cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

service switch: iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 with new SIM card

grizmel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok, so I have gone into my account and changed my SIM card to the iPhone 5 PM SIM card and my change was accepted. But now neither phones have service.

How long does it take for the new SIM card to activate?

6 REPLIES 6

@grizmel wrote:

could not punch out, but had access to someone with an unused PM SIM card that they received at no cost, so all good 😄

Hi @grizmel soooo, you got a freebie PM sim card from someone huh?  Now they own your soul. lol  jk  If you got your iPhone 5 working, choose which reply helped you the most and click  "Accept as solution" at the bottom of the post.  This will help other users with the same problem as yours.  Cheers!  

@Bullet77 wrote:

A iPhone 4 has a micro sim card for size. A iPhone 5 has a Nano sim card ( smaller). If you do not have a breakaway card (it will be perforated, to make it smaller) you will need a sim card cutter or a new sim. I you literally took your sim card out of your i phone 4  the sim card and the card holder and put that into your iphone 5 it will not work

@Bullet77 No need for a sim card cutter, an x-acto knife and a straight edge will suffice quite easily.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A iPhone 4 has a micro sim card for size. A iPhone 5 has a Nano sim card ( smaller). If you do not have a breakaway card (it will be perforated, to make it smaller) you will need a sim card cutter or a new sim. If you literally took your sim card out of your i phone 4  the sim card and the card holder and put that into your iphone 5 it will not work

grizmel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

could not punch out, but had access to someone with an unused PM SIM card that they received at no cost, so all good 😄

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@grizmel 

As suggested by @Anonymous, always restart your phone and let the PM SIM card to configure your new phone.

If restart and iTune update does not work, create a support ticket to ask moderator to send a PM carrier file to your iPhone 5 and restart your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@grizmel wrote:

Ok, so I have gone into my account and changed my SIM card to the iPhone 5 PM SIM card and my change was accepted. But now neither phones have service.

How long does it take for the new SIM card to activate?

So you weren't able to "punch" out the smaller size SIM?

Your original SIM will be dead now.

The new SIM should be immediate after a restart. Make sure the "new" phone is unlocked. You might need to go into iTunes with USB and check for any updates.

Need Help? Let's chat.