cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card

Bart104
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Blackberry Z30 (yeah, I know) that uses a "micro" sim card.

Of course it doesn't fit in my IPhone XR. I believe it uses a "Nano" sim card.

I need to keep my phone number, but need a different sim card for my IPhone xr.

What is my next step?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@AE_Collector 

BB Playbook !   (no SIM card)

Still use my 1(64gb)  of 3 units for occasional emails, alarm clock, camera, but not many websites compatible to view on the stock browser  !

Still prefer their OS (and also MS WiN'),  

over Android/Google/Chrome os & overabundance of adverts' !

Yeah it was shocking the slide that BB went on. Too bad in many ways. I was tempted to get a Z10 but I then was tempted to grab one of those tablets they brought out when they were suddenly available new for dirt cheap…what were they called.. BB Playbook or something like that?

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector : Yup. Loved my old Z10. Then I acquired a cast-off Z30. I would still say that BB OS10 is a superior OS. It died. So did security updates. The phone became less and less usable. Alas.

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS 

I believe that's @Anonymous 's favourite quote....

OPs old phone is almost @Anonymous ‘s favourite phone as well. Okay, that may have been awhile ago! I really liked my BB Torch…. Kept it going for at least 6 years.

<edit> It occurs to me that I still have it and they are still compatible phones. I think I actually have 3 of them if anyone really needs one.

AE_Collector

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 4.10.25 PM.png

barrascuk

Some mobile stores have punches specifically for that and may do for you free. London Drugs did it for me free of charge. 

barrascuk

Look at the pic from @HALIMACS 

Some times it is very hard to see the lines that show how the nano breaks out. I assume you have a PM SIM?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Bart104 wrote:

If you are brave enough, you can cut Micro to Nano. Been there, done that with no issues. Get template from internet, good scalpel (do NOT use scissors! they might brake plastic), metal ruler and GO.

@darlicious 

oops, tagged wrong user on initial post - meant to tag OP.     (bit out of 'practice')

didn't know that was @Anonymous favorite quote...

@HALIMACS 

I believe that's @Anonymous 's favourite quote....

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Bart104 

Picture's worth 1000 words:

HALIMACS_0-1632690043149.png

HALIMACS_1-1632690056576.jpeg

@Bart104 

There are templates online that if you are careful you can cut the nano out of an older style sim card that is not tric-cut. Although you may want to order a new one from Canadian Cell Supplies for $5. Free delivery in 5 business days via Canada post. That way if you do screw it up you can just do a sim swap thru self serve. Otherwise you have a spare just in case or one handy for a referral.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bart104 : If you have the tri-punch then you absolutely do not need to get a new SIM. Damaging anything is one way. You'd have to mangle the last smallest piece to make it unusable. So if you damage a frame piece then you just can't go back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bart104 

i suggest you get a New SIM card is better for you and fast way

from any Retail store and you buy it right away,

Where To Buy A SIM card,

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click Here link 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit Here link, or Pickup 1-2 Hours.

*How To Change Your SIM Card

the SIM change functionality has been re-enabled in My Account, now with an additional security step: 2 factor authentication to further protect against SIM card fraud.In order to change the SIM card associated with your account, you must now verify your request through a one-time security code that will be sent via SMS or email.To change your SIM card, please follow the below steps:

1. Log into your My Account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Change SIM Card
  3. Enter your new SIM card number
  4. Select where you would like your 6-digit security verification code to be sent to. You can choose to have the code sent to your email, or via SMS to your phone number. If you do not have access to your phone or cannot receive SMS, please select the email option.
  5. Check your email or phone for your security code, and input the code into the page
  6. Click “Verify Code”

Please note: after 5 failed attempts to verify your security code, your account will be locked, and you will need to have your account unlocked and your SIM card manually updated by an agent by submitting a ticket link,.

1. Once you have verified your code, click “submit” to complete your SIM card change, and you’re all set !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bart104 : Yes, depending on how old your SIM is, it's what's called "tri-punch". You can carefully snap out the smaller size from the larger size. Keep the pieces for future considerations.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Bart104 wrote:

I need to keep my phone number, but need a different sim card for my IPhone xr.

What is my next step?

Thanks

You just need to remove the adapter around the "micro" format to convert the SIM to "nano" format.

Edit: Although it's not hard to do, be careful when snapping out the contour. If you make a mess and damage the card, you'll need to buy a new SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.