cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card

Osaga
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Im having problems with my phone so I pulled out my sim card and tried it in my old phone but I get a message that I need to type in the unlock pin???
Unlock pin?? With my old carrier I have tried my SIM card many different phones without any issies.. why cant I do it with these cards??

10 REPLIES 10

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So your old phone is unlocked and should have worked with the PM SIM.  Sounds like you SIM somehow got locked - a modertor should be able to get you a PUK for your SIM so that it should start working in both phones.

Have you sent a Private Message to @Mary_M to ask for help yet?  They should be able to get you fixed up fairly quickly.

Osaga

thats odd... I just tried it in my old phone again and it works... shows that that Im on Public Mobile... wonder why it kept asking asking for the unlock code past 6 times??

Osaga

I used it with koodo... I can place my wife's virgin mobile sim cards and it works... NO other sim card that I tried asks me for "sim unlock password" only my public mobile card

imcphers

You old phone is carrier locked.  Where did you get your old phone from (Bell, Rogers...)

When you insert a SIM from another carrier it is asking you for the unlock code because the SIM is not from the same carrier where you purchased the phone.

I've used this site to unlock a couple of samsung phones.

http://www.cellunlocker.net/

Osaga

thanks all who replied... I didnt even know that the carrier can lock out the sim card... I'll keep trying my new phone - I only get asked for the 'sim unlock' on my old phone...  it would be nice to be able to insert the sim into my old phone to make sure it works

Some interesting things I learned about PUK... first of all, learning what it means: PIN Unlock Key

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_unblocking_code

Out of curiosity, is this an Android thing, or could it also apply to iOS?

@kav2001c is right, you'll need the help of one of the moderators @Osaga. They come online around 9:00 am EST.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

You need to message a mod if you need your PUK (unlock)

@Saray_O

Osaga

I tried it rebooting with and without sim card... it always 'sees' the public mobile 4G but fails to connect... I tried on auto and I tried it manually... I keep getting 'cant connect' 

last time I used it was 10hrs ago and had no issues and then I ported my old number.. it all showed ok... in my phone info it showed my new number right away but I went to restart the phone and ever since then it wont connect .. been tryin for past 10hrs

bbdata

Have you tried to reboot your new phone with the Public Mobile SIM card already inserted?

Osaga

my new phone wont connect ... I can see public mobile 4G but when I select it I get a message "cant connect... try again later"

maybe its NOT my phone... is it something with the sim card?

Need Help? Let's chat.