cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...


@Obice wrote:

I don't really know what to say at this point...

 

https://c.mail.com/@783470527145581586/DRnfxbClSYaeDLqJoT5IYw



While there isn't much to be done until CRTC's enforcement vs anti spoof calls and such goes through a bit more, reporting any scam calls you get and the details to http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerincident/index-eng.htm you may help spread the newest "scam" - you never know when you're the first target of a new campaign.

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...


@alanbrenan wrote:

@Obice wrote:

I don't really know what to say at this point...

 

https://c.mail.com/@783470527145581586/DRnfxbClSYaeDLqJoT5IYw



While there isn't much to be done until CRTC's enforcement vs anti spoof calls and such goes through a bit more, reporting any scam calls you get and the details to http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerincident/index-eng.htm you may help spread the newest "scam" - you never know when you're the first target of a new campaign.


Funny you mention that I should report this. I have been trying to for days and their system is having "technical difficulties".

 

What are the odds that it is tax season or going to be and the very people we are supposed to go to to report fraud are having difficulties themselves? Coincidence? Maybe.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...

@Obice  I've had that call and they actually had me going for awhile....because they had spoofed the department of justice number. So while I was busy double checking the info on my tablet they were feeding me very accurate government of Canada info. Once I clued in i kept them on the line while I tried to contact the police department and the Canadian antifraud centre. Unfortunately  I was on hold with both for over half an hour and the fraudsters got mad that I wasn't rushing to the bank to withdraw all my money and hung up on me.

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...


@darlicious wrote:

@Obice  I've had that call and they actually had me going for awhile....because they had spoofed the department of justice number. So while I was busy double checking the info on my tablet they were feeding me very accurate government of Canada info. Once I clued in i kept them on the line while I tried to contact the police department and the Canadian antifraud centre. Unfortunately  I was on hold with both for over half an hour and the fraudsters got mad that I wasn't rushing to the bank to withdraw all my money and hung up on me.


I pretty much never answer spam calls or numbers I simply don't know in uncertainty whether the number might be spam.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...


@Obice wrote:


I pretty much never answer spam calls or numbers I simply don't know in uncertainty whether the number might be spam.


But other than taking a moment of your time to answer and then promptly block...what does it hurt? Then the calls dwindle to few and far between.

Don't press any buttons on automated calls and simply hang up.

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...

I don't know how more clear I can possibly be...

 

We as customers, as humans, should not have to deal with these calls at all.

 

There are evidently groups of people that want to try to scam other people, that's not fine but reality. What is even less "fine" is how the telecommunications companies do absolutely nothing on their end to solve the situation. Rather they tell us to just block numbers on our phones, putting the problem into our hands when it is them that should be solving it because we pay for their service. Somehow this behavior is okay but mine is outlandish. It's astonishing.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...

I'm sure we all grasp your principled stand. No one likes it. Lobby your MLA. Lobby your MP. Lobby your Senator. Start a petition. Start a revolution.

It's simply not something that ruins my day. I personally just don't care. I'll block the call. Done. Apparently the regulating body is attempting to force the telco's to do something about it. Fine. Good luck with that. Scammers gonna scam.

I find it astonishing that people choose to filter calls when it does little to no harm to simply answer the dang phone. Just say no. Don't press any buttons. Hang up. How hard is that? And then the day comes when it's your cousin Mildred informing you of the passing of your Aunt. But no. They were on private caller so you ignored the call. Astonishing.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...

When I was a child we did not have a phone. And when we got one it was stationary, black, installed on the wall in the most awkward spot in the house. And we had to share the line....a party line it was called. You did not abuse, timewise, the phone and rarely called long distance as was very very expensive and poor quality. Crank, spam, calls etc where rare. Then became the idea of kids crank calling and would ask Is your fridge running? The response was...yes. Then you better catch it......would be the response and then hang up quickly. No caller ID then! And then you would call for a huge order of Chinese Food to be delivered to your neighbor. You would hide in  a spot to watch the delivery! It would keep you busy for an hour or so for that 5 minute rush. In one form or another we have had spam, scam, extortion for the last 70 years. Caller ID put an end to most and self management of contact lists have helped avoid answering these calls from Microsoft India, CRA every Jan, Feb, Mar, political parties, furnace cleaners, window sales....you name it. Then came private lines, multiple phones in the house and then cell phones which lead to smart phones. You know....smart phones.....the ones you spend $55 a month on for each kid instead of having a baby sitter after school. We all need to understand  it is so easy to spoof a legitmate number and no matter what, YOUR common sense and due diligence remains most effective. And for you millennial socialists that expect the government to control your inbound calls, baby sit your babies at day care and give you a handout for your new electric car......GET A GRIP!

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...


@iPhoneUser wrote:

And for you millennial socialists that expect the government to control your inbound calls, baby sit your babies at day care and give you a handout for your new electric car......GET A GRIP!


Hey! I quite enjoyed the $16,000 "handout" to buy my electric car thank you very much. I certainly didn't expect it though. And nor am I a millenial.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: (sigh) I'll let this speak for itself...


@iPhoneUser wrote:

When I was a child we did not have a phone. And when we got one it was stationary, black, installed on the wall in the most awkward spot in the house. And we had to share the line....a party line it was called. You did not abuse, timewise, the phone and rarely called long distance as was very very expensive and poor quality. Crank, spam, calls etc where rare. Then became the idea of kids crank calling and would ask Is your fridge running? The response was...yes. Then you better catch it......would be the response and then hang up quickly. No caller ID then! And then you would call for a huge order of Chinese Food to be delivered to your neighbor. You would hide in  a spot to watch the delivery! It would keep you busy for an hour or so for that 5 minute rush. In one form or another we have had spam, scam, extortion for the last 70 years. Caller ID put an end to most and self management of contact lists have helped avoid answering these calls from Microsoft India, CRA every Jan, Feb, Mar, political parties, furnace cleaners, window sales....you name it. Then came private lines, multiple phones in the house and then cell phones which lead to smart phones. You know....smart phones.....the ones you spend $55 a month on for each kid instead of having a baby sitter after school. We all need to understand  it is so easy to spoof a legitmate number and no matter what, YOUR common sense and due diligence remains most effective. And for you millennial socialists that expect the government to control your inbound calls, baby sit your babies at day care and give you a handout for your new electric car......GET A GRIP!


Had me in the first half, not going to lie. Unfortunately the second half turned into the typical self absorbed boomer rant from someone who conveniently overlooks the advantages they were handed compared to today. I manage many millenials and boomers, I find them to be very hard working. It tends to be individuals from those groups that exhibit the stereotypical, lazy, entitled mindset, not the group as a whole. I guess stereotypes make it easier for some people to remember their biases

Need Help? Let's chat.