a crap-ton of data on it still.

@darlicious wrote:

@barracuda68 

I like @Anonymous  have a third account for data that I keep suspended most of the time. While I want to keep the benefits of the account the phone number is disposable. My other two accounts keeping the numbers are paramount.

I still cannot wrap my hear around why would somebody have multiple accounts (and few phones to add) even if some accounts are free (due to loyalty or referrals)???

@Meow 

Loyalty rewards are unaffected if your account is suspended for less than 60 days. After 60 days the loyalty reward is delayed by the co-orelated amount of time its suspended.

@barracuda68 

I like @Anonymous  have a third account for data that I keep suspended most of the time. While I want to keep the benefits of the account the phone number is disposable. My other two accounts keeping the numbers are paramount.

If you want to switch to the $15 plan and continue to pay thru autopay then do so.....but I would call forward your number to fongo or text now before you leave Canada. Remove your sim card so it doesn't connect to a US tower and put it somewhere safe in your possession (wallet, in a dime bag taped to the inside back cover of your passport etc...) Then you have access to it if necessary.

Your incoming calling will ring thru to your fongo app on your phone with the US sim card ( mint?) If no one calls you pm number for awhile log in to your account and check its status or you can always call 1 855 4PUBLIC and enter your 10 digit phone number to get your basic account info or make a payment with your card on file after entering your 4 digit account pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barracuda68 : 1. Define "losing". Switching out the SIM does not affect your account.

2. Yes.

3. No.

The option of changing the plan down to the cheapest plan is mostly valid.

I have what I call a "dormant" account. I reactivate the plan. I have 30 days service (~1 month) whether I use it or not actively in a phone. It suspends for 90 days (~3 months). I reactivate the plan before those 90 days. So that's paying every 120 days (~4 months). You just have to be clear on that timing at the end of the suspension. The dates are on your overview page to pay _before_.

Or your current thinking of just keeping the plan active and paid throughout also works.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@barracuda68 

Yes, your plan will work okay because you are continuing to pay and keep your service account Active (even when you do not use your SIM card).

Like others have said, these two things are a good idea too:

• Login in regularly to your Public Mobile account to ensure that AutoPay hasn't failed (it's a known glitch sometimes!)
  • Insert your SIM card* to catch up on messages

*To my knowledge, your account won't disappear because you haven't used the SIM card.  However, some providers auto-cancel the SIM card after inactivity (usually 1 year, but it's nowhere published with Public Mobile).

barracuda68

OK just to summarize:

Can i switch out my sim card in florida without loosing existing service

Will switching to $15 a month and keeping auto pay active keep my account 

Turning phone off for six months, will this affect account.

Looking for best option without loosing my number.

Thanks for all your patience.

@darlicious wrote:

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

Will this inactive time be considered toward loyalty rewards?

Technically one has to reactivate plan 4 times a year, pay some $60 in total and then receive loyalty reward after a year? Or it does not work this way?

@barracuda68 

Consider using mint mobile while in Florida. Their plans start at $15/3gb with unlimited calling and texting to Canada and Mexico.You can order a sim card from B&H Photo who will ship it to Canada. Check out their deal zone you might luck out and score a deal on a dual SIM phone.

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

@barracuda68 wrote:

Ah only one slot.

I will reduce account to $15 and will leave auto pay on.

Thanks

@barracuda68 just one more reminder, make sure you check your account once every month and make sure the Autopay goes thought without issue and Account is Active.  If any issue, come here and post us any question

barracuda68

Ah only one slot.

I will reduce account to $15 and will leave auto pay on.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barracuda68 : The phone would have two slots for a SIM card. What exact make/model/submodel phone are you using?

barracuda68

How to tell duel sim

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barracuda68 : Is your phone dual-SIM? If so then you could leave the PM SIM in and keep receiving texts. That way you would also be aware that the plan renewed...or not. Without knowing the autopay failed you could just forget about it and next thing you know 90 days has gone by without renewing and poof.

Or have an old retired phone along with you and keep the SIM in to get those texts.

And then also you could reply on the other account when you get a text from someone on your PM account. Numbers might confuse them but y'all'll figure it out.

barracuda68

Good plan. Will do that.

Thanks

barracuda68

I have automatic pay and will keep it active.

Thanks

@barracuda68   I just want to add, change it to $15 plan to lower your actual cost.  make sure you really do it on the 85th day and make sure payment goes through and account reactivate successfully.   Failing to have a successful activation before 90th days, you will lost your phone number and your account (and the rewards on it)

Enjoy your hot summer down there.  Stay away from Covid  🙂

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@barracuda68 

If you plan on keeping your account active (ie, pay every month), your account will still be good.  Just re-insert your SIM card when you get back. 

Another options is to downgrade your plan to $15 plan while you are away.  Less cost per month.  

Here is another thread to save money (might be too much of hassle for some customers)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@barracuda68 

You have 90 days to renew your account from your renewal date otherwise it will be closed automatically and your number lost. It’s best to pay somewhere around the 86th day in case something goes wrong with your payment and you have time to correct.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

yes, as long as your phone is unlocked, you can use any SIM

for PM, are you going to suspended your account and remember to top up once every 85 days to keep the acocunt alive?

Need Help? Let's chat.